Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Forester 2.5 Lineartronic CVT TR580
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on keeping my 2015 Forester for at least 5 years. When the time comes I will most likely aim for the 2019 Forester.

I use full synthetic engine oil.
I use Subaru's Carbon Clean product before every oil change.
I have an oil catch can on my current Fozzie, will surely install on the new one too.
I change my CVT fluid every 35k miles.

With that being said, do you guys expect the 2019 Forester to hold up for 10 years if maintained properly? If you have any experience please share it!

·
Registered
2019 RUN, Forester...RUN! Well...it varies!
17 Posts
I think any new car will last more than 10 years even with lousy maintenance. If engine and transmission oil changed and levels maintained, easy 200k miles any new car. Probably not if used as a taxi and lousily maintained used car

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,929 Posts
@AdrianFozz You are asking a question that can only be based on pure conjecture.
The 19 is basically a different car that looks the same, as the Forester is now on the "global platform".
As far as how long it will last... I wouldn't count on it lasting beyond the warranty.
The new Subies have some amazingly expensive replacement parts and are loaded with electronics that will hurt you bad in the wallet if (when) they go south.
The safe bet is to get an extended warranty and plan on selling the car while you still have some of that transferrable warranty left.
Subarus have historically had good resale value, so that is a way to minimize some of the impact.
Otherwise, it is a pure gamble as to whether you have a good reliable car or a paperweight that isn't worth the cost of repairs.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,342 Posts
If the above holds true it will be the same for any car maker, not just Subaru.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am mostly concerned about the engine. Since its a direct injected boxer I dont really trust it.
Subaru was my favorite car brand but theres definitely a quality decline over the years.
Perhaps it is time to try something else.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,342 Posts
Are you saying the direct injection is more of a problem on a boxer engine than a non-boxer engine? If so, why is that?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
475 Posts
The reputation of Subaru rests on this Global Platform, as such I expect it to be as durable as any previous platform. Are there exceptions? Sure, they prove the rule. I purchased the 8 year 120,000 mile warranty to be certain that any issues are covered. Component failures tend to show up in the first 100,000 miles. Factory replacement parts for the repairs tend to be updated.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,215 Posts
I am mostly concerned about the engine. Since its a direct injected boxer I dont really trust it.
Subaru was my favorite car brand but theres definitely a quality decline over the years.
Perhaps it is time to try something else.
So you said on your first post you were going to buy another one and now you way the DI engine is unreliable and are looking at something else. :shrg:

·
Registered
2013/14 2.5i-L CVT
798 Posts
Since its a direct injected boxer I dont really trust it.
Subaru has been making DI engines for a while, all the Forester XTs since MY '14, WRX since MY '15, the Legacy 2.0 GT from MY '12 and Subaru BRZ/Toyoto 86 from 2013. I don't recall any systemic issues being reported here on XTs.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport Lineartronic® CVT
162 Posts
I used to be concerned obsessively about electronics …. 30-40 years ago. Then as life went on, I saw how well '70s and '80s tech was surviving. I had a '85 Ford Thunderbird with a lot of electronics for it's day and sold it in 2009. I have a '92 and '95 T-bird now, both loaded for their time, no issues. Our '01 Merc we've had since 2001, never but one issue, a bad blower resistor. I had a 1985 GoldWing GL-1200 Aspencade from 1995 until just last month, never an electrical issue except a fuse and a tape drive failure (belt broke). My '77 Ford F-150 had it's still OEM Motorcraft Duraspark Ign. Module up until about 100 miles ago, those things got a bum rap.

I may get "bit" tomorrow for saying this, but given reasonable car, I expect our '19 Sport to last a very long time. It has it's spot on the carport out of the weather. I know it has 32 or 36 computers according to salesman, so I got a 8 year warranty extension.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,929 Posts
If the above holds true it will be the same for any car maker, not just Subaru.
Good point - I wasn't saying Subaru has he only issue in this regard, but the OP was asking that question.
The problem with it and most new offerings are the increasingly complex and expensive things that go wrong and do.
Back in the day, cars were not as reliable, but they were also much easier and less expensive to fix.
If someone is expecting a car to last beyond the warranty - It might - But the cost of a major repair can easily exceed the value of the car. It is a much safer bet to plan on replacing a car when you can get maximum resale, rather than having to invest
more than the car is worth
in repairs after the warranty expires.

Forbes says the new Subaru Forester is one of the top 5 vehicles to run for more than 250,000 miles.
That is based on complete conjecture to the future using historical length of ownership as the primary driver, and if you read the article, it is dubious at best. None of the prior incarnations had anywhere near the level of features that people have already reported failures on, so to say the future will reflect the past is risky.

I'm sure if your car breaks down after your factory warranty expires, consumer reports and Forbes will buy you a new one. So there you go. Don't waste your money on the warranty because it will never have a problem.
That sounds smart.

·
Registered
2003 Forester X manual
1,275 Posts
ABSOLUTELY!! If you take care of it, it will take care of you in my book. Plus Consumer Reports loved the car, it is always at the top of any and all lists, and its customer satisfaction is excellent and CR said its reliability was very good. (y)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks to everyone for their opinion.
Let me answer some of your quotes.
I never really liked direct injection engines, never will. I said I will most likely buy a Forester but that doesnt mean I like the di boxer in it.
I said I will most likely aim for a Forester because Subaru is not just a car brand, in fact it is considered as a really special brand in my country. I like the community, I like the feel of freedom I get this car and I am ready to maintain it the best way possible.
And when I said it is kinda worse on a boxer engine, on theory the carbonisation should be less, but then, it is harder to reach the engine cause it sits so low. The Forester has its character and all but if it is going to destroy itself from the inside before 200k thats a no no for me.
Of course I may be completely wrong. Thats why I collect opinions. Keep posting them. You guys are awesome!

·
Registered
2019 Sport CVT
7 Posts
I just completed an accelerated life testing interval and my calculations show that it will last 22.3 years with normal maintenance.....
What? Need to explain this to me.

On my 3 Subie 11th vehicle and haven't heard of an Accelerated Life test for a personal car before. Maybe on a dyno but I'm sure you didn't just strap your new sport down and just feed it gas and oil.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts