Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
282 Posts
Hello, please tell me why the Subaru stopped putting turbines on the Subaru Forester, stopped installing mechanics? it's terrible, now you can’t get the emotions of driving a Subaru CVT terrible gearbox. It is unfortunate that the Subaru is losing its element and road qualities. my favourite manual transmission.
It's simple - market.

There are dozens of threads on this throughout the site - or just hundreds of comments.

But it all comes down to the all-mighty dollar (or yen or mark or buck or pound).

The XT Forester (last to have a turbo) was a low-volume model. It was marketed as a different "special" model. As such, it had limited sales... Same can be said of the manual transmission models. As the Gen Z'ers and millennials go away from driving - AND - don't know how to drive a manual transmission, there are less and less sales. As the Baby Boomers and Gen X folks age and don't want the "hassle" of driving a manual (due to health issues, commutes, whatever) the market place for manual transmissions has dwindled.

Another aspect is technology. A manual transmission is not controlled by the engine control module and other systems that control so many aspects of our vehicles... A manual transmission can not be controlled by the computers that may use them for vehicle stability control and other safety features that need to be able to drop engine output to better provide control of a vehicle.

The MPG requirements and claims are also important. Again, with the controlling of the engines and transmissions by the ECM and other systems can help boost the MPG the cars get.

The CVT is not a "terrible gearbox"... The Subaru CVT is far superior to pretty much any other CVT on the market and even a few "regular" automatic transmissions. And - to be technical - it's not a gearbox as there are no gears.

Finally - the real reason for the demise of the turbo and the manual transmission? Probably the dealers and sales guys on the floor. If the sales guys push the higher trim levels (Limited, Touring) and not the lower models (base and Premium), there is less sales volume in the manual transmissions as they're not available in those trim levels. Mostly because the majority of shoppers going for luxury models (that the Limited and Touring qualify as) don't wan't to shift for themselves.

So if sales guys (and gals) are pushing higher $$ vehicles, the dealer management will order more of those higher $$ vehicles - meaning less manual transmissions on the lot to sell. Meaning even less of a reason for Subaru to offer this "option". It's all about sales. There are very few ACTUAL BUYERS (not just those of us on this site) that buy the manual transmission models - probably less than 10%

Same can be said of the XT model and the turbo. The way the XT was marketed (here in the US) was with a dark charcoal (aka black) interior. I live in the deserts in Southern California and a dark interior is a near death sentence in the summer months. Others may just not want a dark interior because it can seem cave-like.

It also becomes a discussion about making manufacturing easier. If there is only 1 transmission available, then that cuts costs by NOT having to have a 2nd transmission available. It makes production easier and cheaper. As more and more models and systems are combined so that you have fewer and fewer chances for putting the wrong parts in the wrong cars. Think about wiring harnesses - nearly all manufacturers have a single wiring harness for a model that has the wiring and connections for all options, even if the actual item(s) may not be on your particular vehicle.

Also, there is the newer Ascent with the NEW 2.4 turbo motor. So why offer two different turbo engines across the line up. Mind you - the WRX uses a different turbo motor but is not in the same type of marketplace as a Forester or an Ascent or even the Outback.

Finally - part 2 - now with the 2020 Outback XT with the 2.4 Turbo from the Ascent, it makes some sense that MAYBE for the mid-cycle (2021) Foz, the 2.4 turbo could make an entry. But don't expect it to have a manual transmissions. Manual transmissions are probably going to become even more scarce across all makes and models in the years to come.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
282 Posts
it turns out that on the CVT now extreme driving does not work out at all.
uh ... no. Sorry. You're very mistaken. I know many folks that drive their CVT equipped Foresters in the snow, in the sand, on the trails, over rocks, across stream beds and more. The CVT does quite well - especially when paired with the "X-Drive" system

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,163 Posts
@yegorbr - They didn't lose their way, they just changed directions, and not just in the Forester.
Look at Subaru's advertising...
Remember the "driver dashing through the snow" commercials.

Now it's a car typically depicted as being driven by Golden Retrievers, kids who need a plethora of safety devices because they can't exist unless constantly texting, or the other notable examples of the family guy, too busy adoring his kids in the backseat to notice traffic stopping in front of him.

The message here is it's all about safety, and drivers who can't exist on the road without the safety features provided. A turbo does not fit into the "safety image".
By eliminating any choice of opt-out with features like eyesight, they don't lose their more expensive sales to their own base models without that equipment.
It is all about the market, and the bottom line.

They don't need your business, and they don't care what you like as they can make more money selling their cars to the larger soccer mom / people mover market.
They will lose some sales, but overall they sell more cars, so to them it makes sense. It's just business. They don't care, they don't have to.

Like you, it saddens me that after owning six Subarus, my next car won't be a Subaru, because there is no longer a choice.
What once was marketed as an affordable car ("inexpensive, and built to stay that way") has become a rather expensive less sporty vehicle that cannot be had without a load of glitchy features that I don't want or need.

Perhaps a viable option is to buy and completely rebuild an earlier version, and you could likely end up with a "new" car at a considerable savings.
It's about the only way you will get the car you want that is a Subaru.

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i MT
235 Posts
What once was marketed as an affordable car ("inexpensive, and built to stay that way") .... boy, does that quote bring back memories.

·
Registered
246 Posts
@yegorbr - They didn't lose their way, they just changed directions, and not just in the Forester.
Look at Subaru's advertising...
Remember the "driver dashing through the snow" commercials.

Now it's a car typically depicted as being driven by Golden Retrievers, kids who need a plethora of safety devices because they can't exist unless constantly texting, or the other notable examples of the family guy, too busy adoring his kids in the backseat to notice traffic stopping in front of him.

The message here is it's all about safety, and drivers who can't exist on the road without the safety features provided. A turbo does not fit into the "safety image".
By eliminating any choice of opt-out with features like eyesight, they don't lose their more expensive sales to their own base models without that equipment.
It is all about the market, and the bottom line.

They don't need your business, and they don't care what you like as they can make more money selling their cars to the larger soccer mom / people mover market.
They will lose some sales, but overall they sell more cars, so to them it makes sense. It's just business. They don't care, they don't have to.

Like you, it saddens me that after owning six Subarus, my next car won't be a Subaru, because there is no longer a choice.
What once was marketed as an affordable car ("inexpensive, and built to stay that way") has become a rather expensive less sporty vehicle that cannot be had without a load of glitchy features that I don't want or need.

Perhaps a viable option is to buy and completely rebuild an earlier version, and you could likely end up with a "new" car at a considerable savings.
It's about the only way you will get the car you want that is a Subaru.
I'd love to hear what you next one will be. Compared to everything else out there, Subaru's are still great values and you don't have to buy a touring model.

·
Registered
ordering today
3 Posts
it’s bad for me, I like the mechanical gearbox so that when you change gears you feel the car, on the automatic transmission or CVT you don’t feel the car.
I’ve found that the manual shift option (“paddle shifters”) give a reasonable feel of the car. I don’t actually use them often, but have found them great to have for steep hills and tricky dirt roads. Not the same as a full clutched manual transmission for sure, but it’s still better than the old automatic D-1-2 options. I was disappointed to not have manual available when I bought my 2019, although I wasn’t clear how variable cruise control could work with a manual, and I wanted the variable cruise, so I wasn’t as disappointed as I might have been.

·
Premium Member
2008 2008 2.5i-2018 XT
13,249 Posts
It's very disappointing that Subaru eliminated the XT option on the Subaru, especially since you can get Ascents & Outbacks with turbos now. Every review that I've read about the new Forester chides Subaru for dumping the XT. Part of the reason that XTs were only 5% of the mix was that you had to buy an upper trim level to get one. Our 2015 is a Touring, but not everyone wants all of the bells & whistles, get a clue, Subaru!
My 18 XT9 IS a premium. 28k $$

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Forester
1 Posts
When I bought my '15, I specifically searched dealerships for a manual... they looked at me like I was crazy for wanting one. This is my first Subie (coming from an older Rav4) and I really love driving it so this saddens me to hear it could be my last manual car ever...

41 - 49 of 49 Posts