Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5 Premium
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody own the white? Seems like white would be tough to keep clean, always dirty.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
176 Posts
Anybody own the white? Seems like white would be tough to keep clean, always dirty.
Yes, Professor Dr. SWMBO's Forester (and my Ascent) are both CWP. The opposite is true about dirt...they rarely show the dirt at all, unlike a dark color will. Most "dirt" dries lighter color. This is just one of the reasns I also despise black interiors...I'm constantly having to clean off the light colored dirt from the black panels on the doors, etc. I'll take a nice tan anytime, but unfortunately, that's not possible with Subarus and many other vehicles these days, even when the majority color is lighter.

Reactions: alixk and lionsm13

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
14,789 Posts
White Forester and white crosstrek here.

·
Registered
2016 Forester Limited
57 Posts
White and Silver are the easiest colors to keep clean and both are my favorite.
One or the other works for me

·
Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
2,162 Posts
White and silver are the best colors to keep clean unless you're talking about tar. (Gold, platinum, beige, and that family are good too.) They stay cooler in the sun also. They do look lousy if your car has a big rust problem.

Have you ever looked at cars going down the street or in a parking lot? Black, dark blue, dark gray cars look dirty 15 minutes after they are washed.

As for interiors, black does show dust but I'm a bicyclist and grease from bike chains looks like heck on light carpeting and upholstery, and light colored seats, both cloth and leather, look terrible after 100k miles. I've looked at used vehicles with light beige and gray interiors and many look like they were driven by incontinent hobos...

·
Registered
2005 2.5X 4EAT 2017 2.5i Prem CVT
142 Posts
I had a white '88 Thunderbird in college and our '00 Foz was white. I agree with all the previous comments, but the one down side to white is if you live somewhere where they periodically oil the streets or use fresh asphalt to fill potholes. A bottle of bug and tar remover is a must have.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Limited
60 Posts
I have a white Forester and keeping it clean isn’t so bad, although my previous vehicle was a dark metallic grey and could go months without a wash while still looking pretty good.

·
Registered
2006 Forester
81 Posts
White and silver also reflect more heat and are easier to spot at night, especially white, in the latter case. Agree with all:

Except for tar, white is easily kept clean looking.

Perhaps dirt color [light taupe-tan to grey] will run longer between washes, but they also are less visible to others, dusk to dawn. We own a dirt colored car and a silver one - but have owned white by preference in the past. Black, charcoal, navy blue, forest green - these are the colors that require lots of trips to the car wash and will not look clean at the end of a day of driving.

·
Registered
2015 Forester "Premium", 2.0 NA
68 Posts
Wife has a white 2015/2016 premium. It is actually the opposite of what you would expect. White is MUCH easier to keep looking clean than dark colours. Dark colours show every speck of dust, whereas it has to be extra dirty for the white to look dirty.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
116 Posts
White, Silver, and Grey show the least dirt.

Dark cars (e.g., jet black) need near-daily washing and waxing to stay clean and free from scratches/swirl marks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a “jasmine green” and it doesn’t show less dirt. But the biggest problem with Subarus is the inferior paint they use. Whatever the color, expect scratches.

·
Registered
2017 FXT CVT
57 Posts
As several other members have suggested, I don't think the color has much to do with how dirty the car actually gets. I do like the notion of matching your car color to the color of the dirt you anticipate encountering.

I've had two white Subaru's, a white BMW, a silver Subaru, a silver truck, a blue Mini convertible, a red coupe. The blue mini was the worst (or so it seemed - white rims and could not find pads that shed white brake dust!). Seems as I'm aging all my cars are trending white. You'd think it would be the opposite as my eyesight probably isn't what it used to be.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts