Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Gone but not forgotten - R.I.P.
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, this is wierd.

[wierdness]

I live in NJ, 5 minutes from a bridge to PA. I've never had any problems with my remote entry key fob until now.

Last weekend I crossed the mighty Delaware to do pick up a few things before the snow fall. After parking and shopping, my remote entry refused to work until I unlocked the drivers door, stuck the key in the ignition and hit the fob's unlock button to queit the angry honking. I thought nothing of it and the remote entry continuted to work all week in the beloved Garden State of NJ.

Yesterday, I crossed the Delaware again to pick up my losing Powerball tickets and attend to other sundry shopping. When I went back to my car after the purchases, my remote entry fob didn't work, again. I saw the little LED light on the fob but never got the friendly honk, welcoming me into the driver's seat and never heard that little click of excitement that Mr. Car generally gives me as the driver's door unlocks.

I ventured back across the river to NJ and continued my shopping. When I parked I tested the unlock feature several times and got the usual honk. I locked Mr. Car with the remote, got my case of beer and came back to unlock him with the remote.

[/wierdness]

What gives here?

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,196 Posts
This usually means that you're near a high power transmitter of some sort that is interfering with your signal. It regularly happens to me at a nearby shopping center that's close to a TV station.

·
Gone but not forgotten - R.I.P.
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. It makes sense.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,196 Posts
A quick followup - If the alarm does go off and the remote won't silence it, you should be able to do it with three quick on/off cycles of the ignition key.

(I've edited this to remove my incorrect assumption that the remote's antenna is at the same place as the radio antenna. Subsequent posts reveal otherwise.)

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,128 Posts
That's interesting. I saw another post that said, the receiver at least, was near the passenger side front fender. When mine malfunctions due to R.F. (I think), if I put the transmitter near the r.f. fender it almost always works. Maybe once I had to press lock again first and then it would unlock.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,196 Posts
I could be wrong. The radio antenna is in the window, so perhaps I extrapolated incorrectly.

·
Registered
98 Posts
In my town, there are a number of dead zones where the remote won't work or works only if you are very close to the vehicle. Interference from powerful broadcast or communication towers is to blame. The remotes on some of the newest Subarus hardly work at all on the west side of town.

The receiver for the remote key fob is behind the glove box in North Amercian models - not sure about others. If you have a problem with inteference, stand by the right side of the car and aim the remote through the window at the glove box (or use the key). The antenna in the left rear window is just for the AM/FM radio receiver.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts