Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester 4-Speed Automatic
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alas, since it seems I must bid adieu to my beloved '06 Premium Forester, I find myself looking for a new car -- and in a major quandary.

I can't see out of the far back driver side window in the 2014 Forester to check my blind spot. Since I know from a experience that a 4-door truck can hide in a blind spot even with good mirrors, that seems to axe the 2014 Forester completely from the list. Heck, I think Foresters after the 2009 redesign all look weird -- I loved my "toaster on wheels", but it seems VERY difficult to find Foresters of that generation (yes, I have checked Autotrader.com, cars.com, etc), especially ones that don't have insane numbers of miles on them.

To the meat of the current matter, my '06 Forester, apparently like all of its generation, generated a loud "whistling" sound from the windshield when going about 55+mph. I eventually concluded this was acting as a natural "deer horn", since I have spent insane amounts of time driving deer/elk/moose heaven and hardly ever SEE them, much less have them jump in front of me. I certainly never hit one, despite years of opportunities at high speeds in the backwoods. It is co conspicuous I have decided I think that otherwise-irksome sounds constitutes a safety feature.

Do 2009-2013 Foresters make that noise? Does anyone know if Outbacks from 2006-2014 also make that noise?

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,723 Posts
I hope you are not selling it because of that noise.
Seriously, a $5 tube of silicon is a permanent fix.
And you will have 95% of the tube left over.
:Banane35:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I have not made myself clear -- I DO NOT want to get rid of that noise -- I want to have it (weird, I know).

My '06 was in an accident and insurance is totaling it. I am looking to get a used Forester (or maybe a new Outback) -- and I WANT it to have the noise, if possible. I am trying to find out if anyone knows specifically if other generations of Forester and/or Outback make that noise. I think it makes the car safer in deer country.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5 XPremium 4EAT
863 Posts
Some dealers will actually tune the windshield to a chosen pitch for you.

You have to provide your own tuning fork though.

Some owners will actually drive alongside other foresters on the road in an attempt to play a song together.

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,723 Posts
Haha- that was unexpected :biggrin:
awesome!!

We have an SG because the wagon look is what we were after, and seeing out of windows with no huge blindspots was important to my wife.

I would keep looking for an SG if that is what you want, look at the local Subaru dealers and check around CL, it might be with the trip to the next town over to get the right one..

I've found autotrader and sites like cars.com are only good at showing dealer ads anyways..

·
Premium Member
2014 2.0XT Limited CVT
416 Posts
I can't see out of the far back driver side window in the 2014 Forester to check my blind spot. Since I know from a experience that a 4-door truck can hide in a blind spot even with good mirrors, that seems to axe the 2014 Forester completely from the list.
I have no problems with blind spots in the '14. Maybe you didn't have your mirrors set up properly. Try this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tDI4ThwdXg

·
Registered
2006 XC Automatic
35 Posts
completely agree that the SG 2005 - 2008 is the best looking Forester to date :Banane35:

all thou the new 2014 is growing on me but still

also i think the whistling noise is with all frame less scoobies? ;)

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT
143 Posts
With the mirrors adjusted properly, there will not be blind spots big enough for another vehicle to hide in. Most people do not have their mirrors adjusted properly.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
175 Posts
I have whistling coming from my air recirculation gate under the dashboard... and I have a brand new '14. Took it to two dealers and they brushed me off.

Try turning your air recirculation button off and on while driving at 55mph+ and see what happens... if like mine, it will whistle with recirculation ON.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is a whistle that comes from the windshield - it is, I believe, a very well-known phenomenon in the 2nd generation of Foresters. I actually think it is a great thing, and would prefer every car to have it -- hence my questions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts