Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Forester L Auto
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey first post on here! Sorry it has to be about an issue with my car but here's what's up.

Recently purchased 2.5L 1999 Subaru Forester L with about 195000 from private party. Anyway, engine sounds good and things such as timing belt, spark plugs, and ignition coil have been replaced. However we did noticed oil leak after looking under the car. Check engine and tranny oil, both looked fine and were at proper levels. Noticed coolant level was very low and replenished before driving. CEL and airbag lights were on. Took to Autozone for inspection and came up with a knock sensor code. (May explain hesitation for accelerating at higher speeds) Not concerned about airbag light since carfax has no airbag deployment reported and I've heard it's common for cars near 200k. So went ahead and purchased car.

Driving from Denver up to Vail with no problems, temperature gauge stayed below half way all throughout 2 hour drive. Get home late and notice burning smell. Next day take car out for gas and noticed thin white smoke coming from under the hood after parking, again with that burning smell. I understand HG are definitely a possibility, but I want to hear what you guys have to say first.
Not sure if this helps but mpg was terrible going through mountains, went about 3/4 tank to almost empty! I had a 3.2L Cadillac CTS that averaged 25+ when I did that same route.

Long post, but would greatly appreciate hearing something back!

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,701 Posts
Wellcome fromPa.

Did it use coolant after the last episode? Check the radiator level also. Was there lots of gunk in the overflow bottle? It could be a radiator cap..replace with a genuine subaru. But its very likely head gaskets.

Also when the belts were changed..the idlers, tensioner, and water pump should be changed.

Good luck..welcome from Pa.

·
Registered
1999 Forester L Auto
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Radiator and coolant reservoir both looked fine. Saw this as well(attachments)

I don't know if the pictures are good enough or not but if you have any idea where the leak(s) could be coming from that'd greatly help me. Thanks again!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,701 Posts
90% sure its Head gaskets. But wait for other opinions.

·
Registered
1999 Forester L Auto
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Started trip from Colorado to Indiana. Sure enough, I overheated. Had to pull over about 20+ times...stopped to get a hose tightened in Kansas but that temp fix lasted til Illinois before I put up the white flag. Currently getting repairs. Ill give updates as they come.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts