Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Touring CVT
41 Posts
@teddy_41

Hi, I think they're fantastic but I have them paired with Cusco shocks. I have never installed them with the OEM shocks, but I have read others stating that the ride is a bit bouncy and lead to premature OEM shock failure. Also, I'm on the 2018 19" sti rims not 17". Just note that you'll need wheel adapters because it's not the same lug pattern as our Foresters.

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT Manual
30 Posts
I was able to install 225/65/17's on my '06 Forester with stock suspension and they fit just fine and do not rub anywhere.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi guys, about to try on the SK stock suspension

Motegi MR 138 Gold
19× 8.5 , offset 35

Kumho PS71
245 45 19

Wish me a luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey total noob to this forum and there's similar Q&A but I like specifics too...
Just picked up a 2012 Forester 2.5x Premium with 17,000 miles, stock/no lift (225/55r17). I've been comparing A/T tire sizes and looking for suggestions. I don't want to buy new rims in a smaller size or do a lift, so either looking at Falken Wildpeak A/T trail (stock 225/55r17)...Toyo Open Country or Yoko Geo A/T G015 (225/60r17)...Yoko Geo A/T G015 (215/60r17). I am sure there might even be other size options BUT I'm hoping for either zero or minimal cosmetic only rubbing. I do 70% on-road 30% off-road BUT all the off-road has gravel or small sharp rocks and ruts, etc.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT
285 Posts
Thinking of going to 225/65-17 Wildpeak Trails on my 19 Forester stock suspension. I've seen a lot of posts where people say this size fits, but looking for more detailed info. What about rub when driving offload, with decent load etc. Tough decision for me. Thanks for any input!
I recommend a meditation session lying on your back and looking under your car, half-up on a curb - especially at the front tires at peak steering angles, both directions. I haven't gone to anything non-stock myself, but both the circumference of non-stock tires, and the section width, look pretty tight on my '17 Forester XT (stock 225/55-18). I think my tires are the same width & circ as yours. Going to 225/65 would mean you'd have a tire radius 11.5 mm larger (65% of 225 minus 60% of 225). If I recall what I saw correctly, a big radius tire looked prone to rub at the front of the front wheel well. a big section-width tire (e.g. 235mm) looked prone to rub the suspension arm at the back of the front wheel. My own speculative mod for my car is to go to 235/55-18 or 225/60-18 on 18x8 wheels; I still haven't drawn any final conclusions.

·
Registered
04 FXT 4EAT 85k
3 Posts
Hey guys, so I’ve been doing a lot of digging into wheels and tires. I just want to run this by anyone who has a moment. I’m sitting on swifts, stock struts and a butt spacer. I’m going with 16” x 7” +53 off an rs or something. I want to put 235 x 65. I’m 96% it will fit, given the calculators and tools. I’m also pretty sure I’m going to get the look I’m thinking. Anybody running a similar set up?

·
Administrator
15,760 Posts
G'day & Welcome aboard @Roon

Did your calculations take into account that +53 will move the rim and tire 5mm closer to the suspension? This will mean you are at risk of hitting the spring perch.

·
Registered
04 FXT 4EAT 85k
3 Posts
Well it would be pretty tight, but seeing some of the set ups and wiggling my fingers around in there, I’m feeling relatively confident. I know the strut clearance is seemingly the limiting factor here, but I’m sure I’ve got the 5mm to spare, I’m not 100% that I won’t have to get a spacer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Trying to work out if these would fit my 2019 Forester, AUS base model, but with the S model 18in wheels currently.

Looking at this set of 18 in WRX (STI style) which i believe are 8.5 wide and ET55 offset wheels ...i would be putting on my existing tyres 225/60/18's. Would these fit??

Im thinking the issue will be the offset....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi folks, need to replace the shoes on my 05 XT, currently running 225/40/18 and was was looking at beefing things up with either a 235/45/18 or 245/40/18, wheels are ROH RF1, +40mm offset, 8" in width. I'm concerned the proposed sizes will either rub when full lock or wont fit under the strut assembly, thanks for any advice!!

FYI I'm running stock suspension and no spacers.

Apologizes if this question has been answered in a previous post, couldn't seem to find anything.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any fitment or rubbing issues with -

2017 Forester 2.5i
Stock ride height/ stock suspension

BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A KO2 215/75R15
MR502 Rally VT-Spec 15x7 +15

thank you for your time!

·
Registered
4 Posts
New Forester owner here, just purchased a 2021 Forester Premium. Need to add a winter wheel/tire.

Stock is:
17x7 48 offset OEM wheel
225/60R17 Briggstone ECOPIA 422 Plus (totally crap tire to be replace next summer)

Typically I would go minus 1, but some tire sites seem to think a 16” wheel is a no-go. I’m not sure why (maybe brake clearance?). So I started looking for 17” tires. I’m pretty partial to the Blizzaks. Had good luck on several vehicles. Unfortunately they don’t come in the stock size. I really don’t want to change circumference much at all. So then I start looking for slightly narrower, but with bigger ratio. Here is where I ended up.

Proposed winters:
17x7.5 40 offset Motegi MR139
215/65R17 Blizzak W90
Weight of this combo about the same as OEM

All the calculators seem to indicate it works, but with 7mm scrub.

Questions:
- Anyone running a 16x7” wheel on a 2021 successfully (so I could go back to the minus 1 plan)? What offset?
If not,
  • Does the small scrub difference on my proposed setup really matter on a Forester (handling)?
  • Am I being stupid to give up the 10mm on tire width? (Some would say narrower is better in the snow anyway)
  • What would be your go to setup on a 2021?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Forester Premium
3 Posts
New Forester owner here, just purchased a 2021 Forester Premium. Need to add a winter wheel/tire.

Stock is:
17x7 48 offset OEM wheel
225/60R17 Briggstone ECOPIA 422 Plus (totally crap tire to be replace next summer)

Typically I would go minus 1, but some tire sites seem to think a 16” wheel is a no-go. I’m not sure why (maybe brake clearance?). So I started looking for 17” tires. I’m pretty partial to the Blizzaks. Had good luck on several vehicles. Unfortunately they don’t come in the stock size. I really don’t want to change circumference much at all. So then I start looking for slightly narrower, but with bigger ratio. Here is where I ended up.

Proposed winters:
17x7.5 40 offset Motegi MR139
215/65R17 Blizzak W90
Weight of this combo about the same as OEM

All the calculators seem to indicate it works, but with 7mm scrub.

Questions:
- Anyone running a 16x7” wheel on a 2021 successfully (so I could go back to the minus 1 plan)? What offset?
If not,
  • Does the small scrub difference on my proposed setup really matter on a Forester (handling)?
  • Am I being stupid to give up the 10mm on tire width? (Some would say narrower is better in the snow anyway)
  • What would be your go to setup on a 2021?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hi,
I have a similar scenario. Newbie here so here goes.
I just purchased a 2020 Forester Premium. I traded my 2016 Forester Premium for it. I have 16" rims with snow tires already mounted. They were great on my 2016 for fit and are only one season old. I see that the 2020 has a different bolt pattern and so the setup won't fit. I'd like to keep my 16"ers. Is there any options to be able to put them on the 2020? I really don't have the money for all new tires and rims.

Thanks,
Ralph

21 - 40 of 40 Posts