Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester CVT
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2010 Forester has a 5 speed manual. Anyone have the factory remote start installed on their Forester with a 5 speed ? If yes, how do you like it and what did it cost.
thanks

·
Registered
2001 Forester
1,142 Posts
Now, I'm sure that someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I cannot see remote start working on a manual transmission car, seeing as the clutch has to be engaged for it to start.

·
Super Moderator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
17,790 Posts
Now, I'm sure that someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I cannot see remote start working on a manual transmission car, seeing as the clutch has to be engaged for it to start.
That's the easiest part of the job. It's just a simple switch attached to the clutch pedal. Some members here have disabled it just in its own right, not associated with remote start. It's how you rescue your Forester if it stalls on the railroad tracks and the train is coming!

·
Registered
2009 Forester (MT)
226 Posts
My 2010 Forester has a 5 speed manual. Anyone have the factory remote start installed on their Forester with a 5 speed ? If yes, how do you like it and what did it cost.
thanks
I have one on my 2009 Forester with MT. When I bought it, I talked the sales person into having one installed for me, and he authorized the installation with a local shop (not the dealer's shop). The place I took the car to specializes in that sort of stuff, audio system installations, and so forth.

It should not be illegal in any State, as far as I know, as long as the work is done professionally. The reason why it isn't illegal is because on manual transmissions the starter only works through the parking brake switch, clutch, brake pedal, etc., and it's done by an authorized shop.

To activate it, do as follows (with the motor running):

1. Press and hold the brake pedal.

2. Engage the parking brake until the BRAKE light in the dash illuminates, then release the parking brake. Wait a second or two, and reengage the parking brake once more until the red light illuminates again, and leave it engaged. At this time you will notice the green-color headlight lamp illuminate in the dash. Release the brake pedal.

3. Turn the ignition switch OFF, and pull the key out. The motor will continue running. You will have approximately one minute to do the following: get out of the car, and shut the door close. The motor will stop running. Right away, lock the doors with the car's remote, or with the starter's remote. It's now armed.

Remember:
-Engine running
-Brake pedal pressed
-Pull parking brake once, release, and a second later set the parking brake once more
-Headlight illuminates in the dash
-Release the brake pedal
-Turn the motor off
-Pull the key out of the ignition switch
-Exit the car
-Lock the doors with the remote (s)

If you decide to open the door (s) after the system is armed, the door will disarm it automatically.
If you start the car with the remote, you can open the door, and sit down. The motor will continue running, but will immediately stop if you press the brake pedal, or release the parking brake. I am certain that if you press the clutch pedal (engage the clutch), the motor will stop running.
--------
I would recommend you have the work done by the dealership, or by the shop that dealership recommends.

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT CVT
3,083 Posts
I actually put my brother's thunder bird super coupe through my parents' garage door with his remote start but he did leave it in gear with the e-brake off so I blamed him. Was kind of cool watching the car start up and just about pull the front tires off the ground though.

·
Super Moderator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
17,790 Posts
Pleiad7 has stated in other threads remote starters are illegal on MT vehicles in California. Laws in other states certainly might vary.

·
Registered
02 Foz 4eat
5,548 Posts
I've had them in stalled with my 5 and 6 speed MT's. My buddy is an expert installer and has done installs for most of my family.

As mentioned above, it's aftermarket only. I recommend the Viper line of products (or Avital--same company). You have to get a spare key made and programmed, or pay a little more for the special modulator to mimic the key for startup.

And, remember to park with the e-brake and not in gear.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts