Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Forester auto
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not quite the usual fodder that the media prints up to fill space - a list of the best 10 snow cars on the market. That Subaru got two in shows the value of their AWD system: Yahoo!

Sadly, the Forester didn't make their cut. And that was likely because they had to show some impartiality. Plus, the others apparently do a good job, too, and represent a wide range of prices.

I'm not disappointed - buying a Forester to get the same AWD ability means you get around just as well. But it does mean something - is the new Forester the issue, or has it morphed into something supersized and less capable overall? I have some concerns about it when I park my 99 near a 2013. There is a significant difference.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to snow, and our local forecaster has predicted a colder winter with some major snow storms for us. Last year we had a few inches that melted by noon - the previous year we had 19 inches that shut things down for a few days. I got around in the Cherokee, but I was reading about Subaru owners going out in it in vain attempts to get stuck - and couldn't - with pics posted. That left a significant impression.

We are a three AWD Subaru family now, the daughter's Legacy, my Forester, and my son just bought an Outback. My wife says No Subaru, but she's not taking a Grand Caravan out in the slop unless she absolutely has to.

Bring on the snow! :bananapartyhat:

·
Registered
2000 Impreza, 2003 Bugeye Sport, 2010 Base, 2014 Base, 2015 Premium, 2017 Limited, 2020 Touring
1,020 Posts
The snow is why my Wife and I have driven Subies since 2000. Before them, 4WD SUV's, and before that FWD, before that we struggled greatly. LOL.

·
Registered
1999 Forester 5MT
856 Posts
Their STI comments crack me up. First, my wife's Impreza sits higher than my STI, not lower. Second, the "volatile" 305HP is easily kept in check since it's a turbo and has normal power below 3000RPM. Third, the tires are easily changed.

Both of our Imprezas have been beasts in the snow. I'm sure our Forester beater will be nearly as capable (lacks VDC or front/rear LSDs which the Imprezas benefit from). If Subarus whole lineup had been considered, there wouldn't have been much room for anyone else on a top ten list. :lol:

·
Registered
2010 Forester Active 2.0X MT 2x5 - MT with Dual Range reduction
1,235 Posts
In that list - maybe except of the Volvo - there isn't any real SUV like the Forester.:icon_rolleyes:
Without thinking twice I charge that the Forester will beat nearly all of them in a real snowy weather.:raspberry:

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5 Speed
740 Posts
Their STI comments crack me up. First, my wife's Impreza sits higher than my STI, not lower. Second, the "volatile" 305HP is easily kept in check since it's a turbo and has normal power below 3000RPM. Third, the tires are easily changed.
I was thinking 'wait.. wut the %&#$? An STi sits higher than a base impreza? And yeah they may come with stickytires for summer, but theyre all useless without good snow tires. So whatever car you buy you should get snows for it anyway.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Premium CVT
105 Posts
We scoured automakers’ spec sheets to compile a list of 10 cars and wagons (including one minivan for good measure) that can be expected to make short work of all but the most severe winter conditions.
...which is to say, they did the same homework that you or I could do at the kitchen table, selecting models from brands marketed to Forbes' (generally upper-middle-class) demographic.

Unless qualified by real-world testing and data, such "best of" lists are little more than content filler published to draw web traffic. The rankings are meaningless, as is the omission of any particular vehicle(s).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts