Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Outback 2.5i
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For real though, not just "I wish"ers :raspberry: Here's what I'm thinking;
Subarus only, 3 day weekend in August, off pavement (mostly), camping, road trip style, trails and route TBD based on interest (possibly around Buena Vista?). High country should be without or with minimum snow so most trails will be accessible. So, who's in? I'm not great at planning (otherwise I'd have a detailed plan already), but I can give it my best once I see interest. Colorado is beautiful and in August the high country is pleasant to be in. Y'all have seen how much fun we've had last Summer and that was just in the foothills - aka low country :cool:

·
Registered
2003 2.5x
645 Posts
Buena Vista?...yuck...unless we hit the area that was used for hill climbs

How about near Durango and Telluride, much better territory. Perhaps down south near Pagosa Springs?

·
Registered
2006 XT
671 Posts
Hmmm. Let me check my schedule. Sure the snow will be gone but I'd never take my Foz on all routes. Yes there is plenty to do but Yankee Boy and Imogene are for rigs other than mine. Let's discuss... I've a shack near Ridgway.

·
Registered
2007 Outback 2.5i
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm gonna start planning, at least try to work on a route. For a multiple day trip I wouldn't want to do anything too crazy. Don't wanna kill the cars, just to get out and see the country (and make sure we get them dirty :icon_wink:).

·
Registered
2007 Outback 2.5i
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, wheels are starting to turn... I'm thinking Denver as a starting point, go west on 285, do some passes up around Jefferson, Breckenridge, Alma, towards Leadville, down to Buena Vista, Salida, Royal Gorge Bridge, Gold Belt Byway, Garden Of the Gods, etc. I'll get more specific later and will start another thread (this was just to gauge interest). So, what do you think?

·
Registered
2005 Forester X
225 Posts
Ok, wheels are starting to turn... I'm thinking Denver as a starting point, go west on 285, do some passes up around Jefferson, Breckenridge, Alma, towards Leadville, down to Buena Vista, Salida, Royal Gorge Bridge, Gold Belt Byway, Garden Of the Gods, etc. I'll get more specific later and will start another thread (this was just to gauge interest). So, what do you think?
Sounds good to me. I'm easy to please. I'll do some searching and see if I have any ideas to contribute.

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
5,484 Posts
Hey guys, Subacool just let me know what's going on with this. There's a good chance I will be out of town if we do this in August.

As of right now I will be out of town August 1-8 and possibly the 27-29.

I would like to come on this, and can serve as a really big recovery vehicle with the Suburban.

·
Registered
2007 Outback 2.5i
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey guys, Subacool just let me know what's going on with this. There's a good chance I will be out of town if we do this in August.

As of right now I will be out of town August 1-8 and possibly the 27-29.

I would like to come on this, and can serve as a really big recovery vehicle with the Suburban.
He IS alive!! :biggrin: I was thinking either the first or second weekend in August. I am leaning towards the second weekend (13th-15th) but I would not want to do this any later than that. I have something on the 8th too (but it can be skipped).

Smash, the gas on the Burb will kill you, not to mention you'd probably be bored on the dirt roads :raspberry: Bring the Subie!! Besides, I did say "Subies only" :icon_rolleyes: (I probably won't hold anybody to it, might have to accept a few non-Subie outcasts :shake:)

·
Registered
2003 2.5x
645 Posts
It's a possibility, thanks! :cool:
North at the Mickey D's in Woodland Park...its a sweet drive:icon_cool::icon_cool:

If you guys cant swing the Rampart Reservoir route back towards Denver, at least do the Cripple Creek back way to Co Springs, road comes out at Cheyenne Mountain near the Zoo.

Have fun all!

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
5,484 Posts
Haha, yes I'm alive, just not on this forum much. I'll try to keep an eye on this thread. Will be out of town for 4 days starting tomorrow morning, so if I'm quiet that's why.

Will be the Suburban for me. Will allow Karla to come along with the dogs and camp very comfortably. Hell, it's what I bought it for.

Plus, it's a really good idea to have a more capable and stronger vehicle along just in case.

Use trail damage to help you plan this, I bet that would be good. Chris over on FR4x4 is a good resource too, him and his wife have traveled a lot in the state.

·
Registered
2007 Outback 2.5i
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Will be the Suburban for me. Will allow Karla to come along with the dogs and camp very comfortably. Hell, it's what I bought it for.
Why didn't you just get an RV ya old Fart :raspberry: Kidding, off course, don't get your crutches up in a bunch :Banane35:

Yeah, I am on traildamage and at some point I might leak this out to FR4x4 and get some pointers :icon_wink: This is gonna be fairly mild trip, like I've said mostly for scenery, but I will probably throw in a few trails (optional) that might test some driver/car skills. We'll see. Anyways, I still vote you bring the Foz :N_poke: (maybe load it up in the Burp? :biggrin:)

·
Registered
2006 XT
671 Posts
Nice loop route. You can tell where my head was at, as I was thinking about slow bouldering routes.

·
Registered
2006 XT
671 Posts
You coming?
Most likely not. Mosquito Pass is the only part of the route that would be something I have not driven. I do plan to drift back up to RMNP for at least a week so there is a chance our paths may meet.

Once I've made the 933 miles from Dallas to Ridgway I tend to stay local, relax and get use to 10,000' of elevation. I'm sure Winter created some damage at my shack that needs tending to. It's something different each year with bears to rodents...

Thanks for your time in planning an outing. I have not been back to Colorado since working the SCCA RallyX Nationals in Fountian last fall. I miss it:biggrin:

·
Registered
2007 Outback 2.5i
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I do plan to drift back up to RMNP for at least a week so there is a chance our paths may meet.
Well, let me know! We can go check out some trails around Estes :Banane35:

1 - 20 of 58 Posts