Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title states, is there a reason you sel them in store but not online ?

·
Super Moderator
17,718 Posts
I can't see where Discount Tire's post answers the question. It just repeats a statement of what we already know. Strange, since their rep here has always seemed to play it straight with us.

Tirerack doesn't sell Nokian either. Manufacturer prohibition against on-line sales? And against talking about it?

·
Premium Member
10,409 Posts
Does Discount Tire ever plan to get a contract and sell Nokian online?

If it weren't so dang hard to get them, I'd be so much more inclined to buy snow tires for our cars.

·
Premium Member
6,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the answer, makes sense. And yes, you'd probably sell a ton of them if you did it online. Don't forget there's a huge 30 million strong market in Canada that needs winter tires.... US pricing is nearly always cheaper.

Now how about Toyo winter tires ?

·
Supporting Vendor
866 Posts
Thanks for the answer, makes sense. And yes, you'd probably sell a ton of them if you did it online. Don't forget there's a huge 30 million strong market in Canada that needs winter tires.... US pricing is nearly always cheaper.

Now how about Toyo winter tires ?
Same deal with the Toyo brand. We do not mail order them at this time since we sell Nitto products (Toyos sister company).

Does Discount Tire ever plan to get a contract and sell Nokian online?

If it weren't so dang hard to get them, I'd be so much more inclined to buy snow tires for our cars.
That's a good question. All contracts are worked up at our corporate office so I have no idea.

·
Super Moderator
17,718 Posts
That's a good question. All contracts are worked up at our corporate office so I have no idea.
Would you be willing to ask? Surely you're in a better position to do so than are we. Especially with Tirerack not carrying them, you might be able to corner a big piece of the market.

I love the Nokians on my Forester and really want to get some for my wife's Impreza. The guy who mounted mine, an old New Hampshire hand with many winters behind him, pronounced them the world's best snow tires!

·
Supporting Vendor
866 Posts
Would you be willing to ask? Surely you're in a better position to do so than are we. Especially with Tirerack not carrying them, you might be able to corner a big piece of the market.

I love the Nokians on my Forester and really want to get some for my wife's Impreza. The guy who mounted mine, an old New Hampshire hand with many winters behind him, pronounced them the world's best snow tires!
I anticipated this question and I already sent off an email. I'll let you know what I find out.

·
Supporting Vendor
866 Posts
For follow up here, I received an email back from our Tire department and it looks like they will be looking into these tires for the winter of 2009/2010 but they can not guarantee anything at this point. Negotiations for winter tires are made in the late spring/ early fall. If I hear anything new on the progress of this I will let you know. I was informed that because this is a tire designed for the Euro market, the supply goes first to Europe then everywhere else. Best I can tell you know is, we'll see what we can do.

·
Registered
21 Posts
From what I've heard there is a certain tire chain that has an exclusive contract for canada, that may make it harder for them to ship throughout north america? Just a theory I have no facts to back this up, too bad because nokians are excelent tires and it wouldn't hurt to have some competion

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I've purchased all the tires and most of the wheels for my vehicles through Discount Tire and swear by them! When I got my Subaru I started searching for good tires and found the WRG2 SUV which received rave reviews from other online forums. Wanting to try a set of these, I purchased through Tire Factory (authorized retailer near me) and absolutely love the tires! Unfortunately their service leaves a lot to be desired. It took over two hours for them to dismount my stock tires and install the WR's.. and that was with an appointment. I went back today for a tire rotation and they said it would be approx 40 mins til they could get to me. They had one car in the bay.. with two guys working on it. So I left to drop the dog off at home and when I returned, the guy working the counter was in the office talking on the phone with his "honey" about a trip to Maui. Meanwhile, the guy who worked on my car last time waved hello to me through the window but never came to see if I needed any help. I waited almost 10 mins without anyone helping me. I was beyond irritated so I left and went down the street to Discount Tire who rotated my tires in record time, even with a lobby full of customers on a saturday. So in short (too late for that), I'm not going back to Tire Factory, I'd rather buy another set of Nokians online and have Discount Tire install them for me, even if it ends up costing a little more in the long run. Thanks guys!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts