Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,039 Posts
Sorry but do not know why. It is a good question.

Imagine the look on teh faces of the BMW, Audi and Benz owners when they were just blown off the road by a Subie.

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
Probably because it would get 14mpg and need to belong in a $40,000+ sports sedan.

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,015 Posts
The H6 requires some reinforcing to run boost properly... which is most of the reason why the Perrin H6-Turbo STi never really went that far. They blew it up 3 times, even after going with completely forged internals... and made a max of about 450whp at double the cost of a 450whp STi H4.

Not that it can't be done, but it wouldn't have much more power than a stock STi. Any more than that and it's likely they'd never let it out of the factory since it wouldn't be super reliable at making that power. They'd be better off putting the STi-tuned engine into the other cars instead.
Personally, I'd take a basic H6 Forester... I wouldn't want the turbo.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Was that the new 3.6 H6? It would need to be reinforced with forged internals but i think they had to do that for the STI too. Its not the same as the 2.5 n/a

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,242 Posts
I think a NA H6 in a Forester would be a sweet combination.
I've said that for years.

Subaru could, in all perfect reality, build a twin-turbo 3.6L and toss it in a Legacy to compete with the big dog sport sedans.

Perrin's H6 failed because the motor was never built RIGHT. Not an inherent flaw of the motor, simply a builder who didn't know his ding-dong from a connecting rod.

I imagine, with Toyota on board, they could build a dual-clutch'd Legacy variant with a TT-3.6R and go glove-to-glove with the GTR.

Now THAT would be something. "Oh, THAT's why I ran a 7:39 in Germany. I forgot to take my kids' car seats out of the back! Maybe next time Nissan!"

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If the stock 2.5 is 170hp and the turbo 2.5 has 301hp thats a gain of 131hp.
Take the stock 3.6 256hp add 131 for a quick comparison and you have a 387hp 3.6-T

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
Yeah no adding a turbo doesn't add hp like that hehe

The 3.6 would need a lot of reinforcement = a lot of weight. Front heavy subie would be no fun...

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah no adding a turbo doesn't add hp like that hehe

The 3.6 would need a lot of reinforcement = a lot of weight. Front heavy subie would be no fun...
I know a turbo doesn't work like that it was a quick comparison. with a little tunning i'm sure the under steer wouldn't be that bad

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,242 Posts
How much reinforcement do you really think it needs? It's already got forged rods and hypereutectic pistons, from what I recall of the marketing propaganda when the 3.6 first came out.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
Probably because it would get 14mpg and need to belong in a $40,000+ sports sedan.
+1

It would mess with their CAFE average. Not a good thing at a time when fuel efficiency standards are getting tighter.

·
Registered
8,294 Posts
Haha yeah I figured you knew but just wanted to throw a quick figure. Man near 380hp would be awesome!

Hmm I can't remember what Perrin did exactly, but there were new rods, sleeves, valve springs, head studs.. some other stuff I can't remember.. some fuel mods (like new rails and injectors), etc. I guess this is expected when they wanted to push it to 800hp though. But they could only squeeze out 600hp? Still pretty good but that's where Dude was talking about a 4 cylinder would do the same power for probably a lot less and maybe more reliable too (I think Perrin had bearing issues again?).

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,242 Posts
Haha yeah I figured you knew but just wanted to throw a quick figure. Man near 380hp would be awesome!

Hmm I can't remember what Perrin did exactly, but there were new rods, sleeves, valve springs, head studs.. some other stuff I can't remember.. some fuel mods (like new rails and injectors), etc. I guess this is expected when they wanted to push it to 800hp though. But they could only squeeze out 600hp? Still pretty good but that's where Dude was talking about a 4 cylinder would do the same power for probably a lot less and maybe more reliable too (I think Perrin had bearing issues again?).
They were having machine shop issues. Not Perrin's fault, just a string of bad luck.

There are PLENTY of 4cyl guys doing 600whp+

·
Registered
8,294 Posts
Ahhh ok. Last I heard, they dropped the project though. I guess 4 is the magic number :)

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
As far as i know no one has tried this with the new 3.6. Perrin did with the old 3.0

1 - 20 of 27 Posts