Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've found that in most instances where I'm driving at moderate speeds and let off the gas to coast (for example, 50mph down a slight hill) the car makes a noticeable whirring noise. The closest noise that I can think of is the noise a jet engine makes when you're inside the cabin and you're on the landing approach the engines come down to idle.

This happens mostly in the higher gears at moderate-and-above speeds.

If I'm coasting down the hill and the noise occurs I can ever so lightly apply some throttle (not enough to really accelerate) and it goes away.

So, what's this noise I'm hearing and should I be concerned?

·
Sydney Dinner Organiser
MY05 XT luxury
1,694 Posts
Diff whine?

Thats often very dependant on throttle and should be noticable as from under the car rather than from the front/engine.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,456 Posts
Yep, sounds like the infamous rear diff whine (or possibly a bad wheel bearing, but that's less likely, and produces more of a howl).

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is this something I need to have looked at? The car only has 1263 miles on it (and I just came from the dealer for my oil change...)

·
Premium Member
2004 FXT MT Cobb Stage 2
858 Posts
My driveline has a whine when coasting in gear at highway speeds, but only when it's pretty cold out. It wasn't doing it today...the temp was in the upper 40s-low 50s.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Its hard to tell if its the same sound as I had. Mine sounded like a branch was dragging under the car when coasting (no accelerator).

Ended up having the bearings in the transfer case replaced, and it 90% solved the problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts