Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, becomming quite a regular on here with my various Forester problems.

Noticed recently that the car is puffing out a LOT of white smoke.

I know the code:

Blue = engine oil
Black = fuel
White = coolant

The smoke smells like coolant as well. The car still seems to drive ok. It varies from a bit of smoke to a big embarassing cloud that fogs the whole road behind the car.

From general mecahnical experience I would blame this on either the turbo leaking coolant into the exhaust or the head gasket leaking water into the cylinders. The oil on the dipstick seems clean. The coolant tank seems empty.

So does anyone know what normally breaks on these cars and would likely cause the white smoke. Also are there any quick diagnostics procedures. Obviously it's not easy to do a compression test or check the turbo because of the bizzare setup on this car although I'd be gladly corrected on that point.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,127 Posts
White smoke + coolant tank empty = Blown HG

·
Ol' Timer
2006 WRX Spec-C 6MT
5,963 Posts
^^Yep. Drain the oil and see if it's milky, that will tell you for sure.
Sad news, sorry buddy.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,786 Posts
If the oil seems clean, maybe it is just your turbo -- much cheaper than the head gasket(s). Not sure what the troubleshooting procedure would be. You saying it puffs clouds also may mean it dumps more coolant in the exhaust as the turbo is boosting more.

Have you ever seen the car overheat even a little? Crossing fingers for you, hoping it's the turbo.

Stan

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Really I wondered if the cars are particlarly known for blowing head gaskets or turbos. I'm pretty sure it will be one or the other. Diagnosis is the problem as the engine is difficult to get to.

·
Ol' Timer
2006 WRX Spec-C 6MT
5,963 Posts
Head gaskets are a common failure, turbos much less to. However, the head gasket problem is more common in the NA engine. Do a quick search for head gaskets and you'll find lots of information.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,786 Posts
I don't think head gaskets go very often on the turbo Foresters, or any '04+ Foresters for that matter. What year is your car and what's the mileage? I can almost bet money your turbo is leaking coolant into the exhaust -- $200 fix if you do the work yourself, no biggie.

Stan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts