Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need a link or directions for installing whiteline steering bushings on my 04 xt should be the same as the 04 sti coudn't find it on scoobymods or nasioc. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2012 camry se 6AT
2,809 Posts
download this video - well worth the download time.

http://wrx.dicknogs.net/multimedia/Bushings_wmv.wmv

The guy swapped out the bushing on an STi in 20 minutes. Very impressive and informative. What he did was removed the backing plate and stiffening brace to allow more room. There is also a before and after demonstration with stock vs whiteline bushings to show that there is noticeable improvement.

I failed the first install (driver side of course) attempt but I was successful the second time around.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Might buy these this week or next month. I think i should be fine installing them myself. Cant wait to feel the difference. Was at RalliTEK today and didnt feel like paying $40 for installation of these

Hopefully that scoobymods link Peaty provided for the installation of these bushings on a GC8 wont difffer to much to my car

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,053 Posts
I'm getting a set soon myself and I'll be doing a Scoobymods page for he Forester.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Peaty said:
I'm getting a set soon myself and I'll be doing a Scoobymods page for he Forester.

I recall a vendor selling these or something similar for $20.

Anybody remember the vendor?

Thanks

·
FXT Alumnus
662 Posts
Peaty said:
Wow, a mod that Peaty doesn't already have!

I ended up paying 1 hours labor to get mine installed recently.

I didn't know about the video though. Errrrr. :cry:

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Hmm wow, $10 cheaper than the Whitelines and according to the description they are the same except for the yellow bling color

·
Registered
70 Posts
I was messing with all of these very same bits last week while fixing a leaky hydraulic line nut on the steering rack from the pump, so i've gone through all the work I would have changing the bushings, my question is, whats the torque spec for the rack bushing clamp bolts? I found them very difficult to remove (breaker bar), and when reinstalling I found I could not confidently put the same force on tightening them, I felt like threads might die. Got a figure for these?

·
Harbor Fright
2005 XT
363 Posts
This mod has been the recipient of alot of bad press- it is not bad at all to do. I followed tips from several different forums, and here's what worked for me:

Loosen the column to pinion clamp.

Loosen both pairs of rack bolts, letting it drop slightly.

Remove bolts from one side, replace bushing, replace bolts loosely, then do the other side. Tighten all bolts.

Remember to tighten the column clamp after re-tightening the rack bolts.

~30 minutes start to finish including the drives up & down the ramps.

·
Registered
934 Posts
fxt22 said it. took me about 25 minutes and i think it made a big difference.
and i just bought a set for a friend off kastle for 17 bucks...their on sale right now

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the info I'll post my impression when they are installed.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Took advantage of the 60 degrees weather and installed them.

I only took off the splash guard after I put the car on ramps. I then unbolted both brackets and the steering rack dropped down. The bracket and the bushing on the passenger side were easy to take off, while I expected a big work out on the driver's side. SInce I've already decided to bend the pipes, it didn't take me too long to take the bracket off. First, I had to bend the pipes apart from each other and then downward towards the ground. Overall, not much.

The only real trouble I had was putting the lubed new bushing on the driver's side, as I wasn't able to slip the uncut portion of the bushing all the way around the rack like stock. After an hour or so, I gave up and went for the easy way, putting the cut portion toward the top of the car. I then put the brackets back on and torqued them to 44.6 ft/lb.

Imression so far is good. I kind of feel that the inital steer is quicker, maybe it is psychological. I feel more connected to the chassis...maybe it is due to the slight increase in vibration? As I'm trying to be objective...

I used the cheap SuperPro one, together with the intallation experience I had, I say it is a MUST DO modification.

I also examined the rubber bushings I took off, it turns out that the passenger side one has started to crack. A port even got ripped apart when i took it off.

Update---

The steering has really improved. The deadzone at the center is gone. The steering is now more direct and precise. The biggest difference is when steering slightly, you feel the car respond right away.

Together with shifter bushing and short shifters, the car is now REALLY pleasurable to drive! I wonder if the trasmission crossmember bushing can further improve the feel...

·
The Modfather
8,053 Posts
Got mine from Kastle's Korner the other day, when it warms up here I'll be doing mine.

·
The Modfather
8,053 Posts
Just did them not too bad, not a cake walk but not too hard other than the accidental finger smashing :rolleyes:. I'll try to work on a page soon. I haven't driven around yet but will add my thoughts to the mix. My bushings were in good shape. Not cracked or anything like that. I did have to pry them off though. They seemed to be stuck in place.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
My install was a piece of cake! It didn't take me ANY time 'cause I let someone else do it. After lying under countless cars over the years for hours at a time I will now gladly pay someone else to do things quickly on a rack! Actually, I think they'll let me use their rack but i'm too lazy.

Oh, and to be honest all i've noticed is a little bit better transitional feel. The stockers looked like new but one sure is thin. I can't imagine why Subaru even bothers putting anything in there. Witness the '06 STi rack.

·
Premium Member
2004 FXT MT Cobb Stage 2
858 Posts
I just installed the Noltec bushings from oakos.com ($26.95 + free shipping). I followed Peaty's write-up and the video that Tre36 posted. The left side was a pain, as others have noted. Like F1 Rox, I installed the driver side bushing with the cut at the top, since I didn't disconnect the steering column linkage. After a short drive on various surfaces, I'm very pleased with the results. The steering is more responsive to slight inputs and I noticed that when you have the wheel turned slightly and let go, it snaps back to the center on its own. Also, we live on a dirt road with pretty bad washboarding. When turning into my driveway across the washboards on the stock bushings, it felt like the front wheels were going to rattle off. With the Noltec bushings, there was no rattle and all you could feel was the suspension doing its job. Definitely a worthwhile upgrade.

BTW - With 35k miles on the stock bushings, they appeared to be in pretty good condition...before I ripped them out anyway.

·
Official sf.org decal guy
2006 FXT
12,367 Posts
After a short drive on various surfaces, I'm very pleased with the results. The steering is more responsive to slight inputs and I noticed that when you have the wheel turned slightly and let go, it snaps back to the center on its own.
This is very good news. I hate it when the steering wheel remains cocked to one side after a turn. I might just have to stop waiting (i've had them since I bought my 02 WRX new = ~5yrs) to put them in :lol:

·
'03 XS MT PSM
2015 Ford Focus ST
2,371 Posts
What Whiteline P/N steering rack bushings fit the Forester? Is it the KSR202 on Peaty's pic??

1 - 20 of 27 Posts