Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, please tell me why the Subaru stopped putting turbines on the Subaru Forester, stopped installing mechanics? it's terrible, now you can’t get the emotions of driving a Subaru CVT terrible gearbox. It is unfortunate that the Subaru is losing its element and road qualities. my favourite manual transmission.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The foresters sell well without them and are more catered to a different audience than those that prefer more performance oriented vehicles. The justification for the cost to satisfy a niche market probably wasn't there.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
They are selling their vehicles to the mass-market, and certifying vehicles that sell in single-digit percentages makes no sense. I drove my '09 Foz 130k miles with a stick and loved it dearly, but it was hardly a "sporty" drive....more agricultural compared to my "toy" '91 BMW. Our '17 Forester (my wife's car) gets much better mileage and performance with a CVT than my '09 did with a stick.

If you want a turbo in a compact SUV, you do have other choices. If you want a stick, I think you're completely out of luck. If you want a new mid-engine CORVETTE with a stick, you're out of luck.

George

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello, please tell me why the Subaru stopped putting turbines on the Subaru Forester, stopped installing mechanics? it's terrible, now you can’t get the emotions of driving a Subaru CVT terrible gearbox. It is unfortunate that the Subaru is losing its element and road qualities. my favourite transmission manual , my favourite manual transmission.
They are selling their vehicles to the mass-market, and certifying vehicles that sell in single-digit percentages makes no sense. I drove my '09 Foz 130k miles with a stick and loved it dearly, but it was hardly a "sporty" drive....more agricultural compared to my "toy" '91 BMW. Our '17 Forester (my wife's car) gets much better mileage and performance with a CVT than my '09 did with a stick.

If you want a turbo in a compact SUV, you do have other choices. If you want a stick, I think you're completely out of luck. If you want a new mid-engine CORVETTE with a stick, you're out of luck.

George
thanks, but I don’t perceive anything except the manual gearbox, and I don’t perceive anything at all, and therefore I’m a little sad that Subaru removed the manual gearbox on the Forester, now the forester on the variator is no different from the honda cr-v toyota rav-4 mazda cx- 5
you can’t ride on it off-road, and now it’s not possible to drive on it since it is a CVT gearbox.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks, but I don’t perceive anything except the manual gearbox, and I don’t perceive anything at all, and therefore I’m a little sad that Subaru removed the manual gearbox on the Forester, now the forester on the variator is no different from the honda cr-v toyota rav-4 mazda cx- 5
you can’t ride on it off-road, and now it’s not possible to drive on it since it is a CVT gearbox.
it turns out that on the CVT now extreme driving does not work out at all.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One by one the pedals are disappearing. Some cars don't even have a brake pedal anymore.
it’s bad for me, I like the mechanical gearbox so that when you change gears you feel the car, on the automatic transmission or CVT you don’t feel the car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No, otherwise we would not be where we are at today with this topic.
XT sales accounted for about 3-5%. That was basically how Subaru saw it; Supply & Demand.
maybe because Toyota spoiled the quality of the Subaru?

·
Registered
398 Posts
I'm willing to bet that they will put a turbo back in the Forester in the next model year or so. I doubt we will ever see another manual transmission in the Forester, at least in the USA. Same for Crosstrek, Legacy, Ascent, or Outback. Maybe the Impreza. Or maybe only in the Impreza WRX/STI. It's a simple fact very few USA drivers want a manual. There just aren't that many driving enthusiasts out there and with today's CVT and other automatic transmissions, a manual doesn't even get you better gas mileage anymore, which used to be a selling point.

·
Premium Member
13,149 Posts
Subaru is not for you yegorbr
And as far as not fun. I know you have never driven an XT CVT. And you have to remember Forester is a grocery getter that can pick up and deliver groceries anywhere. You are on the wrong forum sport.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
From an enthusiast perspective, Subaru is clearly becoming dated...and not just the forester.

We will see if they care moving forward.

Their advertising is also becoming pretty annoying...for me anyways.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Subaru lost their way a long time back - Do they even compete in any motorsport events anymore?

The Forester became an SUV to compete with the CRV, Rav 4 and whatever the Koreans call theirs these days for sales. Sadly the days of turbos, manual transmissions and the letters STI meaning anything beyond some stickers and different seats for the Forester are long gone. North America is one of Subaru's biggest markets and so to make money, they aimed their vehicles at those markets - Makes sense by the accountants as they're simply fulfilling simple supply and demand but the cries of engineers can be heard from Mount Fuji

It is no longer the Crossover, sharing platform and parts with the Impreza it once was. The newer Foresters don't seem as mod-able for the owner either - As an example Good luck fitting an STI 6 speed into a vehicle with a CVT or lowering it and throwing in a quick rack.

If you want a fun Forester, Buy an SF or SG turbo and look after it very well - They could become a classic one day - Or wait until 25 years is up and buy a Forester STI from Japan.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
In 2008 when I bought my first Forester (an '09 model with a stick), Subaru's total annual sales in the US were 187,000 vehicles. In 2018, Subaru sold 680,000...just think about that. (As a comparo, Mazda went from 263k to 300k in that same period.) I don't think any other brand that existed in 2008 has had such a large percentage increase in sales.

This does not feel to me that Subaru has "lost their way" but I do understand that they are disappointing a small percentage of their enthusiast buyers. I am sad to see manual transmissions go away, so I am in no way trying to be smug about this. I have owned many enthusiast cars in my 49+ years of driving; virtually all of them were sticks, and I have put in over half a million miles driving manual transmissions including drag racing and autocrossing.

One point that has not been mentioned is that Eyesight features like adaptive cruise control and pre-emptive braking do not work with a stick, and I LOVE adaptive cruise.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts