Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
0614 X & 2.5iP 4eat & CVT
121 Posts
Thanks for letting me know. Finally getting mine installed today and going to put them at 36 psi to start. Might have to buy the adf kit since we haul a bit of weight when we drive cross country every year. Hoping you can update after you get that on yours @Barclay. You've been a great help with all this.
You might want to hold off on the lift for now. Don't get me wrong, ADF is great and the tires are great but together they might not work. I just had mine installed and with those tires it's rubbing too much to drive. I'm up in the air (literally) about it right now trying to find a solution. Hopefully I can get a spacer from ADF or I might need to downsize the tires. :crying:

I just posted this thread here if anyone has any ideas: https://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f70/1-adf-lift-235-65-17-rubbing-796503/#post7513277

·
Registered
121 Posts
Alright, quick update. After shuffling through the options I ended up deciding to change out the tires. I found a local shop (Mock Tire) that had the Yoko Geolandar 225 65 17 in stock (for a very good price too) and just dropped them off at the Subaru service center so they'll complete the transformation tomorrow. Now I'll be selling my Hankook Dynapro 235 65 17's later this week - any semi-local NC folks interested in them feel free to holler. I'll be listing them soon.
Thanks for everyone's input - I'm relieved to see the light.

·
Registered
121 Posts
One more follow up here... I picked up my Forester yesterday and I'm very pleased. The engine runs perfectly and the tires roll very well too. The lift is perfect. I drove it up to Virginia for some fishing immediately and tested it out on 60 miles of road each way then some stream crossings and fire roads. Very happy with the outcome.
It is interesting to note the highway feel of the Geolandar's vs the Dynapro though. The Dynapros are smoother on the bumps along the highway. With the Geolandar's you feel everything and is a little choppy.
I don't mind it, just feels more like a truck. I'll drive around more and see what pressures work best (I think the shop put 36 in all around).

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.0i CVT
4 Posts
Sorry to dig out this relatively old thread, but... I think I'm missing something, @Barclay seemed to be happy with the tires, why did you change them?

I'm thinking of getting this for my 17' 2.0 non-turbo Forester... the factory OEM Geolandars seem to be at about 40% life left, after only 25.000 Km's (About 15.500 miles).

So I'm looking at different options and I feel that the Foz 225/60R17 look just a tad too small... I'd like something "off-roadier" / more agressive....

So far I've found the DynaPro's and the Bridgestone A/T Revo2 on 235/65R17.... would love to get some BFG KO2's but I don't think they come in a size that will fit a stock forester.

Cheers...

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Premium 6MT
20 Posts
Anyone w a stock SJ try this with the new Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S in 235/65R17? Would like to get a sense of that specific tire model rubbing on a stock SJ. Thanks.

·
Registered
2018 Touring CVT
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Sorry to dig out this relatively old thread, but... I think I'm missing something, @Barclay seemed to be happy with the tires, why did you change them?

I'm thinking of getting this for my 17' 2.0 non-turbo Forester... the factory OEM Geolandars seem to be at about 40% life left, after only 25.000 Km's (About 15.500 miles).

So I'm looking at different options and I feel that the Foz 225/60R17 look just a tad too small... I'd like something "off-roadier" / more agressive....

So far I've found the DynaPro's and the Bridgestone A/T Revo2 on 235/65R17.... would love to get some BFG KO2's but I don't think they come in a size that will fit a stock forester.

Cheers...
Barclay put a lift on his and that caused rubbing due to the Diameter of the tire. That being said, BFG KO2 225/65r17 will fit no issues but are almost 10 pounds heavier per tire so you will loose mpg if you care about that. I went with Cooper AT3 4s in 235/60r17 and I am happy with them, lost minimal mpg put the white letters out , I think they look good.

·
Registered
2018 Touring CVT
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Anyone w a stock SJ try this with the new Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S in 235/65R17? Would like to get a sense of that specific tire model rubbing on a stock SJ. Thanks.
235/60r17 works perfect, no rubbing and is just slightly taller than stock.

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.0i CVT
4 Posts
Good to know!... I'll post some pics after I pull the trigger on the Hankooks RF10's... They'll set me back about $120 each after taxes and all... might be a little more since I'll go ahead and change out the valves and maybe get an alignment.

I've been looking everywhere for the BFG's (I just love the way they look) but I've been unable to find them here in Panamá... Back when I was in college I used to have a Daihatsu Terios with those tires on LT215/75R15... good times.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Yup, exactly what @Canada2018 said.
There was absolutely nothing wrong with the Hankook’s or the size. They were great until I put the lift on it. I needed the lift and not the tire so they had to go. I’m very happy(er) with my current Yokohama’s and 1” lift. Less road noise, better mpg, better height and clearance (still hit my head on the back door though, need to figure out how to make that swing higher - anyone done that?), on road performance is better and off road performance is the same. Couldn’t be happier.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok that makes sense... I am not planning on doing much offroad at all and would like to keep the stock rims. Just having a hard time deciding what tire size to look at. I'd like to get a set of Hankook Dyapros but not sure 235/65r17 will fit also not sure about the performance and mpg hit that would be taken going up to a 29 inch tire. The 225/65r17 (28.5) or even the 235/60r17 (28.1) would probably be more realistic..... being that stock is around 27.6.....

41 - 51 of 51 Posts