Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Subaru Forester Lineartronic CVT
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really want both the turbo engine and the 440 watt sound system HOWEVER - I mostly want a Bronze colored Forester. Unfortunately I will have to move overseas to get one like this. Plan B is to get the 2.5i for the bronze with the sound system. I am used to my beloved Honda CR-V which doesn't have very good pick up, so it's not as if a non-turbo would be a step down. My question is should I pay the extra 3 grand and get a 2.0XT (sound + turbo) but sacrifice the beautiful burnished bronze ? I don't do that much highway driving.
Thanks!:Banane08:

·
Forester of the Year 2014
SJ XT Premium CVT
2,818 Posts
Since you created a thread on this......you will regret not getting the XT. lol

Drive both, that should make your decision easier. You could always custom paint your XT. =)

·
Registered
2008 XT Sport 5 MT
213 Posts
Answer is yes. What's 3 g's in the grand scheme of things

·
Registered
2014 Forester xt touring CVT
9 Posts
You probably already answered your own question. The XT has a couple of interesting features other than a turbo and 440w HK speakers. 3 transmission modes to choose from, paddle shifters for quick burst of speed, larger front disc brakes, 18" wheels, dual exhaust, did I hear you mention a 250hp turbo engine with premium 440w sound? :woohoo:

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
12,780 Posts
Read these:

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f151/do-i-need-turbo-252130/

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f151/turbo-worth-not-176249/ - Don't let this thread end up like that one.

Are you really going to sacrifice what you want because the color is not your first choice? When inside the car and driving, what difference does the outside color make?

My suggestion would be to buy the car you want to drive, not the car you want as a fashion accessory.

Also, for what it is worth to you, there are dealers speculating that Burnished Bronze may be discontinued for 2015. Not a very popular color in the US for any trim level, which is also evident in our poll.

·
Registered
2014 2.0 XT Touring CVT
85 Posts
Torque. 235nm (173 lb/ft) vs 350nm (255 lb/ft). Power isn't everything (well... it's nice), but torque at lower speeds is. Your get up and go in S mode is fabulous - right in the thick of traffic where you need it for quick bursts. It makes travel a whole lot more pleasant and stress free.

We can get the XT Premium (Touring in USA) in Burnished Bronze here in Australia.

·
Registered
2002 ES300
4,412 Posts
Getting the XT mean sacrificing the manual transmission option. Maybe not a big deal if you didn't want it to begin with. I say import a Burnished Bronze XT from overseas. It is a sweet color.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,710 Posts
You couldn't give me a turb0, bc I don't have the slightest desire for one. But for those who want one (and can afford it)...many would regret not getting it.

·
Registered
2014 Forester AT
4 Posts
The simple solution is to never drive an XT. What difference is 70 horsepower going to make anyway, right?
Like said above drive them both. Are you really buying a forester because of its performance? or because of everything else? practicality, efficiency(non turbo), AWD, reliability?

owning a few cars that are 300 plus HP, sports car and performance sedan, I can tell you that I really appreciate the non turbo. The lack of power compared to the turbo was a concern for me but after driving it I was surprised. I love that I don't have to put "Premium" fuel any more! and its plenty of power for putting around. For me, I thought the power was sufficient enough for 90% of my driving. No regrets in getting the non turbo, and yes I could afford the turbo.

·
Premium Member
2013 Battle Wagon The Lazy One
1,358 Posts
If you get the TURBO you wont be like me and wish you did. I say if you have the money to, then DO IT!

·
Registered
2011 FXT 4EAT
90 Posts
I was going through the same dilemma in 2011. I couldn't decide between the two. I also came from a 99 CRV. Long story short, after A LOT of research on this forum I came across someone that said "you don't need a turbo, but you NEED a turbo." That was the tipping point and I got a turbo. No regrets. At one point I had to get a loaner because of work being done on the XT and I got a N/A. I had to go to my property in WV and during the drive, I really missed the XT's pep. Granted even flogging the engine in the N/A, it still returned good gas mileage. However, on this tank of gas on my XT traveling to and from DC being light on the pedal, I am showing 27 MPG and have two bars left on the fuel gauge which is great for my driving style.

Like others have said, if you started this thread asking about regretting not getting a turbo, I think you have foreshadowed what is to come if you do not get a turbo.

·
Registered
2012 Forester 5 speed
10 Posts
When I bought my car, there were several reasons I didn't get the XT. First was no manual transmission. Second was price, it was several thousand more than my X premium. Third was fuel economy, and the fact that it needed premium gas.

·
Registered
2013 Forester XT 4EAT
978 Posts
In 2012 I test drove an NA 4EAT Premium, I was willing to settle. I drove a 140hp Civic at the time. The wife wasn't impressed with the power.

Later that year I test drove an XT. Then my wife drove it. Well you should know the rest of the story.

Turbo engines make way more seat of the pants torque than the NA on the SH. I haven't driven any SJ's to pass judgement.

·
Premium Member
2014 2.0 XT yes
2,752 Posts
The turbo car is very nice to drive at all speeds in all conditions. There's plenty of torque everywhere you need it. The suspension is nicely sorted, and the braking performance is superior.

Whether not having the above would cause regret, I have no idea. It wasn't a tough decision for me, but I'm not sensitive to purchase price, fuel economy or maintenance. I simply picked the model with the highest performance.

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
228 Posts
You will regret it. Don't even go anywhere near the base model with it's puny little engine.

·
Premium Member
12 Premium 5-speed
4,486 Posts
If it were me, and it's not, I'd regret not getting the stick more than I would regret not getting the turbo.

So the best solution is to pick up a used 04-08 XT :biggrin:

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
430 Posts
Since you created a thread on this......you will regret not getting the XT. lol

Drive both, that should make your decision easier. You could always custom paint your XT. =)
True statement right here. I drove the 2.5i first and then drove the 2.0XT and it was day and night. Acceleration, handeling and braking were all better. Plus the interior on them XT is much nicer with the bolster seating. Ultimately though, it comes down to hoe much you want to spend...

1 - 20 of 52 Posts