Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
08 2.5x
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i guess this might be a strange question for most people in here. But why can't you? I was driving around town the other day thinking i really don't need the AWD all the time. Wouldn't it save gas if you could turn it off when you don't need it. Is there reason subaru doesn't put a switch on the dash to turn the AWD on and off?

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT
123 Posts
Subaru's logic is, as I understand it, you are safer with AWD on at all times and all road conditions. Fuel economy is not that drastically reduced by using AWD.

This is my first AWD car, and I noticed that in mountain driving, or where roads are twisting, I feel more secure and steady, and traction is much better than with my FWD Hondas. So, maybe teir logic is correct.

·
Premium Member
2008 2008 2.5i-2018 XT
13,212 Posts
There won't be much if any economy bc everything is still turning from the transfer case to and including the rear differential. And handling will not be optimal.

·
Registered
08 2.5x
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There won't be much if any economy bc everything is still turning from the transfer case to and including the rear differential. And handling will not be optimal.
Couldn't they just make the center diff unlock? I know it would make handling different. With most 4wd trucks you have the front diff spinning all the time too. Thats why they use to have a locking hub. Its not that i don't like or want AWD thats why i got my forester and not some other Fwd car. I was just kind of wondering if there wasn't a better way sometimes.

A

·
0 Posts
I drive my wifes front wheel drive car and pulling out of junctions in the wet is a joke, so look forward to getting back in my forester for some grip :icon_biggrin:

·
The Modfather
2016 BRZ Limited - Manual 6 Speed Manual
8,097 Posts
Please, you ask a question, get what look to be fair answers yet don't seem to like the answers, then you get what appears to be snippy. SD was trying to be helpful is all.

It's been shown that turning off the AWD does not save fuel so I guess they figure there would be no point to it other than loosing the safety factor of having AWD. Say it were turned off for whatever reason and a deer runs out or there is something in the road you need to perform an emergency maneuver, you aren't going to have time to turn the switch on. Also, my bet is the amount of people that would really want that feature is probably limited, so Subaru most likely did not think it was cost effective to include other then the need of having it when you put on a temp spare. Even then it's only on the automatic cars.

Sad truth is most people today just want to put the car in drive and go and don't care about much else. This is why standard cars are increasingly hard to find.

·
Registered
2009 2.5X EJ253 Manual
2,830 Posts
Subaru has designed the entire powertrain around continuous AWD. It is their edge. It works exceedingly well and so Subaru being a fairly conservative car company is sticking with what works for them. I completely agree with their philosophy.

As far as fuel efficiency, for comparison I offer the vehicle I traded out of to get my Forester: 2007 Chevy HHR, 2.2 liter Ecotec DOHC 16 valve 4 cyl, w/ coil-on-plug ignition, 10:1 compression. Vehicle weight and shape approximately the same as my Forester, aero dynamics approximately the same or very close. HHR was FWD. Both spec'd for 87 octane regular unleaded. I am seeing virtually the same MPG for the most part in the Forester as I did in the HHR. The only difference is the Forester seems to take a slightly bigger MPG hit in cold weather than the HHR did, by about 1.5 mpg on the dash display. My monthly fuel bills are for the most part virtually unchanged given the same driving habits accross both vehicles.

·
The Modfather
2016 BRZ Limited - Manual 6 Speed Manual
8,097 Posts
Or you can look on the subaru website for the answer:

All-Wheel Drive | Subaru AWD

Full-time Traction for Your Full-time Life

At Subaru, we believe in traction. Better traction expands a vehicle's versatility and capability. It creates better handling and control. It can be the difference between you avoiding a dangerous situation or you being caught in one. Keeping a sure grip of the road increases the confidence you feel behind the wheel.

We've spent nearly 40 years developing and perfecting our systems for traction and control. The result is Subaru Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive. Its unique design keeps more power routed to all four wheels and keeps the vehicle exceptionally balanced for poise and tight handling. Not every all-wheel drive system is the same, and none provide traction and control in quite the same way as Subaru AWD. It's why Subaru owners believe in their vehicles, and why they feel the freedom to live more of the life they love.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT
123 Posts
Please, you ask a question, get what look to be fair answers yet don't seem to like the answers, then you get what appears to be snippy. SD was trying to be helpful is all.

It's been shown that turning off the AWD does not save fuel so I guess they figure there would be no point to it other than loosing the safety factor of having AWD. Say it were turned off for whatever reason and a deer runs out or there is something in the road you need to perform an emergency maneuver, you aren't going to have time to turn the switch on. Also, my bet is the amount of people that would really want that feature is probably limited, so Subaru most likely did not think it was cost effective to include other then the need of having it when you put on a temp spare. Even then it's only on the automatic cars.

Sad truth is most people today just want to put the car in drive and go and don't care about much else. This is why standard cars are increasingly hard to find.
Kinda what I said but with fewer words:icon_wink::icon_wink::icon_wink:

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 4EAT
2,185 Posts
I drove around in FWD for a couple months because of a mod gone wrong... and it was useless. My fuel milage did not improve and the front wheel spin was out of control, torque steer everywhere. The simple answer is these cars were not designed to be used in anything but an AWD configuration.

Driving my forester around in FWD was unpleasant at best and sometimes dangerouse.

·
Premium Member
2008 2008 2.5i-2018 XT
13,212 Posts
One last thing. If Subaru made a turnoff switch and that person got into an accident..any accident. That person would hire a legion of lawyers to prove that Subaru allowed a less safe driving condition. They would be insane to provide a switch disabling AWD.
[/Thread]

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT
3,726 Posts

Exactly. I though it would be obvious to the OP that his answer(s) could be found in one (or many) of the 8 threads I found for him. Guess that made it too easy.

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
Once agen not what I'm asking about. I'm asking why didn't subaru make it so you could turn the AWD on and OFF not how do i turn it on and off. If you don't like the thread don't post in it.
IMHO, you're better off asking Subaru because you're asking why THEY didn't make cars with a PART TIME AWD system rather than a FULL TIME AWD system. We can't answer for Subaru because we aren't Subaru.

BUT it has already been expressed via the threads that SD linked and a few other posts here: Subaru designed the AWD system to be full time rather than part time. The idea is to prevent slip and adverse situations (e.g. being stuck), rather than letting it happen and then having the system kick in (which a part time AWD system can allow to happen).

Locking hubs work only for PART TIME 4WD systems. Locking hubs are also high maintenance and not for your average driver. They depend heavily upon the driver to know their driving conditions prior to engaging the locking hub and the demographic for that is much different than Subaru's target (people who knowingly drive in adverse terrain vs people who just drive.. and want to do it safely).

·
Registered
2009 X
89 Posts
Well... I guess to answer the original question, why doesn't Subaru give you the ability to switch to FWD, I think the best answer is because it's Subaru, full time AWD is one of their primary selling points. If you wanted something else, their are other options out there like the RAV4 or the CRV.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT
271 Posts
:huh:
Never thought I'd see the day... a Subaru owner on a Subaru forum complaining about full time AWD :shake:

Plenty of other vehicles out there that have FWD based systems :shrug:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.