Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
04' Forester XT
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the NEWB question... I have done a couple searches and have not come up with anything yet. I am new to the FXT and wanna know what kinda exhaust everyone is running.

I am unsure what is compatible with what, but am here to learn.

(Flame suit on)

Thanks guys

·
Registered
13 BRZ Limited 6MT
966 Posts
All 02-08 WRX/STI exhausts will fit, but will be a little bit short. Most people use longer hangers so that their bumpers don't get melted.

as far as FXT specific exhausts, stromung, Daddy's SCP make em. Cobb used to make one that has since been discontinued and Fujitsubo makes some, but apparently Fujitsubo USA doesn't carry em.

·
Registered
04' Forester XT
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^^^ Thanks guys... I appreciate it, So what I am seeing here is all 02-07' WRX/STI will work, i will just need to mod the hangers and or have a shop extend the rear section?

Thank you guys I appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
2008 FSXT 4EAT
4,143 Posts
Like everyone else said...02-07 WRX/STi will fit, but they may be a tad short, and one of the hangers on the muffler (axleback) will need to be moved.

Here are some popular options...

Cobb Downpipe / Stock Mid-pipe / STi Axleback

Cobb Downpipe / Cobb Mid-pipe / Cobb FXT Axleback

TurboXS Downpipe / TurboXS Race-pipe (or cat pipe) / TurboXS Mid-pipe / TurboXS FXT Axleback
^^^ This is on sale at Oakos.com for $840!!!! That's a damn steal for a new turboback exhaust! Here's the link, if you're interested... TurboXS FXT Exhaust

·
Premium Member
2008 FSXT 4EAT
4,143 Posts
You'll have to check out some of our exhaust setups on Sunday...

I'm running a Cobb TBE w/ an external wastegate.

Andy (Smooth) is running an Helix DP :biggrin:, stock mid-pipe, and an STi axleback...I think.

Tamer (Mochiiride) is running a Cobb TBE.

Edited for accuracy.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
Invidia also makes a Forester-specific axle-back, I believe. I'm running their v4 downpipe now (3" catted) and it's a great quality piece that cost me $450 shipped brand new -- great price IMO.

Some Forester-specific axlebacks will have a larger muffler. I believe Prodrive is that way. As far as downpipe and midpipe, '02-'07 WRX/STi stuff works just fine.

If just depends on your goals, budget and how much noise you want/willing to tolerate. If you'll be sticking with stock or VF* turbo, a good quality downpipe and a stock STi axleback would be a nice, quiet, inexpensive combo.

Stan

·
Registered
04' Forester XT
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you guys very much... I have an opportunity to buy an Invidia Cat-back exhaust for $200, but the muffler section was dented from a crash... I believe it came off an 06 WRX, Do you guys think thats a good buy?

Thanks

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT Sport
403 Posts
TurboXS Downpipe / TurboXS Race-pipe (or cat pipe) / TurboXS Mid-pipe / TurboXS FXT Axleback
^^^ This is on sale at Oakos.com for $840!!!! That's a damn steal for a new turboback exhaust! Here's the link, if you're interested... TurboXS FXT Exhaust

That's not a steal for that turboback. I sold them over $100 cheaper when I was a vendor. And there are other vendors doing the same.

·
Official sf.org decal guy
2006 FXT
12,367 Posts
I can't tell you enough how much I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Cobb Forester specific exhaust. It's really a shame that they don't sell it anymore.

The Impreza exhausts are pretty short IMHO but that's up to the buyer. There are plenty of people here that are happy with the Impreza specific exhausts on the Forester but it wasn't something I wanted to mess with. I'm not a fan of black soot on my bumper; to each his own though!

I would do a search to see what the Impreza specific exhausts look like when mounted to the Forester to see if it's going to be a concern for you BEFORE you buy.

just my $.02.

·
Premium Member
2007 Forester XT 4EAT-VTD
2,138 Posts
I'm running the MadDad Forester-specific TB and very much enjoy it -

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f94/maddad-exhaust-products-59516/

One other point about using WRX exhaust on the Forester - the pipe that goes under the rear axle has a sharper bend and will hang about 1 inch lower than one made specifically for the Forester. No biggie, but between that, having to mod the hanger arms (or get different hangers) and the tip being too short (may burn rear bumper), it's not a straight-up bolt on. With some work you can get it to sit pretty well though.

The MadDad Forester-specific 3-inch Whisper bolts straight on, fits perfectly and sounds astounding.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'm running the MadDad Forester-specific TB and very much enjoy it -

One other point about using WRX exhaust on the Forester - the pipe that goes under the rear axle has a sharper bend and will hang about 1 inch lower than one made specifically for the Forester. No biggie, but between that, having to mod the hanger arms (or get different hangers) and the tip being too short (may burn rear bumper), it's not a straight-up bolt on. With some work you can get it to sit pretty well though.

The MadDad Forester-specific 3-inch Whisper bolts straight on, fits perfectly and sounds astounding.
I'm ready to buy this and have been for weeks. Going on 2 or 3 weeks of no response to a couple simple questions. Emailed twice. Would buy in a second if they got back to me. Mainly I just want to know stock availability and if i could pick up local since i live a town or two over. Any trailer hitches that are known to work with the catback would be great too. At the time I was ready to buy a full turboback and headers, now I'll probably just get a turboback.

If there were any other forester specific options out there at the moment my money would be spent elsewhere.

The $400 knockoffs who respond to email questions within hours let alone days are pretty damn tempting at this point.

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited
1,513 Posts
That's not a steal for that turboback. I sold them over $100 cheaper when I was a vendor. And there are other vendors doing the same.
Was your price with free shipping? Also, which vendors are doing this? I'm really interested in this one and hoping to get one in the next couple of months.

·
Registered
2004 fxt A/T
2,567 Posts
Was your price with free shipping? Also, which vendors are doing this? I'm really interested in this one and hoping to get one in the next couple of months.
You are better off shooting him an email through his site or PMing him on NASIOC (Davenow or Defiant Autospeed) he doesn't frequent here much. The last time he was here was July 5th soon after his post in this thread. Just a heads up.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts