Registered
2004 FXT
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have sitting in my place:

Carbotech Panther + pads
Racing Brake rotors
H6 adapters

When I put this on, I was thinking of removing the dust shields so the brake get more air for cooling...

do you think it's a good idea ? I can't imagine a lot of water spilling on them since the wheels pushes the water away from the rotor...

·
admin
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
7,250 Posts
I just bent mine back, no problems either.:D

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
Woo.. Bending back.. Okay.. I was wondering about this for my H6 upgrade which is coming also.. =)

·
admin
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
7,250 Posts
ZuMBLe said:
Woo.. Bending back.. Okay.. I was wondering about this for my H6 upgrade which is coming also.. =)
I used a pair of flat bars to gently push the dust shield back out of the way. It only takes a few minutes.:D

·
Registered
2004 FXT
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I was actually thinking of removing them to give them more cooling air... not so much concerned with clearance issues...

Any links on how to remove them ?

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,450 Posts
I had mine taken off completely. They're not really necessary for on-road driving, and leaving them off provides more airflow to the rotors.

·
Registered
2002 Forester L
170 Posts
The dust shield serves a purpose if you ever get a busted outer cv boot and not notice it fast enough. The grease can get on your inner side of the disc.

·
Registered
2004 FXT
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is an old thread, but thought I'd post some info...

I notice now that if it's raining outside, then my first stop after awhile will take a LOT longer, it's as if there's water on the rotor/pads that need to be shed...

I didn't notice this before, and even when I switched from the Panther Plus (they are on sale, too aggressive for me) to HPS, I still had the same problem...

My recommendation, leave the dust shields on... they're more... water shields than dust shields... lol...

·
Registered
2001 forester L
73 Posts
I'm not positive on the lay out, but I think you can just drill a few holes in a place where water can't get to them and some air will still go through.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts