Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,014 Posts
The H6 requires some reinforcing to run boost properly... which is most of the reason why the Perrin H6-Turbo STi never really went that far. They blew it up 3 times, even after going with completely forged internals... and made a max of about 450whp at double the cost of a 450whp STi H4.

Not that it can't be done, but it wouldn't have much more power than a stock STi. Any more than that and it's likely they'd never let it out of the factory since it wouldn't be super reliable at making that power. They'd be better off putting the STi-tuned engine into the other cars instead.
Personally, I'd take a basic H6 Forester... I wouldn't want the turbo.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,241 Posts
I think a NA H6 in a Forester would be a sweet combination.
I've said that for years.

Subaru could, in all perfect reality, build a twin-turbo 3.6L and toss it in a Legacy to compete with the big dog sport sedans.

Perrin's H6 failed because the motor was never built RIGHT. Not an inherent flaw of the motor, simply a builder who didn't know his ding-dong from a connecting rod.

I imagine, with Toyota on board, they could build a dual-clutch'd Legacy variant with a TT-3.6R and go glove-to-glove with the GTR.

Now THAT would be something. "Oh, THAT's why I ran a 7:39 in Germany. I forgot to take my kids' car seats out of the back! Maybe next time Nissan!"

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,241 Posts
How much reinforcement do you really think it needs? It's already got forged rods and hypereutectic pistons, from what I recall of the marketing propaganda when the 3.6 first came out.

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,296 Posts
Haha yeah I figured you knew but just wanted to throw a quick figure. Man near 380hp would be awesome!

Hmm I can't remember what Perrin did exactly, but there were new rods, sleeves, valve springs, head studs.. some other stuff I can't remember.. some fuel mods (like new rails and injectors), etc. I guess this is expected when they wanted to push it to 800hp though. But they could only squeeze out 600hp? Still pretty good but that's where Dude was talking about a 4 cylinder would do the same power for probably a lot less and maybe more reliable too (I think Perrin had bearing issues again?).

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,241 Posts
Haha yeah I figured you knew but just wanted to throw a quick figure. Man near 380hp would be awesome!

Hmm I can't remember what Perrin did exactly, but there were new rods, sleeves, valve springs, head studs.. some other stuff I can't remember.. some fuel mods (like new rails and injectors), etc. I guess this is expected when they wanted to push it to 800hp though. But they could only squeeze out 600hp? Still pretty good but that's where Dude was talking about a 4 cylinder would do the same power for probably a lot less and maybe more reliable too (I think Perrin had bearing issues again?).
They were having machine shop issues. Not Perrin's fault, just a string of bad luck.

There are PLENTY of 4cyl guys doing 600whp+

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.