Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

WiFi, Hotspot, tethering - best affordable options?

('19+) 
9K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  Subrosa46 
#1 ·
Researching what are the best affordable options for activating the vehicle`s hotpot? Is there an affordable unlimlted plan or am I on drugs? Tethering to a phone and data plan overages traps I would like to avoid.

#4 ·
If you subscribe to one or more services from Comcast, you can get cell phone service through them. They actually use the Verizon network as a reseller. My wife and I switched to Comcast cellular last fall and out total net cellular service bill dropped nearly 50%! My wife travels a LOT for her job and uses a lot of data for WAYS and other online service. Her plan has unlimited data and it works great as a hotspot. We have only had our Forester a few weeks and have only used Pandora and WAYS a few times but it works fine. I don’t think we need or want to activate another service plan to use the Forester hotspot. I have issues with Comcast like everyone else but the Cellular service is excellent and affordable. I mention all of this just to provide another possible alternative for you.

To be clear, although the above ay sound like a commercial, I have absolutely no connection to or affiliation with Comcast in ANY way whatsoever beyond being a satisfied customer as I state above.

#5 ·
I have the unlimited plan in my Ascent. Costs me $20 a month. All depends on what "affordable" means to you, I guess. I love the convenience of having a fast, reliable connection on the go. The wife enjoys it too, as she can use our WiFi only iPad on long trips.

#7 ·
@sneefy Is that US only thing? I don't think we have that in Canada.
It's not entirely clear. It's through AT&T, and if you check the terms on the AT&T connected car page it states "US Only" for the Unlimited plan.

Later in the same terms, it says "Wi-Fi hotspot functionality not available outside of U.S. & Canada. Service in Canada depends upon availability of unaffiliated carrier coverage.".

https://www.att.com/plans/connected-car/subaru.html#legal

#11 ·
data plan

I have recently replaced the satNav system in my S3 forester xt premium with an android 8.0 head unit off ebay. At first I had 2 sim only plans one for the phone and one for the head unit but I have recently changed to have 1 larger sim only plan for the phone and use connecting of the BT to my phone from the car to activate the hotspot on the phone and the car then uses this for internet. I am paying $25 per month for 14GB of data but I am in Aus where we get screwed for everything so you will probably be able to get a better deal.

my 2c worth.

#12 ·
I bought a dedicated hotspot from T-Mobile, and an out going version at that, 5 years ago. I have used it in vacation rentals and on the road in the US, in Canada, and, if I remember correctly, I have used it in Europe too. On my T-mobile account it has it own phone number. Plug it with its own charger, USB cable, or internal battery and you are good to go as long as you have power.

#13 ·
I went with the AT&T. Don't recall prices at this point. I think I went for one of the extended periods? I don't recall if unlimited but was well less than upping the data on my Verizon plan for the phone comparably. Kind of odd that one uses the hot spot to feed the phone which runs the Android and Starlink to the car which carries the hotspot. OTOH, expecting or hoping the car would have a built in phone/pc it might be hard to stay up to date/compatible. It's erratic now and then with the phoe linked by usb, bluetooth and/or wireless.

#15 ·
T Mobile has one that you hook into the port in your car. It all works through an app on your phone. They just charge you for an extra line on it. I'm on a Veteran plan, so mine I'm sure is a lot cheaper (I pay 15 a month for unlimited extra lines with unlimited data). Has its own number and coverage and streaming is pretty good. (the free Nexflix on there is also an added bonus).

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.