Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As advertised the hood on my 03 XS is made of aluminum (Aluminium for those down under and across the Pond) Does anybody know why it is aluminum other than the obvious reason, reduced weght? There must be additional reasons, for them to go to all that trouble?

Shure is nice, it is easy to lift and hold up.

Will it dent easier? Anybody had any experience there? 8)

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
As advertised the hood on my 03 XS is made of aluminum (Aluminium for those down under and across the Pond) Does anybody know why it is aluminum other than the obvious reason, reduced weght? There must be additional reasons, for them to go to all that trouble?

Shure is nice, it is easy to lift and hold up.

Will it dent easier? Anybody had any experience there? 8)
I have been wondering the same thing, I guess it also helps to disperse heat from the Engine bay. Would be nice if the whole car was Aluminium but there are limits to what we are prepared to pay.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I thought all newer subarus are made out of aluminum throughout all of the exterior panels

D

·
0 Posts
I think tha reason is because their paint sucks so bad they figure all those rock chips that we get won't be able to rust with the aluminum up front, just a thought... Any thoughts on this.
I was also wondering if the newer WRX's have aluminum trunk lids anyone know about this???

·
The convert formely known as Lexusfreak
2003 XS
3,970 Posts
Reduction in weight = lower center of gravity = better handling + better fuel economy without any sacrifice in safety to name a few. :)

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,456 Posts
On that note, has anyone else noticed a slow deformation in the aluminum hood over time? When viewed from the front, the panel gap between the hood and the grille/headlight is getting noticeably larger on the passenger side of Subed than the drivers side. It's almost like the air entering the area where the stock intake would be (behind the pass. side headlight) pushes the hood up over time. At the same time the hood seems to sag a little along the alignment with the drivers side fender. Am I driving too fast? :confused:

·
Premium Member
2004 FXT '05 6mt r180 Carbonetics 1.5w lsd
1,094 Posts
Lexusfreak said:
Reduction in weight = lower center of gravity = better handling + better fuel economy without any sacrifice in safety to name a few. :)
I agree.

On one note, the hood of my '95 legacy weighs a ton compared to the F-XT.

On another note, I totalled my first F-XT and now on my second. I noticed no safety issues re the hood with the impact suffered in the first F-XT. It deformed normally and w/o damage that would endanger the driver.

·
Premium Member
2004 FXT MT Cobb Stage 2
858 Posts
pleiad7 said:
On that note, has anyone else noticed a slow deformation in the aluminum hood over time? When viewed from the front, the panel gap between the hood and the grille/headlight is getting noticeably larger on the passenger side of Subed than the drivers side. It's almost like the air entering the area where the stock intake would be (behind the pass. side headlight) pushes the hood up over time. At the same time the hood seems to sag a little along the alignment with the drivers side fender. Am I driving too fast? :confused:
That's easily fixed. There are rubber bumpers above the headlights on the radiator support. Screw them in or out by hand to adjust the hood gap on each side.

V

·
0 Posts
Will it dent easier = Yes!

I threw my dogs bone into the backyard, clipped a tree and it fell onto my bonnet...it now has a couple of small dents to remind be what a bad thrower I am.

I had another accident in the first year of owning my MY04XT where the wind blew some building site materials onto my car and the bonnet suffered real bad. The panel beater said there was no way it could be repaired and the whole bonnet needed replacement.

Panel beating Aluminium, from what I understand, is not that easy and it deforms differently.

The fact that the Subaru dealer (and mechanics) make it clear that to close the bonnet it should be dropped and not pressed down just goes to show how easily it can be dented.

Vas

·
Registered
2010 FXT Limited 4EAT Sport Shift
1,461 Posts
Pleiad-
I have noticed "temporary" deformation of the hood when sudden wind gusts or semi's pass...it's like the hood enclosure expands like a baloon.
Re your hood deformation, it's probably the engine rotation torqueing the body!
-Quick

·
Harbor Fright
2005 XT
363 Posts
Quicksilver said:
Pleiad-
I have noticed "temporary" deformation of the hood when sudden wind gusts or semi's pass...it's like the hood enclosure expands like a baloon.
Re your hood deformation, it's probably the engine rotation torqueing the body!
-Quick
Passed by a Semi!???

Good one!...:razz:

·
German tech
MY16 Audi S3 Sedan DSG 6 speed
3,563 Posts
vasme said:
Will it dent easier = Yes!

The fact that the Subaru dealer (and mechanics) make it clear that to close the bonnet it should be dropped and not pressed down just goes to show how easily it can be dented.

Vas
You should use that technique with all hoods/bonnets. Saves getting hand prints on the paint too. Also ensures the bonnet is truly closed.

As for denting easier, haven't noticed any problems. Guess it depends what alloys they have used with the Al if any

·
Registered
259 Posts
pleiad7 said:
I have notice that the hood will try and lift up when driving at highway speeds into a wind. I have the hood deflector on the front so I thought it was that... it's pretty unnerving to see the front edge of the hood lift.

BTW, I was driving into a 40 mph headwind when I really noticed it. It also happens (as previously noted) on gusty days. On most normal highway driving it's ok.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Im surprised/jealous, I dont think any version of SF's got aluminum hoods, one things for sure, the steel body panels are thin and delicate enough, my steel hood might be the only panel that doesnt have small mysterious dents on it.

·
Premium Member
3,143 Posts
my wrx bonnet/hood used to lift about 130mph :D . The larger scoop is a contributary factor ........

B

·
0 Posts
for safety?

Actually, a rep from SOA said they use aluminum on the foresters so that it will bend upon frontal impact rather than sheer through the windshield. Dunno if I believe it. Just what they said.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts