Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
04 forester xt
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
the thing that bothers me the most about my xt is that i get a jerking motion when i let off the clutch in lower gears. when the pedal nears the top there is a lunge, it feels like either driveline slop or something to do with the clutch.

things i have installed. groupn tranny mount
kartboy outrigger bushings,
front shifter bushing,xmember bushings

i still have stock motor mounts and pitch stop. searching for this problem, i read that the aftermarket pitch helps with the lunging in between gear changes. if i step on the gas in first and then shift into second, the car just lunges big time and has a pause before it gets going again. its like fast shifting a bucket truck or a bus. i know that some of this has to do with suby 5spd and all, but there has to be a way to improve it. my friends sti does not do this. he said to get a pully to help with the surging. he said it helped his sti

my xt is stage 2 protuned with stock airbox,85k miles. i thought a good tune might help,but didnt. does anyone just have the groupn pitch stop installed and still have stock motor mount?

·
Registered
04 forester xt
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i might just go ahead and get the groupn motor mounts and see if it helps. ive read alot of good reviews on them

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,015 Posts
I hate to say this, but is it an operator issue causing the jerkyness?
I can't say mine is all that jerky in the lower gears unless I've been sitting in traffic for a while and my leg is getting tired.

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
4,167 Posts
Do this mod. It helps and is cheap. It takes away the slop from the friction point in the clutch. It will increase NVH though, particularly when you start the car. It's like the starter is in the car with you. But after a week you won't notice anymore, my wife didn't pick up on it.

It does not get rid of the jerky slop when in stop and go. These cars are just that way, you can't pop off the throttle in 1st and 2nd in traffic like you can in an Audi or Porsche...

I have stock motor mounts and the STi/group N pitch mount. It's a good mod, simple to perform and cheap.

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT Limited
1,870 Posts
I was looking into this Mod and and i think I asked Roo, but would the STi pitch stop be a better upgrade or should I just go with the Group N or other aftermarket..?
Gracias.

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
4,167 Posts
I think the Groupe N and STi are the same. I could be wrong. I would go with the STi one. It's exactly the same as the Forester's, but the rubber bushings are much much stiffer. I wouldn't get one with the poly bushings as I think the benefits aren't that great and the NVH would be worse...

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT Limited
1,870 Posts
OK sweet .. I found a real cheap one.. Thanks

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
Group N and STI are NOT the same. Group Ns are slightly stiffer. You may also want to consider Kartboy's pitch mount since the bushings around the bolt supposedly help control the increase in NVH. Also, if you go Group N motor mounts, they will SIGNIFICANTLY increase NVH, and you wouldn't need an upgrade pitch mount then.

Difference: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f70/pitch-mount-question-72818/

·
Registered
2006 sti
99 Posts
There seems to be 2 pitch dampers both say they are STI group N:
ST4100055140
D1040FE000

The first one is of heavier construction.

Would like the top one, but trying to find one in the U.K. is not easy.

Paul

·
Registered
8,294 Posts
Yeah it's gotten too confusing with the PNs and some say the 05-07 STI pitch mount looks and feels the same as the Group Ns so I'm not sure what is right anymore. Aftermarket is much easier to figure out. :lol:

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,759 Posts
Group N and STI are NOT the same. Group Ns are slightly stiffer. You may also want to consider Kartboy's pitch mount since the bushings around the bolt supposedly help control the increase in NVH. Also, if you go Group N motor mounts, they will SIGNIFICANTLY increase NVH, and you wouldn't need an upgrade pitch mount then.

Difference: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f70/pitch-mount-question-72818/

A friend of mine just did Cusco mounts on his STI Impreza. Yes the NVH increase is significant and noticeable. How "quiet" is the Kartboy's ? I'd like to hear a sound clip from a Forester without/then with one. I found his Cusco too loud for my liking in a DD.

·
Registered
8,294 Posts
I don't know myself (but would like to know, considering it's more than TWICE the price of a group N). This is what I got from reading NASIOC threads (hence the word "supposedly" in there :lol: )

Concerning ST4100055140 & D1040FE000..
It looks like there was a change somewhere in 05 or 06 with the pitch stops. The dogbone design changed, as did the PN, and the way the bushing is housed in the dogbone is different too. D1040FE000, along with another similar PN, has a thinner dogbone as you said and ST4100055140 looks to be an older PN (I'm not sure we can order with it anymore) that has the beefy dogbone as seen in most pictures. Not seeing straight answers as to which one is the better one though, as most of the work is in the bushing anyway.

Here's ST4100055140 (supposedly more movement of the bushing, thicker dogbone):

Here's D1040FE000 (less movement of the bushing, thinner dogbone, SUPPOSEDLY feels the same as 05-07 STI stock pitch mount bushings):

·
Registered
2004 fxt A/T
2,567 Posts
A friend of mine just did Cusco mounts on his STI Impreza. Yes the NVH increase is significant and noticeable. How "quiet" is the Kartboy's ? I'd like to hear a sound clip from a Forester without/then with one. I found his Cusco too loud for my liking in a DD.
There was a video of a guy with a pretty THICK accent that did exactly this but in a WRX iirc. You couldn't really hear the difference on the tape, but he gives a pretty good commentary.

·
Registered
04 forester xt
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well i went ahead and ordered the groupn motor mounts from tic. i already have the tranny mount. ive had motor mounts on my b14 ser and spec v, so i can deal with the vibes at idle. in those cars it helped big time. the "friction point" is a good way to explain it. it sucks to have to feather it so much to keep it from happening.

i think that with the other mods stiffening the mid and back it just made the front slop stick out more and it has the wiggle on start up. and just going stage 2, im also getting a bunch of wastegate flutter . im trying to get the xt where i want it before upgrading turboes.

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT Limited
1,870 Posts
If I get the STi version, which appears to be (D1040FE000) the thinner of the "dog Bones," I will let you know if i feel a difference. Not sure what to expect though.. Sorry to have jacked the thread.. :)

·
Registered
04 forester xt
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
motor mounts are installed and im about to head off to work to see if it helps. i drove a lil with them and already know that it didnt cure the problem. oh and im not getting any vibs or noises maybe a very slight vibe at idle but you can barely notice it . im gonna try the pitch mount next

im also gonna clean my grounds on the engine. one of the grounding points next to the pitchmount has black grease looking stuff that needs to be cleaned.the other grounds looked clean. ill also clean the maf .i keep the maf clean so it probably wont help much

1 - 16 of 16 Posts