Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2009 forester
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ALL:

Currently contemplating a new arrangement for the blending of stock and aftermarket in my 09 plus I want to use stuff I already have. So here goes...
I'm using the factory HU and would like to incorporate a two channel amp I already own (a Profile AP400) to power a pair of Blaupunkt components... tI already own. However, I like the aesthetics of the factory tweeters I purchased some time ago. If I use the Blaupunkt tweeters I would have to flush mount them on the old triangles which to me... looks a little goofy. The Profile pushes 65W RMS X 2 into a 4 ohm load. I'm not worried about the Blaupunkt woofers, but do I need to worry about damage to the factory tweeters? Also, should i use the crossover that comes with the Blaupunkts? How are the factory tweeters crossed over? I've read different things.

·
Registered
2009 Premium X AT
866 Posts
ALL:

Currently contemplating a new arrangement for the blending of stock and aftermarket in my 09 plus I want to use stuff I already have. So here goes...
I'm using the factory HU and would like to incorporate a two channel amp I already own (a Profile AP400) to power a pair of Blaupunkt components... tI already own. However, I like the aesthetics of the factory tweeters I purchased some time ago. If I use the Blaupunkt tweeters I would have to flush mount them on the old triangles which to me... looks a little goofy. The Profile pushes 65W RMS X 2 into a 4 ohm load. I'm not worried about the Blaupunkt woofers, but do I need to worry about damage to the factory tweeters? Also, should i use the crossover that comes with the Blaupunkts? How are the factory tweeters crossed over? I've read different things.
Wait, so are you hooking up the Tweeters to the amp or just the Blaupunkt components?

The OEM tweeters work fine for me... And I'm running an aftermarket Clarion HU, a Kenwood Excelon 4channel 50watt rms amp to my front Alpine Type S speakers and my Kicker 07DS600 rear speakers, and a 200watt rms infinity basslink sub in the trunk... The set up for me works amazing, and the factory tweeters sound just fine... I wanted to maintain the factory tweeter location as well so i went with this solution, and the tweeters handle it all, even when i've got my system fully cranked up. :rock:

·
Registered
2009 forester
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes I will be using the factory tweeters IN PLACE OF the Blaupunkt tweeters, so i wanted to know if they would stand up with a 65W RMS amp, which... from the sounds of it they'll work fine if i read your post correcty. Are you powering the factory tweeters with your amp? I don't think the tweeters take most of the power anyway right? I mean it's the woofers that require all the energy?

How do you like the bass link? I just did the most extensive install to date a couple days ago. I used my Profile to power a Bazooka tube and a Kenwood 4CH to power the 4 mains. I mounted both amps in the foam try. I was disappointed with the sound however (long story, too long to write right now). I'm kind of a fuddy duddy when it comes to things, very quick to change when I don't like something. Needless to say, I'm sending a couple pieces back to Crutchfield. So... I'm planning something new now and will probably post when i have time to install.

Thanks for the insight.

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited
1,542 Posts
You should be fine with them. Tweeters are pretty tough. I actually prefer more power than the speakers can handle so I get a more clear sound (of course not using the amp at full tilt). More speakers blow due to underpowering than overpowering.

·
Registered
41 Posts
There are two factors, regarding amplifiers, that destroy drivers; overexcursion and distortion.

Overexcursion is caused by sending a signal to the driver which causes the voice coil to move the diaphram beyond its mechanical limits. This can cause physical damage to both of these components as well as generate more heat than the voice coil was designed for.

Distortion occurs when an amplifier attempts to produce a waveform beyond its maximum power output. It results in a clipped peak in the waveform, which turns the instantaneous peaks into sustained plateaus. Assuming the peak does not push the mechanical limits of the driver, this large "flash" of power does not cause much heat to be generated because it is very brief. However, when the waveform is clipped, the maximum sustained output of the amplifier is sent to the driver for the duration of the signal peak. Tweeters are especially at risk because, with their small voice coils, they will heat very quickly and melt the extremely thin wires in the voice coil.

Essentially, every driver will only play as loud as allowed by it's mechanical limitations. An extremely large amplifier driving very small speakers will never cause damage as long as the speakers are not asked to play beyond louder than they were meant to play. But a small amplifier driving large speakers will damage their tweeters if the amplifier is pushed beyond its capabilities.

Heat kills speakers (especially tweeters). Too much power is better than too little power, but every driver has a mechanical limits. If you hear "popping" when your system is playing, you are overexcurting a driver. Distortion is generally not heard until it is too late.

·
Registered
2009 Premium X AT
866 Posts
yes I will be using the factory tweeters IN PLACE OF the Blaupunkt tweeters, so i wanted to know if they would stand up with a 65W RMS amp, which... from the sounds of it they'll work fine if i read your post correcty. Are you powering the factory tweeters with your amp? I don't think the tweeters take most of the power anyway right? I mean it's the woofers that require all the energy?

How do you like the bass link? I just did the most extensive install to date a couple days ago. I used my Profile to power a Bazooka tube and a Kenwood 4CH to power the 4 mains. I mounted both amps in the foam try. I was disappointed with the sound however (long story, too long to write right now). I'm kind of a fuddy duddy when it comes to things, very quick to change when I don't like something. Needless to say, I'm sending a couple pieces back to Crutchfield. So... I'm planning something new now and will probably post when i have time to install.

Thanks for the insight.
Yeah, You read my post correct, all my door speakers are connected to my amp, while the tweeters just stay connected to the head unit. They sound great, although i've had to lower there EQ settings since the louder i make it, the higher pitch the tweeters become... They deliver at the high end, without having any distortion or cracking.

From what I've heard about the bazooka, it can make quite a racket.... Not the most accurate, but will boom.... but the basslink is great for me. I was looking for something compact to save trunk space (I am an Architecture major of course haha), but i wanted to maintain clarity and really defined, well pronounced bass... not a bass that could be heard from a mile away :biggrin: It actally reproduces the bass extremely well, and works best in an open trunk. I did a lot of research on it, and found that others have complained about it when its restrained in for example the trunk of an impreza. But for a Forester, it is the exact sound i was looking for... and i can feel it in the car, along with seeing my side view mirrors rattle a bit, but just don't expect it to be heard from far away. oh and also, it comes with a wired remote that i had run up to the front so I can easily adjust the frequency and response settings of the bass when needed.

·
Registered
2009 forester
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone know how the factory tweeters are crossed over? If i go with the configuration I discussed earlier I will be powering the factory tweeters with the profile amp (along with the Blaupunkt woofers/midbass). I was thinking of using the crossovers that come with the Blaupunkts but I wondered how that would sound? If the factory tweeters are already "crossed over" it would be like adding a crossover to a crossover. LOL. I could wire both ways, but I'd rather save time if someone would like to comment. Also, does anyone have pictures of aftermarket tweeters they've mounted in the factory triangles of a 2009?

·
Registered
159 Posts
How big are the Blaupunkt tweeters? Which component set is it? They will probably fit in the factory tweeter mounts. If you can not pull the factory tweeters out of the mounts you can always buy the factory mounts themselves for $25. The Blaupunkt tweeters are going to sound much better than the factory tweeters and they are designed for your crossover. I very much doubt that the factory tweeters will take 65 watts RMS.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I added a two channel Rockford-Fosgate amp (24 watts/channel; $12 on ebay) to power the front co-axial Blau's in my '01 Forester with the factory HU. The factory tweeters are also on that setup with no problems in the past two years or so. The HU powers my Blaus in the rear doors. The sound is a little tinny and I've been thinking about disconnecting the tweeters in the front door co-axials. But there's no distortion and no popping.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts