Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Forester
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Simple question right? :confused:

I've read through all of the advantages and disadvantages of EL and UEL headers. Apparently, the consensus is (in general) that EL produces better horsepower gains while the UEL sound better. Many sources, including the coveted "white sheet" on NA performance, advise that the horsepower difference is marginal and highly subject to other mods to the intake / exhaust path in your vehicle.

One thing that is only lightly touched upon is the fact that UEL headers can cause unequal heat zones on your engine block, due to the difference in heat dissipation caused by the different length pipes.

Is this true and if so, what are the potential problems this can cause?

Are the potential problems moderate enough to make the boxer rumble worth it (i.e. I'll have to replace my header gaskets more frequently)?

My engine has 180k on it but runs great. I'm looking to slap some Borlas or knockoffs on for a little extra purr and moderate power gains, but I don't want to hurt anything.

Plenty of you are running the UEL headers and love them but I'd really like my Subie see another 100k

Let's keep this free of opinions because the potential pros and cons of each set up have been beaten to death, and the last thing we need is another EL VS UEL thread full of links to other threads. I just want to know If the heat problem exists and is worth considering.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
1,142 Posts
I've never even considered this. I don't know how much difference in heat is caused by UEL, but I'd think it has to be something quite big to cause any problems.

On my last car I ran borla replicas for a year with no problem, and there are lots others that's been running them a lot longer. I suspect you'd hear about it already if they are causing problems.

·
Registered
246 Posts
most newer factory exhaust manifolds are tubular in design and arent EL due to packaging constraints in the engine bay. Even so, old cast iron manifolds were nowhere near EL so I think the danger is nill

·
Registered
2000 Forester
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a feeling it was hogwash, due in part to the lack of ranting and/or raving about it here on the forum; it's just tough not to be paranoid when you're approaching 200k

It's kind of like "those new shoes will make grampa faster, but he might break a hip" :icon_razz:

Thanks for the replies guys, I'm pretty confident that I'll move forward with the headers worry free.

I'd still be interested to hear what others have to say though, any idea where this came from? Is it an old hot rodder's wive's tale? (Excuse the expression, Subie ladies).

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,458 Posts
I've never heard of this, and after all the stock headers are UEL as well... AFAIK, the only Subies that ever came with EL headers from the factory are the H6 models.

·
Registered
2000 Forester
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well it sounds like I got my answer! Bring on the rumble :woohoo:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts