Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2004 STI 6MT (2005)
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Uhm... So apparently my dad thinks we need to carry an axe, along with two sets of jumper cables, 2 flashlights, and about 15 bungee cords in the Forester. Is this necessary? I can't think of a situation that I'm cling to need a freaking axe in the car... I think I'll replace it with a shovel since that would surely help me in the snow!

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,897 Posts
I don't carry one, but then, I don't go off roading. :wink:

If I were into off roading, I'd have a shovel for sure & an ax isn't going to take up much more room. Don't forget water, food & a blankets. If you get stuck, you want to survive in comfort! :cool:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
1998 Forester S
22 Posts
I carry and axe, ratchet straps (**** ton of them) Bungee Cords, To many flash lights, complete tool box (yes not a kit I carry a whole box) Tire goo jiz **** for flat tires, oil, Lucas Oil, OBD Scanner, Flares, CB Radios (one mounted in the car and a hand held one), Medical Kit (another tool box full or medical supplies) Military Folding shovel with also doubles as an axe, and last but not least a winch.

·
The Modfather
2016 BRZ Limited - Manual 6 Speed Manual
8,095 Posts
I already carry a Voile Shovel, for winter driving. I think an Axe would be nice if you needed to clear the road of a tree or something. But one of those wire saws might be better. Although, an Axe can also be used as a hammer.

Attachments

·
Registered
1998 Forester S
22 Posts
Good point but thinking about it I have to say, F**K it and I'll just start carrying my Stihl MS 460. :icon_biggrin:

·
Premium Member
2007 Forester XT 4EAT-VTD
2,145 Posts
Army surplus folding shovel, tow strap, tire compressor, tire goo, flashlights, tire gauge, breaker bar with socket (for lug nuts), mechanic gloves and fire estinquisher - all in the bags around the Basslink:

And if I think Jason is going to show up to give me grief, I don't bother with the axe - I bring a Sport Utility Rifle:

·
Premium Member
2007 Forester XT 4EAT-VTD
2,145 Posts
Where you keeping your spare tire with that sub mounted there?
In my garage.

With a compressor, tire goo and being vigilant with my tires, I haven't had to change a tire on the side of the road in decades. Before getting in the car, I do a quick visual check of the tires. If one is low, I use the compressor to air it up and head to a service station.

If all else fails, I break out the cell phone and call for help.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5MT
87 Posts
Pocket chainsaw is a great little tool to take with you. It fits in a can the size of a snuff can and works well. I have actually had to use a hatchet to clear a sappling from the path to avoid possibly plummeting down a 120 foot drop off.

Best case scenario is to never need one, but let's not be crazy enough to live thinking that!! :crazy:

I personally have a Cold Steel Vietnam Tomahawk and the CS Spetznaz shovel (also useful as an axe in a pinch) They are light and small enough for a backpack. Every time I go off the beaten path, I bring what I need to get back!!

·
Registered
1998 Forester L 5MT
400 Posts
In my car at all times, in a rubbermaid bin the back, I've got a small hatchet, Gerber folding shovel, recovery strap, work gloves, a small Craftsman tool set, glass cleaner and paper towels, first aid, some bungee cords, and a few other things. I used the recovery strap four times in two days after that blizzard we had not too long ago, the shovel too. The tool set comes in handy very often. I've used that first aid kit many times, also. Haven't had a chance to use the hatchet yet, though. Even if I only use it on a camping trip for firewood, I'm glad it's already in there.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x
706 Posts
Uhm... So apparently my dad thinks we need to carry an axe, along with two sets of jumper cables, 2 flashlights, and about 15 bungee cords in the Forester. Is this necessary? I can't think of a situation that I'm cling to need a freaking axe in the car... I think I'll replace it with a shovel since that would surely help me in the snow!
Maybe your Dad's onto something...read in today's paper about a couple in Oregon who got stranded on a snowy logging road in the Cascades. Seems they put too much faith in their GPS. No cell service, no food, no fun! At least they could have chopped some firewood w/the axe...and kept Sasquatch at bay...
Steve
09 2.5X AT (no axe in the car...I live in MA, it's prolly against the law!)

·
Registered
2004 STI 6MT (2005)
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I don't carry one anymore, they're lame (unless I buy a super small one).

Here's before and after pics of my trunk:

annnnd After:

P.S. I took that lame axe out of there, just in the pic for lol's

1 - 20 of 68 Posts