Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2009 BMW 135i
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

First off I'd like to say hi as your newest vendor on SubaruForester.org . Many of you that have been around the Subaru community for a while most likey already know us as a house hold name. We've been active in the Subaru performance arena since 2003 and have been on most of the popular Subaru forums since then as well. You can probably name on one hand the number of Subaru specific(or main focus) vendors that have been in the community for that long.

Daddy's SCP is a general reseller of a select few brands of products: Stromung, Hayward & Scott(origonal ScoobySport exhaust fabricators), Bosal(who makes the Subaru SPT exhausts), Borla, RacingBrake, and of course MadDad which is a house brand started back in 2004. Exhausts is our primary focus and performance gauges is the other.

More important to the FXT community is the Whisper Series catback made specific for your FXT(up to 2008). This isn't a rehashed WRX catback as most of the few offerings are. The cheap way out for a manufacturer is to take a WRX catback, put longer hagners on it(and flip the orientation of one of them), and "maybe" change the tip so it aligns with the bumper better. That's not how we manufacture exhaust for our MadDad brand. Details are maintained for every vehicle. For instance. Our FXT catback while similiar in overall design to our WRX/STi catback, uses a FXT specific canister. We made a one-off canister design for the FXT that is longer than our WRX canister. This gives us more baffle area to mitigate the drone you can get in the SUV body style. The canister is the most important part of the catback and we don't do any "generic" canisters in any of our exhausts. Our canisters are all hade made and hand packed with an imported German engineered fiber. This is exotic stuff as far as exhaust packing is concerned, exotic enough that there is a patent on it. This fiber in conjuction with a FXT specific canister and purpose built internal baffle all contribute to eliminating the drone that many exhausts can exhibit, and it's one of the things the Whisper series has become famous for. Whisper exhausts will sound the same 2 months or 2 years from when it is installed. All of this without the need of a big resonator in the intermediate pipe. The exhaust is engineered right to begin with and there are no need of band-aid resonators with Whisper series exhausts. It's a testament to the engineering that has gone into them. So there is the sales pitch :) , but honestly it's important to understand and have some background on what makes these systems unique because to just look at the outside it looks like every other quality exhaust..but inside it's something much more special.

The catback is offered with one of two different intermediate pipes. A 3" intermediate pipe with a 2.5" donut flange connector..this would be like the old Cobb style catbacks and this is the intermediate you would want if mating to a Cobb DP or any other downpipe that uses the 2.5" donut gasket(like the factory downpipe). The other intermediate pipe option is the one with the standard 3" flange that mates to downpipe that uses a standard 3" mating flange with a thin crush gasket. This intermediate has a flex joint in it because the elimination of the factory donut gasket from these style downpipes removes the stress relief the donut gasket offers. The flex section gives back that stress relief. Bottom line is full turbobacks(downpipe + catback) move/shift quite a bit under engine load. We know this, and offer our catback two different intermediate pipes to ensure the long term reliability of not only you catback but the rest of the system as well. If you remove all of the stress relieve and don't give it back, all of that load movement causes pipes to bend or crack over time. Again this is another little detail we consider in our catbacks. So how do you order:

Here is the direct link to order. As of right now we have 5 instock(3 OEM flange, 2 with 3" flange with flex..read on):
MadDad Whisper FXT Catback

We're often asked if there are any forum discounts on the catback. Unfortunately there is not. The fact that these are hand build in the U.S. full T304SS including the flanges and hagners, hand TIG welds(vs lower cost MIGs), the fact that we use an imported German exhaust fiber(much more expensive than conventional packing used almost universally elsewhere), and the fact that we produce this product in a low product count with a purpose built canister specific to the FXT(so no economies of scale) all mean this is a low margin part for us despite that fact it maybe more money than some offerings. Although still probably less than some of the JDM imports.

Our V2 Cattted Divorced Wastegate downpipe and Essential Series catless and catted downpipes of course both work with your FXT(upto 2008) and we can offer a $30 discount off the V2, and a $50 discount off the catted bellmouth if ordering with the catback. If you have questions about the product shoot them to the forum so answers can be shared with everyone, if you have other questions more specific to your situation the PM box is now officially open.

Most recently Mr. Cannonshooter :) did a little write up on his recent purchases along with some photos. Here is the thread if you want to take a look.

Maddad Exhaust Products - Subaru Forester Owners Forum

R.

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
Dang I wish you guys made something for NA Foresters but we're such a dead market so I understand.. :(

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 4EAT
2,185 Posts
I've got a whisper catback, it's a darn nice exhaust! but the canister bangs against my trailer hitch : (

·
Registered
2009 BMW 135i
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've got a whisper catback, it's a darn nice exhaust! but the canister bangs against my trailer hitch : (
Let me know what trailor hitch you have so I can make sure I share it. I've got some guys with 3" Whispers on the wagons with hitches and plenty of clearence but if I recall it's its' with a 3rd part hitch not the factory.

R.

·
Registered
04 SOLD!
943 Posts
Rich,

I'm running the Catted DP with heatshield and the FXT Whisper on my 04...looks good, sounds good..

Just passed NJ visual inspection with no issues.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT
658 Posts
Just installed my Maddad system, and I'm very impressed - this exhaust takes all the raspiness out, leaving a nice low 'grumble'!

S

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT
824 Posts
I have bought a ton of my stuff from these guys. They are great!!

Glad they are officially here to help us grocery getters.

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT Limited
1,956 Posts
Rich,

I'm running the Catted DP with heatshield and the FXT Whisper on my 04...looks good, sounds good..

Just passed NJ visual inspection with no issues.
So.. That is the catted DP, correct me if I am wrong, but one still needs the mid pipe and the cat back, right?

·
Registered
2009 BMW 135i
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So.. That is the catted DP, correct me if I am wrong, but one still needs the mid pipe and the cat back, right?
The factory downpipe is made up of two-piece. It's not totally obvious from the pic of the factory downpipe above because the big heatshield is wrapped around the whole thing. The factory catback is made up of two pieces. The downpipe pictured replaces both pieces of the factory downpipe so this downpipe is often referred to as a "full length" downpipe as opposed to a "shorty" style, like a Stromung which just replaces the first pipe. So, if you use a full length downpipe the only other thing you need is the catback. So a full length downpipe + a catback = a full Turboback...which is every exhaust piece that comes after the turbo running all the way back to your exhaust tip.

As an fyi, the downpipe pictured is the Essentials catted bellmouth. There is a small metal substrate cat in the lower section, but we then wrap that metal substrate cat with a heatshield from a conventional cat to make it look a little more like a standard cat from a visual point of view. The small metal substrate cats used in some downpipes(like ours) are often confused as being resonators and not cats..so for that reason we wrap the regular headshield around it.

R.

·
Registered
2009 BMW 135i
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so, around 1200 for the dp and catback?
Ouch! But I hear MadDad are great products.. ouch
Sometimes the lowest cost exhaust in the end isn't the cheapest one up front. About 35-40% of the Whisper catbacks we sell to the WRX and STi owners are replacing a system the customer bought 6 to 12 months prior. I often say the lowest cost exhaust is the one you buy once and don't have to replace later because you become tired of the sound. Many systems do sound quite different 12 months later. The reason we use an imported German exhaust packing is because its a synthetic fiber designed from scratch for exhaust applications so that it maintains its structure years beyond what is typical in the industry. That, plus made in the U.S, plus small production equals a few $$ more than some. Our catback is about the same price as the Cobb catback was and our bellmouth downpipes cost a bit less, just to put the prices in perspective. If another product is built in China or a number of other places there are huge cost savings, but long term quality..in particular in the sound quality is always a huge question mark.

R.

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT Limited
1,956 Posts
Sometimes the lowest cost exhaust in the end isn't the cheapest one up front. About 35-40% of the Whisper catbacks we sell to the WRX and STi owners are replacing a system the customer bought 6 to 12 months prior. I often say the lowest cost exhaust is the one you buy once and don't have to replace later because you become tired of the sound. Many systems do sound quite different 12 months later. The reason we use an imported German exhaust packing is because its a synthetic fiber designed from scratch for exhaust applications so that it maintains its structure years beyond what is typical in the industry. That, plus made in the U.S, plus small production equals a few $$ more than some. Our catback is about the same price as the Cobb catback was and our bellmouth downpipes cost a bit less, just to put the prices in perspective. If another product is built in China or a number of other places there are huge cost savings, but long term quality..in particular in the sound quality is always a huge question mark.

R.
I got ya.... Like I said I have heard MANY good things of MadDad on here and from other that aren't. I would definitely consider a MadDad exhaust. I just need to save some sheckles....
:)

·
Premium Member
2007 Forester XT 4EAT-VTD
2,145 Posts
Rich, good to see you with vendor status here!

As I stated in my review, the Maddad cat-back is an awesome exhaust, as is the bellmouth DP. Everything bolts up right with no leaks and the sound is awesome.

I had a Drawtite hitch that the MadDad exhaust tip was hitting. I had 2 choices - longer hangers or remove the hitch. Since the muffler section sat perfectly with the stock hangers and I no longer used the hitch, I opted for option 2. I think the KB hangers would have solved the problem as well.

I also did a turbo swap and tune at the same time. So I went from 100% stock with a STi axleback to the Maddad exhaust, VF48, STi TMIC, Grimmspeed PnP exhaust manifolds, Walbro and pro tune in one leap. My FXT was certainly "transformed" in a very good way!

I have a video review of the MaDad Whisper in the works and will post it here upon completion.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 4EAT
2,185 Posts
It's a drawtite hitch, it didn't even clear the OEM sti canister, the thing is real beefy compared to the OEM hitch.

Also it barely clears when the car is cold, but as soon as the car really heats up and the flex joint heats up and expands it bangs, rattles, or just plain drones depending on what kinda day it is.

·
Registered
2009 BMW 135i
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's a drawtite hitch, it didn't even clear the OEM sti canister, the thing is real beefy compared to the OEM hitch.

Also it barely clears when the car is cold, but as soon as the car really heats up and the flex joint heats up and expands it bangs, rattles, or just plain drones depending on what kinda day it is.
If that hitch didn't even clear the OEM exhaust it's a tough situation. Did you try long langers? I should put out a poll to see which hitch(es) are the most popular and see if there was somethign we could do in a future rev to mitigate the issues.

R.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 4EAT
2,185 Posts
If that hitch didn't even clear the OEM exhaust it's a tough situation. Did you try long langers? I should put out a poll to see which hitch(es) are the most popular and see if there was somethign we could do in a future rev to mitigate the issues.

R.
Actually shorter hangers would be better, cause i've got the long hangers on there now since the tip didn't clear with the factory hangers, and the angle of the canister with the long hangers causes the top of the can to bang the hitch. But really the short or long don't help cause each have a different problem.

It's hard to explain but with the short hangers the exhaust sits level, but with the long ones it's on a bit of a downward angle causing the top of the can to sit closer to the hitch.

·
Registered
2009 BMW 135i
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Whisper Catback clears OEM hitch

Just as a general reference for everyone. The Whisper Catback does clear with the OEM hitch. It's safe to say if you have a 3rd part hitch that will not clear the factory catback it won't clear with the Whispers eaither :), but just FYI it does indeed clear the factory hitch.

Still got a couple in stock ready to ship.

R.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts