Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
This is our first Subaru after owning many other vehicles. I don't think Subaru lost it's way at all. They are listening to the data and what sells. And they just added a new customer here! I live in VT with plenty of hills and mountains and have no issues with the power or passing ability of the Forester.

When we test drove before ordering one the first thing we did was hop on the interstate to head up the long Barre-Montpelier hill. I found the Forester accelerated from 50 to 75 very easily while only pressing the accelerator maybe just over half way down. I was pleasantly suprised. Just the other day, 3 of us plus gear, headed up to Bolton ski resort to do some hiking. This is very steep mountain road and I could not believe how easily the Forester made the climb with the engine hardly working at all.

The CVT does a hell of a lot better job keeping the motor in the power band than any auto or standard ever could. It's 182HP folks and can hit 30 plus MPG. I've made passes easily while accelerating to over 100 MPH while fully loaded on a cross country trip. I couldn't ask for anything more. It's a dam family SUV not a sports car and it's selling like mad since Americans no longer buy cars. This thing has more HP and pick-up than my 1971 V8 Camaro and I still remember my 1985 SR5 Toyota PickUp 5 speed with only 110HP. It's miles ahead in everyway to vehicles of the past.

·
Registered
10 Posts
As others have mentioned only 5% of users purchased the turbos and it required premium fuel (vs regular). It cost more to buy a turbo forester. For the mass, the regular engine was just fine for going point a to b, grocery and mall crawlers. With Manual, the majority of drivers are going automatic. There wasn't a demand for manuals.

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
2,044 Posts
For those of you unaware what the Forester once was, before it gained weight and Subaru started chasing American market sales figures.

No EyeSight
No Adaptive Braking
No Traction Control
Lots of fun and excitement

And if hills are more your thing:
I'd like to see an SJ manage that with all those nanny state driver aids

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring CVT
1,410 Posts
I am on my 3rd Subaru, but by far my favorite was my 2005 FXT manual. Arguably, it is was as fun as a Ford RS for daily driving. Have no (zero) interest in the latest Forester. I don't mind the Ascent, but wish I would have been patient for the 2020 Outback XT.

·
Premium Member
2008 2008 2.5i-2018 XT
13,238 Posts
I am on my 3rd Subaru, but by far my favorite was my 2005 FXT manual. Arguably, it is was as fun as a Ford RS for daily driving. Have no (zero) interest in the latest Forester. I don't mind the Ascent, but wish I would have been patient for the 2020 Outback XT.
Maybe you should have bought the'18 forester XT. That's what I did.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
12 Posts
Hello, please tell me why the Subaru stopped putting turbines on the Subaru Forester, stopped installing mechanics? it's terrible, now you can’t get the emotions of driving a Subaru CVT terrible gearbox. It is unfortunate that the Subaru is losing its element and road qualities. my favourite manual transmission.
eyesight is standard feature on all Foresters now, I guess they couldn't do that with a stick? might as well killed it?

·
Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
1,782 Posts
eyesight is standard feature on all Foresters now, I guess they couldn't do that with a stick? might as well killed it?
That is correct. There is no way to have adaptive cruise, which can slow you down to a full stop and then restart you, with a manual transmission. I had basic cruise control on my '09 Forester with a stick and it worked quite well, but when driving in a hilly area, I'd have to turn off the cruise and downshift to 4th gear in some cases.

Likewise, the pre-crash braking system would be awkward at best with a stick, because it would stall the car.

You could probably adopt the lane-keeping system into a stick shift car, but I'm guessing Subaru prefers Eyesight to either be all there or not there at all.

I have not looked at the specs for the BRZ (which has an available stick) or Crosstrek (which had a stick available when I last looked buy may no longer have one) to see if there are any partial Eyesight features available, nor do I know if any other manufacturers make stick shift cars with these driving aids.

I LOVE adaptive cruise and most recently used it this evening.

George

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT Ltd 4 EAT
27 Posts
I purchased a 2007 FXT in 2009 with 20K miles on it. I now have 150K miles. Due to the engine configuration, I have been able to mod the engine very easily to Cobb Stage 3 - Cobb downpipe and remainder is STI exhaust with STI intercooler and STI turbo. With the Cobb OTS tune, I have about 305 hp according to Cobb. I will likely never sell, but will run until the wheels fall off. I cannot see upgrading to a new Forester as the performance would never compare. If a new FXT came out, I might consider, but for now I have STI performance in a Forester package. My suggestion would be to find a good used FXT that still has the top mounted intercooler, do the mods and take good care of it.

·
Registered
2018 FXT-T CVT / 2007 FXT 5MT
1,322 Posts
I have an '18 FXT and an '07 FXT and the newer vehicles just lost their soul.

They tried to make a vehicle that would appeal to the enthusiast at heart with the SJ FXT and without the manual transmission they really lost that spark that they had with the SG. It's still a fun vehicle and probably one of the better if not the best performance oriented small SUVs out there (or was)...but it's felt like a steady decline since they removed the manual.

I've never once driven by another Subaru owner in my '18 and gotten and acknowledgement. In my stock '07 FXT Sports I lost count how many waves and nods I got just on my drive home with it. The STI/WRX folk consider it part of the enthusiasts community when the SJ isn't.

Losing the XT altogether was the final nail on the coffin and it's fairly clear they just aren't interested in appealing to that relatively rare segment of enthusiasts with families where the SUV is king.

I've tried to find that any new vehicles where you can still get a manual in any SUV with anything other than a base engine with sub 200 hp and there's nothing. Not a single option out there. Subaru used to seemingly care more about filling those gaps than going along with the masses and when they ceased to care about making a vehicle for those folks wanting to fill the gap, they lost their soul.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought my 2015 MT Forester mainly because I wanted to tow it behind my motorhome. Love it. Does everything I have asked of it and more. Hope it lasts a long time because it will be very difficult to replace it with another Subaru as they seem to be getting rid of all the manual transmissions and none of the CVT's are towable.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello, please tell me why the Subaru stopped putting turbines on the Subaru Forester, stopped installing mechanics? it's terrible, now you can’t get the emotions of driving a Subaru CVT terrible gearbox. It is unfortunate that the Subaru is losing its element and road qualities. my favourite manual transmission.

·
Registered
4 Posts
In addition to other reasons, both options reduce gas mileage. Previous 2.0 xt models were rated 25 mpg vs. 29 for 2019-20 models. And nobody can get better gas mileage from a manual.

·
Registered
1 Posts
thanks, but I don’t perceive anything except the manual gearbox, and I don’t perceive anything at all, and therefore I’m a little sad that Subaru removed the manual gearbox on the Forester, now the forester on the variator is no different from the honda cr-v toyota rav-4 mazda cx- 5
you can’t ride on it off-road, and now it’s not possible to drive on it since it is a CVT gearbox.
I’ve had zero issues driving my ‘19 touring off road in California, be it the Mojave, Bug Bear or Sequoia NF. Besides, more annoying than no turbo or manual? No mechanical e-brake.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited CVT
90 Posts
Nobody buys manual transmissions anymore, with some rare exceptions (WRX, BRZ).
If you want a turbo, check out the Mazda CX5.

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.5X Manual
18 Posts
While it does make me sad to see the manual option go, I long ago consigned myself to the fact that in North America they just aren't being sold. I get that you don't get better gas mileage anymore and that is an important issue, but it doesn't mean I have to like it. I was just watching some older ads and videos for Subaru and the fact that the Rav 4 had a CVT and the Forrester didn't (this was an '06) was a selling point. They showed how on a simulated icy hill the Forester was far and away better. Same thing with a hill climb. Subaru's old slogan was "inexpensive, and built to stay that way", they made cheaper, tougher cars. Once upon a time I think a Forester was a car that could do everything. Not as well as certain cars could do certain things. But it did everything, on and off road. Now it's a toy laden soccer mom's SUV to compete with all the other soccer mom SUVs. Nevermind what made it better in the past. Because your average consumer wants gizmos, toys, and not to think about the car itself. And that's why we can't have "nice"things like turbo or manuals.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Forester Sport - Ice Silver Metallic, Option pkg 24.
172 Posts
Subaru didn't lose their way... they are trying to keep up with their competitors and also meet the EPA requirements on fuel economy which lately seems to have been eased up a bit by the current administrator. Subaru is looking for efficiency, safety, and to make as much money as possible. The manual transmission doesn't fit in there...

·
Registered
2015 XT Touring CVT
47 Posts
It's very disappointing that Subaru eliminated the XT option on the Subaru, especially since you can get Ascents & Outbacks with turbos now. Every review that I've read about the new Forester chides Subaru for dumping the XT. Part of the reason that XTs were only 5% of the mix was that you had to buy an upper trim level to get one. Our 2015 is a Touring, but not everyone wants all of the bells & whistles, get a clue, Subaru!

·
Registered
2018 FXT-T CVT / 2007 FXT 5MT
1,322 Posts
IMO Subaru has failed to consider the not insignificant number of us that were WRX/STI owners in our youths 15 years ago. We've since moved on from being able to make a WRX/STI work for our families but would WELCOME a Turbo manual small SUV. I went so far as to travel over 1k miles and drive one home after watching for years for the right used one.

I know I'm not alone.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts