Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester Prem. 5 spd
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just wondering why Subaru did not opt to put on a folding mirror for the Outback, or Legacy? In big cities cars (mostly trucks and taxi's) take out mirrors & in the brush I can imagine the errant thick branch taking out a mirror too?

Cost cutting measure?

CapeAnn

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,063 Posts
They did that another time too but I forget when. One reason is it cuts down on wind noise. It seems the split is a good source of turbulence and sound. Personally I'd rather deal with the noise myself and have the folding mirrors.

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts
Just wondering why Subaru did not opt to put on a folding mirror for the Outback, or Legacy? In big cities cars (mostly trucks and taxi's) take out mirrors & in the brush I can imagine the errant thick branch taking out a mirror too?

Cost cutting measure?

CapeAnn
You don't need to worry about such trivial matters:icon_razz: you've got a Forester:banana:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You don't need to worry about such trivial matters:icon_razz: you've got a Forester:banana:

LOL!!! :woohoo: Yes. Dem' worries is for the 'lesser' Suburu products!!!

·
Registered
2001 Forester S, auto
444 Posts
They say wind noise, but I say shaves a few bucks off the car.

·
Registered
2000 Mazda Protege ES
48 Posts
Cost cutting measure?

CapeAnn
Cost cutting measure. Proof Subi has adopted the 80s/90s GM, and 00s Toyota idea that reducing production cost is the most important thing. More important that quality, durability, long term costs to owners or even lawsuits as long as those costs are below the extra profits.

Typical when the accountants get to overrule the engineers and product designers. Look what that did to GM and look what it is currently doing to Toyota.

Another example, almost of their entire line up had side mirror turn indicator lights and after the recent redesigns none do. I know 98.5% of consumers would not choose a car based on those, but I see them as a sign of greater underlying problems and short comings.

·
Registered
2001 Forester S, auto
444 Posts
Cost cutting measure. Proof Subi has adopted the 80s/90s GM, and 00s Toyota idea that reducing production cost is the most important thing. More important that quality, durability, long term costs to owners or even lawsuits as long as those costs are below the extra profits.

Typical when the accountants get to overrule the engineers and product designers. Look what that did to GM and look what it is currently doing to Toyota.

Another example, almost of their entire line up had side mirror turn indicator lights and after the recent redesigns none do. I know 98.5% of consumers would not choose a car based on those, but I see them as a sign of greater underlying problems and short comings.
Orrrrrrrr they saved a few bucks in trivial things like mirrors with turn signal indicators to make up for it with other things elsewhere. Everyone thought it was neato that the Outback 3.6R was a few thousand dollars cheaper than the old Outback 3.0R, but nobody ever questioned how they did that...

...nor do people point out that the Forester has a starting MSRP, with standard AWD, lower than the starting MSRP of a 2WD Honda CR-V. Instead of saying "oh cool, you get AWD and the same safety features as the higher line Foresters", they whine about steel wheels and lack of roof rails.

Etc etc etc

·
Registered
2010 Forester
173 Posts
I have a 2010 2.5X Limited and the mirrors do fold, but only manually. Although page 3-35 in the manual talks about a switch for power folding mirrors. I assume it's an option (or standard) outside the states. The title of the section is "Power folding mirror switch (if equipped)".

·
Registered
1999 Forester
40 Posts
Technically older Legacies and Outbacks' had folding mirrors (early to mid 90's). Just the newer that have had fixed.

I actually am thinking about changing the mirrors on my forester, thought of getting rid of the folding feature but I'm certain that would be a headache and a half.

·
Premium Member
2015 XC diesel CVT
4,053 Posts
Euro Legacy has power fold mirrors, with fitted indicators.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Euro Legacy has power fold mirrors, with fitted indicators.
I just did a Google search and see that the Legacy line in the Netherlands includes a wagon version and mirrors that fold with indicators!!!

It also looks very Euro cool. What gives with the better styling in the EU?
:icon_confused:

Additionally, the wife and I chose the Forester because the mirrors fold in. The Volkswagen (even with fold in mirrors) had them blasted off by a taxi cab when it was parked in New York City. :chair: The Outback was a strong second runner-up to the Forester.

CapeAnn

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts
I think what you'll see is when it's time for a refresh, you see some of the options that are on some foreign markets make it over here. For example when the Forester finally got the signals in the mirrors here in North America, they had already had them elsewhere.

The lack of a Legacy wagon here puzzles me, I definately regognize more of the previous generation Legacy wagon's on the road than the four-door.

As far as the Outback when it's time for a refresh here we might see the signals in the mirrors again and the lower profile roof racks that are also on some of the other market cars. Looks new to the average joe.

·
Registered
09 Forester XT
52 Posts
Orrrrrrrr they saved a few bucks in trivial things like mirrors with turn signal indicators to make up for it with other things elsewhere. Everyone thought it was neato that the Outback 3.6R was a few thousand dollars cheaper than the old Outback 3.0R, but nobody ever questioned how they did that...

...nor do people point out that the Forester has a starting MSRP, with standard AWD, lower than the starting MSRP of a 2WD Honda CR-V. Instead of saying "oh cool, you get AWD and the same safety features as the higher line Foresters", they whine about steel wheels and lack of roof rails.

Etc etc etc
Jared_N I recognize that being a auto sales consultant isn't easy work and I appreciate your dedication to Subaru. If Subaru cut the cost of folding mirrors, roof rails etc., and that is the statement your sticking by, than you and Subaru become like the other guys. He said she said :crazy:

You can't show ads of an Outback treading water or going through a car wash full of mud when it is EXPECTED and sometimes required the mirrors fold-in before going through!

Subaru's claim to fame is their technology of AWD which is superior to any others on the market (though Audi is getting closer) that should not be even in the equation of cost cutting measures. That is what makes a Subaru a Subaru.

Subaru needs to SWEAT the details such has folding mirrors, quality interiors, hands free communication accessories, etc.. We all know the technology under the skin is why we love the Subie's but maybe as we age, it is nice to sit in a seat that cushes your tush!

Let's hope the shares owned by Toyota in Fuji Heavy are NOT influencing engineers at Subaru.

·
Registered
1985 GL SE Wagon 4WD
141 Posts
Technically older Legacies and Outbacks' had folding mirrors (early to mid 90's). Just the newer that have had fixed.

I actually am thinking about changing the mirrors on my forester, thought of getting rid of the folding feature but I'm certain that would be a headache and a half.
hey my Suby GL wagon (MY 1985) has folding mirrors too :banana:. so i guess its money saving then :shake:

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,510 Posts
'lesser' Suburu products!!!
*dons flamesuit*

:lol: Funny thing is, for the most part, the Fozz is the lesser product (or it's marketed that way, anyway). Not disrespecting it, I have both ( :Banane08: ) but I will say that if you ride for three hours in the Outback, and ride for three hours in a Forester, you'll want the Outback. Especially on the highway. Sound deadening is an wonderful thing. Also, wait till you get in a hailstorm. Ours have sat in one side by side, the Forester has dents all over it, while the Outback does not. Bizarre... thinner sheet metal? It's interesting how Subaru markets and equips the cars differently, though the owners tend to be similar for the most part. I love our Fozzy dearly, but sometimes I wonder why they cheaped on things like that. Same goes for the lack of folding mirrors on the new Outback (in the US anyway... just shows that we never get the good stuff).

They say wind noise, but I say shaves a few bucks off the car.
Yeah, I'd say both. However, the non USDM markets get them, so I'd say that maybe they think we wouldn't be willing to pay the extra $$ for them? :confused:

They did that another time too but I forget when. One reason is it cuts down on wind noise. It seems the split is a good source of turbulence and sound. Personally I'd rather deal with the noise myself and have the folding mirrors.
I have the same folding mirrors on my '00 BH and my '05 SG (SG's are just painted charcoal). I'm pretty sure your '03 (?) BH had the same mirrors as well. Ever notice how the BH doesn't have that nasty turbulence coming from the mirror, even though they're the same design? Methinks it has something to do with the airflow between it and the A pillar. Hrmmmm....

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Touring
42 Posts
Could be for shipping

I actually asked Subaru this question in the 90's re the 1996 Outback, which had no folding mirrors, versus earlier Subaru models that did. At the time, they said it was a Japan thing, in that more cars could fit in cargo shipping containers if the mirrors folded, and that this did not matter for cars built in Indiana. The Forester is still built in Japan (and has folding mirrors), and the Outback in the U.S. but it could be B.S. as well (and doesn't account for later Outbacks with folding mirrors).

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,063 Posts
Our Tribeca was built in Indiana AFAIK and it has folding mirrors.

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
It's all about how much to cut to hit a certain profit margin. They could certainly afford to bring it here, but at what % of the total profits?

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Limited 5 Speed Manual
524 Posts
Jared_N I recognize that being a auto sales consultant isn't easy work and I appreciate your dedication to Subaru. If Subaru cut the cost of folding mirrors, roof rails etc., and that is the statement your sticking by, than you and Subaru become like the other guys. He said she said :crazy:

You can't show ads of an Outback treading water or going through a car wash full of mud when it is EXPECTED and sometimes required the mirrors fold-in before going through!

Subaru's claim to fame is their technology of AWD which is superior to any others on the market (though Audi is getting closer) that should not be even in the equation of cost cutting measures. That is what makes a Subaru a Subaru.

Subaru needs to SWEAT the details such has folding mirrors, quality interiors, hands free communication accessories, etc.. We all know the technology under the skin is why we love the Subie's but maybe as we age, it is nice to sit in a seat that cushes your tush!

Let's hope the shares owned by Toyota in Fuji Heavy are NOT influencing engineers at Subaru.
I agree! I tried to talk my sister-in-law's sister into getting a Subaru as her next car. She looked at the Impreza (she was looking for something small) and didn't like it because it didn't come with Bluetooth and the interior door panels were all plastic.

Instead, she got a Honda Fit. :icon_rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts