Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Forester x Manual
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i don't like buying spare parts from canadian tire ..i feel the quality is so bad and for prices also "can buy cheaper" :icon_biggrin:
so i opened this discussion to help each other with ideas :crazy:
for me i go to carquest ..sometimes to the dealer :icon_wink:

·
Premium Member
2014 2.0 XT yes
2,752 Posts
I've had good luck ordering from some of the US dealers that do online sales. Even with shipping and exchange, the price is usually better than what my local dealer charges. A few of them are vendors here as well.

·
Registered
1998 Forester 5spd
12 Posts
I also hate buying from Canadian Tire. I haven't bought parts for the Subaru here, but autopartsway.ca has been excellent for other vehicles of mine.

·
Registered
2009 forester xt TD05-18g 4eat
591 Posts
I find most parts are cheaper from across the boarder....or part source.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XS 5MT
2 Posts
I don't buy car parts from Canadian tire but I will buy oil there if it's on sale, or tools if they are having a fire sale.

·
Registered
2009 forester xt TD05-18g 4eat
591 Posts
^^ true enough....Rotella T6 for 32$ a gal cant really beat that anywhere else. Any mastercraft....Haha lifetime warranty, just make sure you have a back up for when it does break and youre waiting for the replacement.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Worldpac, its shop only but OEM distributor access with crazy cheap prices lol.

I have yet to purchase any replacement oem parts online, I want warranty for anything serious.

I plan on running Pennzoil Platinum on my car, seems like I have to get it from crappy tire from the looks of it. Hopefully I can get it from Autozone or whatever, I hate CT and I hate Partsource by association. They all turned to **** during the transfer.

·
Registered
1998 Forester 5spd
12 Posts
As I stated earlier, I've used autopartsway a lot with mostly good results. I've received the wrong part a couple times out of probably 20 orders. Shipping is very quick and their prices are usually best in Canada I've found.

·
Registered
2000 Forester Manual
203 Posts
autopartsway is decent for most parts. I had too many problems so I stopped using them. Had to do with returning incorrect parts. Bad customer service etc...

US sources like rockauto and subarupartsforyou are great. No mistakes for more than 100+ orders

Canadian Tire / Partsource copied the failure formula from the source (aka radio shack).
They lost the quality and selection that made them great in the past.

Now I use Napa (shop prices) when its better than rockauto with shipping

·
Registered
09 forester A/T
136 Posts
for those of you who bought parts from US and shipped to canada what extrra charges was incurred in the shipping? was planning to get parts from one of our sponsor here but dont want to be shocked with the "extra cost" once it gets here. ive read online that canada post charges 8$ fix shipping + the provincial tax. is there more to this?

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
195 Posts
I mostly order parts from Rockauto and from forum-friendly dealers. My son has "garage-type" prices at NAPA and (another outlet whose name escapes me right now) but most of the time Rockauto is cheaper for better-quality parts, even with shipping costs are accounted for.

Rockauto actually has one of the best customer service I've ever encountered. I once had missing brake pads for my wife's car - the box was damaged in one corner and the pads probably found the exit, and they shipped me another set for free.

Another time I had to call because of a mistake I made, and ended up chatting with the very nice lady who answered my call.

A couple of times I've had them ship directly to my house in Canada because I wasn't able to get time off to get to the USA, but the shipping costs were horrible - "brokerage fees" were heavy as h*ll. Normally I get the parts shipped to a US warehouse near the border where I can go pick them up.

As for CT.. well, as some said, when engine oil is on sale, but then again... it's still cheaper at Wally World in Plattsburgh or in Vermont... (especially for 0w20).

My 0.02$ (CDN)

·
Registered
2014 Forester Touring 6-Spd Manual
114 Posts
I don't buy part from CT either. Their wiper is over-priced. Their parts book is outdated and doesn't show anything beyone 2013. Occasionally I will get some synthetic engine oil when they are on sale.

I purchased parts from RockAuto. Shipping is expensive but I just order enough for a year to make up for the shipping cost.

·
Registered
2014 forester xt cvt
60 Posts
Try to find companies that will ship to Canada via usps (united states parcel service) then you will save on sales tax, brokerage fees and duty if applicable, not to mention better price for the part.

·
Registered
2006 Forester X Prem 4EAT
600 Posts
I use RockAuto a lot, and I always choose usps for shipping to my house. They include tax and brokerage fees in it, and it costs less than if I bought elsewhere especially for certain brands that are hard to come by in Canada.

I usually buy oil, filters & wipers at CT and tires at Costco.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts