Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to decide on suspension mod. options for my MY05 Forester 2.0 XT - UK Spec.

I like the idea of the 1" drop given by the JDM FSTi Pink Springs on standard struts. (Part numbers: ST2033088000 Front / ST2038088000 Rear)

The problem is that we lucky UK owners have self-levelling rear struts & I have read that this means no drop in the rear as the strut operation cancels it out.

That means I would need to swap out my OEM Self-levelling rears for some US spec non self-levelling rears.
Questions are:
a) Will the US struts fit
b) Should I look to buy 04 & 05 US XT struts only?

All pearls of wisdom gratefully received :)

·
Premium Member
3,143 Posts
Yes they will fit as the SLS is an 'internal' design . Given the weight and cost of shipping, it would probably be more effective to go with a KYB forester strut & just bring in the springs ...

Steve

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Steve,

Previous threads have given weight figures of approx:

25lbs for a set of 4 pink springs

40lbs for a pair of rear struts

US to UK surface mail rates would be about $125, (US Mail website prices).

It kinda depends on price being asked for used struts & maybe used springs.

Do you know which KYB strut model is correct for the rear of a Forester XT? I can then try to track some down over here.

·
Premium Member
3,143 Posts
Give KYB a call (01925 417444) ... they should know :)

Steve

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just phoned KYB - information given by women who answered was that none of their non self-levelling products would fit in place of a self-levelling Subaru Forester strut. :?

I am not sure that the person I spoke to really knew her stuff, she kept dropping the phone for starters. I had expected to get put through to a technical department but the person who picked up dealt with the query.

Rats!!! :x

·
Registered
04 XT Forester Manual
27 Posts
Been through this recently in OZ on my MY04 XT. We have self-levelling rears here too. I installed the pink STi springs with stock struts. Got them shipped from the US from subiegal. Dropped about an inch on the front and zero on the rear. I was initially disappointed with this, but now the slightly lower front does not worry me anymore. My girlfriend did not even notice a change.

Not sure about the KYBs as a replacement for the Forester self-levelling rears. Plenty of Foresters on www.gtrydaz.com have them on lowered XTs, but most are 2-4" drop. The two potential replacement struts I have come up with in OZ are from Pedders and Whiteline. Neither are cheap, about AUD$480 for a rear set.

If you want to keep ground clearance, put the pink springs on and see what you think with the stock struts. When my car gets to 100,000km in about a year, I will pull all 4 struts out and replace them anyway. If you really want to be a bit lower, consider the STi inverted struts from the Japanese STi Forester. Peaty over at scoobymods has a write up on going from the STi pink springs to the STi take-offs.

If you don't have an upgraded rear sway bar, I would do this first. Mandatory mod for all MY04 and MY05 XTs. Makes so much difference!

PM me with an e-mail address and I can send you some stuff about self-levelling rear strut replacements that was sent to me by Whiteline. It might make more sense why you got the response you did from KYB.

Nigel.

·
No more Foz !
03 Impreza Sti
1,912 Posts
excellent thread - I can't believe there is so little available in the UK for upgrading the stock struts / springs.
I'm definately interested in any info you guys can muster - I'm looking for a good forester specific upgrade with a 20mm drop or so without having to slam it into the floor.
MY06 FXT

my email addy is [email protected] if anyone can send me stuff..

Cheers
Pete

Oh btw there are some very nice Foresters specific Sti pink struts and springs available from Gruppe S in the states but price and postage to the Uk are prohibitive unless anyone knows of a better way to get them !

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nigel,

PM'd my email to you. Great response, I was aware of your suspension mod as I have been searching the threads on different forums including GTRydaz.

I may follow your example but it is really down to the cost of:

Second-hand US Struts plus JDM FSTi Pink Springs all shipped from the US
Versus
Second hand WRX Saloon(Sedan) Struts with Wagon rear springs bought here in UK

My feeling is that the WRX route will actually be cheaper if I can find them for an 05 (will 04 fit as well?). (Good info. from SuperRu re. use of Wagon rear springs posted on this forum yesterday)
Trouble is, I prefer to keep a bit more clearance. Why is nothing ever simple?

Still mulling things over

Ian

My girlfriend did not even notice a change
Sadly,in my experience, most women do notice an inch difference. :wink:

·
Premium Member
98 Forester...what else
5,714 Posts
Okay guys...

If you can get at least three people committed to buying the sets, I'll happily ship them over to Palatine, and he can distribute them from there.

·
No more Foz !
03 Impreza Sti
1,912 Posts
Re: Okay guys...

Roo said:
If you can get at least three people committed to buying the sets, I'll happily ship them over to Palatine, and he can distribute them from there.
Which sets are you referring to ? sorry being dense...

Can you get the Forester sti black struts and springs or the Forester sti pink upgrades as per Gruppe s ?

Cheers
Pete

·
Premium Member
98 Forester...what else
5,714 Posts
Re: Okay guys...

Bartop said:
Roo said:
Which sets are you referring to ? sorry being dense...

Can you get the Forester sti black struts and springs or the Forester sti pink upgrades as per Gruppe s ?

Cheers
Pete
I can get them through Gruppe-S, but I was referring to the stock OEM non-leveling struts.

·
Registered
04 XT Forester Manual
27 Posts
Forestier said:
Nigel,

PM'd my email to you. Great response, I was aware of your suspension mod as I have been searching the threads on different forums including GTRydaz.
No PM received. Send an e-mail directly to me at:
[email protected]

Subiegal seems to be a lot cheaper than Gruppe-S for the pink springs. Would love some of the pink STi struts on the Gruppe-S web site, but the cost is ridiculous.

Nigel.

·
Administrator
15,398 Posts
I replaced all my struts with KYB Excel-G. So I got rid of the self-levelling rear struts and springs. Kept the front springs and used +32% rated springs on the rear. $A1,240 all up.

It's correct to say that KYB don't make a replacement "self-levelling" strut but they do have a standard gas Excel-G strut. I've found it rides and handles better since the change.

·
No more Foz !
03 Impreza Sti
1,912 Posts
Many Thks for the info..
Is that a Forester specific strut ? What kind of drop does it give you ?
Do you have a part number ? Can I think of anymore questions ? :D :D

·
No more Foz !
03 Impreza Sti
1,912 Posts
Thought you guys might like to see a response I got from Mike Wood from Prodrive about a question I asked re poss future Forester suspension upgrades ;) Nothing new though I'm afraid although a perhaps a glimmer of possibility in the distant future :(

Pete

We are looking at various supension upgrades but most things are limited by the economics. As the car has self-levelling rear
dampers in the UK we can't just change the springs unless we maintain the std ride-height. If you lower the car, it just jacks
itself back up to the std height. This means that we'd have to change the dampers as well which starts to get expensive,
particularly as the anticipated volumes would be relatively low and the development costs would be the same as doing an Impreza
kit. Having said that, it is in my 06MY product plan and we did do something similar when the Forester was first launched in 1998
so it depends on how much time we've got with everything else we are working on.

I have been doing some work on bars with encouraging results on my 05MY car. This will continue on the 06MY car but we've still got
to get someone to make us what we need at a reasonable price.

Regards

Mike

·
Administrator
15,398 Posts

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nigel (aiki99),

email sent

Ian :)

BTW Subiegal has an offer on the pinks at $325 (normally $340)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts