Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know why? I was under the impression that all XT's had VLSD's. I removed the diff, took the cover off and there it was, a useless piece of poo open diff.

really!?

·
Registered
1998 Cayenne GTS 6speed
1,751 Posts
It is a VLSD. The viscous coupling (yes, a really tiny one) is behind (under) the crown gear, iirc. Esy to check if it's working by turning one of the axle outputs by hand.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well blow me! I thought it looked like a open diff (obvioulsy).

Could some of you diff guru's possibly help me with another diff problem I have? I'm in the middle of fitting an STi clutch pack type rear diff and I noticed that I was unable to turn the any of the rear wheels while the car was jacked up and out of gear.
I'm presently having problems with a cv joint on the rear end as well, not sure if it's the bell joint(outer) or the double offset joint(inner).

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,254 Posts
It does, but it isn't. All of the LSD components are sandwiched between the bolt heads and the ring gear.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,254 Posts
Some type of Torsen or helical diff, no doubt.

Clutch diffs have cutouts for the locking-cams.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,254 Posts
Depends on what you are doing. Clutch types tend to be noisy, kind of aggressive, but required for extended usage where wheelspin is an issue (rally, or lifting a tire in auto-x).

Helical LSD's are better suited for situations where both wheels remain in contact with the ground.

Typically, for daily drivers that aren't tracked or raced on a super competitive level, a helical LSD is going to be a better option... typically more expensive as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts