Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5X
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I am venting here. Please be patient.
My wife's '05 pilot airbag light came on, ok no biggie I am thinking, take it to autozone or one of those car places and have them hook it up to their little gizmo, get the code, google it and find a solution.... it was also time for an oil change and tire rotation as well. I was like ok, instedad of spending hours doing this I will just take it down to the local auto service place "wastlerautoservice" and get it all done at once. I told them I have the oil and filter in the car (I use Castrol Syntec 5w20 and PureOne filters)
6 six hours later the car was finally ready. When I got the bill I noticed a $135.00 fee for hooking the car up to their diagnostic machine, internet research and blah, blah, blah to get the code and Honda might actually cover it (42-11 or something, right sensor not detected). They charged me $24.00 for Penzoil10W30 oil and a filter and of course labor. I was like, ummmmm I had my own 5W20 oil and filter, why was there a charge for this? Ummmm, "let me check". Ohh they made a mistake we will credit you.. I was thinking you &$^%&$%^$ better credit me.

This is why I am now going to do all my own oil/filter changes and as much as I can do or learn how to do on my own or with a little help. I looked under the car and the Gold filter is there so at least THAT is right, but I do not know what oil is really in there. Man, that ticks me off

I still have to go to Honda to get the code checked out..again. Arghghg

Semper Fi

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x
706 Posts
Sounds like they didn't actually harm your vehicle, so you can count that as a plus. Yeah, the diagnostic charge is always a shocker. Mebbe three yrs ago my Taurus was running rough, diagnostic fee was $103. and the problem found was just a clogged PCV valve. Well the new pcv valve fixed the problem but it was something I should have checked myself. And no matter where I had the oil changed, I was charged for 6 qts. oil....my Vulcan 6cyl took 5qts, Ford's Duratec engine took the 6.qt. Always an argument at pay-up time. Finally I wrote "5 qts. ONLY" in bold yellow marker on the valve cover. One thing that ticks me off, no matter where you bring your vehicle you are paying the full labor rate of that shop ($80-110 dollars an hour) and like as not there's a kid working on your motor. Sheesh....
Steve
09 2.5X AT

·
2010 Forester XT 4EAT
1,122 Posts
You guys need to find a mechanic/garage/dealership service department that doesn't suck and is trustworthy. or DIY
That's the problem, most of them are NOT trustworthy.

Everyone's out to make a quick buck. Nobody else cares about your car as much as you do. Actually, they don't care about your car at all really. They are in business to make money and that's it. If you're lucky they're going to do the minimum fastest job they can to get things done(hopefully correctly) and to charge as much as they can period. Get 'em in and get 'em out fast.

I only go to a very select few ever to people I know personally.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X 4 A/T
308 Posts
AAMCO- Wow I can't believe people still go there.

My friend's mom was having a rough shift issue with her Pontiac Grand Am after getting the car stuck in a snowbank. Her son, and then the back-yard mechanic where she gets her routine work done both suggested a tranny fluid and filter change, as the fluid was just a little burnt.

She decides to take the car to AAMCO for a 'free estimate'. Five minutes after she let them have the car, they come in with a report saying it needed a complete transaxle rebuild, new transaxle drive chain, new torque converter and two new half shafts for $3500. -They never drove the car-never had the pan off the transaxle- what are they magicians to know the entire problem without looking.(and why two half shafts-no cracked boots?) She told them she was going for a second opinion-they told her the car was unsafe to drive, she should have it towed and handed her a bill for 'diagnostics' of $35. She told them to shove the bill and drove away

Her mechanic changed the fluid by disconnection the cooler return line to get all 9 quarts cycled out- told her to drive it a week-then he dropped the pan and changed the filter and fluid again. $125

She is still driving the car and has put another 125,000 miles on the transaxle with no problem.

·
Registered
04 Forester XT
25 Posts
AAMCO- Wow I can't believe people still go there.

My friend's mom was having a rough shift issue with her Pontiac Grand Am after getting the car stuck in a snowbank. Her son, and then the back-yard mechanic where she gets her routine work done both suggested a tranny fluid and filter change, as the fluid was just a little burnt.

She decides to take the car to AAMCO for a 'free estimate'. Five minutes after she let them have the car, they come in with a report saying it needed a complete transaxle rebuild, new transaxle drive chain, new torque converter and two new half shafts for $3500. -They never drove the car-never had the pan off the transaxle- what are they magicians to know the entire problem without looking.(and why two half shafts-no cracked boots?) She told them she was going for a second opinion-they told her the car was unsafe to drive, she should have it towed and handed her a bill for 'diagnostics' of $35. She told them to shove the bill and drove away

Her mechanic changed the fluid by disconnection the cooler return line to get all 9 quarts cycled out- told her to drive it a week-then he dropped the pan and changed the filter and fluid again. $125

She is still driving the car and has put another 125,000 miles on the transaxle with no problem.
Jeez--stories like this are so commonplace yet it makes it no less infuriating.

·
Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
1,785 Posts
Jeez--stories like this are so commonplace yet it makes it no less infuriating.
AAMCO has been a ripoff operation forever. I remember taking a car there in 1972 for a fluid change and their approach was to bring in your trans pan on a custom paper towel with their logo on it and start applying pressure to sell you major, big dollar work that you did not need. Again using the "your car is unsafe" BS line.

They should not be in business and I'm surprised that they still are.

George

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,259 Posts
USMC1968,

My gadgets can read an engine code. I live near Tyson's Corner; let me know if you want to drop by.

Regards,
Jim / crewzer

1 - 9 of 9 Posts