Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
05 XT MT
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for the down and dirty on this install PLEASE. I remember this on the old site with a good write up from a member but cant remember who.

Thx for your time.

·
Harbor Fright
2005 XT
363 Posts
Think it was one of our neighbors to the North- maybe TWG?...

·
Registered
2010 dodge caravan auto
1,748 Posts
I did one on my old legacy, I have one for the forester but dont have the time to put on, even thought its easy (if the bolts come loose)

·
Registered
2004 FXT
830 Posts
ya.. it was me...

I had the Cusco H-brace. I think I had pictures, but I can't seem to find them, let me look.

But in a nutshell, everything bolts up fine, the only thing is the tab where normally you install the H brace over the subframe, you have to instead wedge this in between the subframe and the main frame. It'll be obvious when you go to test fit it under your car...

What I did is loosen the front bolts of the subframe (did not take them off completely) so that I could squeeze the H brace in...

You will need a long breaker bar to install the H brace though, the rear mounting bolt is like over 100 ft-lbs...

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
twg. I imagine this tightened up the front end allot. Did you have to counter it with a larger rear swaybar?

Bland...

·
Registered
2004 FXT
830 Posts
ya, I noticed that the front end is a lot stiffer... it also surprisingly increased the understeer...

I had STI RSB, previous to H-brace car was a tad on the understeer at limits, now it tends to understeer more, similar to stock...

I have in my basement the Cobb 25mm sway bar setup f/r. I haven't installed it yet though.. too cold outside... brrr...

I also have in the mail, Perrin's rear strut bar setup.

Right now, I have front cusco H-brace and also front top strut bar.. but I have nothing in the back, except for sti rsb... so a bit unbalanced. I want to get Perrin's bar in first, I'm sure that will stiffen up rear a bit and reduce the understeer.. then I'll put the cobb bars on and adjust the rear sway bar accordingly...

can't wait for spring... :evilgrin:

·
Premium Member
2004 FXTi
764 Posts
twg said:
ya.. it was me...

I had the Cusco H-brace. I think I had pictures, but I can't seem to find them, let me look.

But in a nutshell, everything bolts up fine, the only thing is the tab where normally you install the H brace over the subframe, you have to instead wedge this in between the subframe and the main frame. It'll be obvious when you go to test fit it under your car...

What I did is loosen the front bolts of the subframe (did not take them off completely) so that I could squeeze the H brace in...

You will need a long breaker bar to install the H brace though, the rear mounting bolt is like over 100 ft-lbs...
Even after talking with TWG and seeing his pictures I still tried to do the install as per the STI/WRX over the subframe. Well, I got it to work...sorta. I was able to start the threads into the rear holes and using 650lb ft of ingersol rand air impact wrech I got the rear bolts to go 3/4 of the way in. At which point something funky happened and part of the bolt started stripping under the IMMENSE forces involved. ARRGHH.

Bottom line, on the FXT the front ears of the H brace must go UNDER the subframe. And don't listen to any WRX guys who tell you that you just aren't doing it right.

I'll try to post some pics later.

Regards,
Justin Wade
2004 FXTi

·
Registered
46 Posts
twg said:
ya.. it was me...

Was this the Forester specific Cusco H-brace or one of the WRX/STI versions?

·
Registered
2004 FXT
830 Posts
I found the images... they were on photobucket...

You can see how they don't fit here:

and here:

This is how short the back ends become:

So to install it, I loosened the subframe bolts:

This is what it looks like installed:

·
Registered
46 Posts
There is a SG5 Forester specific part for the Cusco H-brace.

The only english examples I can find are from here. Note the different part numbers.

SG5 - http://www.hyperrev.com/store/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=9&products_id=8157&osCsid=a32a8e61ed349abb717552ee434970be
GDA - http://www.hyperrev.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=390_391_840_1140&products_id=8126&osCsid=a32a8e61ed349abb717552ee434970be
GC8 - http://www.hyperrev.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=390_503_600_1134&products_id=8101&osCsid=a32a8e61ed349abb717552ee434970be

Just ran across a PDF file outlining many Cusco parts with their appropriate part numbers broken down by chasis. LINK

·
Registered
68 Posts
I can sell you a real Cusco one that I tried to install. Didn't think about going under the subframe. (slap forehead with the palm of hand) I ended up putting the STI front brace from SubieGal.

F

·
0 Posts
DOes the sti front brace fit without all the work, of loosening the subframe? I have a sti replica (the pink one off ebay) it was for the wrx is there any way to make this work???

1 - 19 of 19 Posts