Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I just purchased an '04 FXT with a 5spd mt and 28k miles on it. I have noticed that there is a high pitched, but somewhat muffled, sound when I'm going over 50 MPH. The sound increases in intensity and changes pitch with acceleration. This is a different sound that the "reed" sound that others have reported as an issue with the seal around the wind screen.

Additionally the sound is independent of the engine / transmission speed. It is constant even when the clutch is pushed in and the RPM drops. I am thinking that it might be either a rotational sound from the wheels or somthing to do with the top mount intake?

does anyone else have any ideas?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Has anyone had problems with noise from the Yokohama Geolander tires? I'm wondering if this noise is from the tires?

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
5,484 Posts
Try swapping your differential fluids, see if that helps! Might be your rear diff making noise.

·
Registered
125 Posts
My guess is if it changes with pavement textures, it's tires. If it's constant at specific speed and seems to be directed on one side or the other, it's wheel bearings. I've replaced both rears right around 50K on a 06.

Motoretro

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the thoughts. The sound does not seem to come from either side but more from the front middle. It's faint and almost sounds electronic. I've heard from some other people to try and move my roof racks since they can be a source of strange noises. I figure that's a quick and easy thing to try. I'll also check the diff fluid. I've only had the car for 2 weeks now and I'm wondering if it might just be a natural sound for the car?

·
Registered
98 forester
26 Posts
Did anything come out of this research? I have the same problem with a 98 s. Its been happening ever since we got it, it now has 215k miles and still makes this very noise coming from the back left or right it seems, like whirring noise constant. It also randomly goes away and is never present until the car is good and warmed up to the highway drive so to speak.

·
Registered
2004 Forrester
8 Posts
I've got an 04 Forester XT. I noticed a whine awhile back but as you, I thought it was from the new tires I just purchased. But, whine has turned into sore of a muffled roar. Kind of like "mud tires". I changed rear diff. oil, but no change. I'm thinking rear wheel bearing as mine seems to be coming from the right side.

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
i test drove an '04 FXT before I bought my '04X (better color, lower miles).

i noticed the FXT had a little whine from center as you mention. a number of people have reported diff noise that does not necessarily mean it is going to go out. it was noticeably louder when going downhill and letting off gas.

i changed diff oil in my X with standard 80W90 and got more noise. went back and used Mobil 1 75W90 LS and added 1/2 tube of K&W additive as well for good measure (even though diff is not LS). most noise went away, definitely the "whine". unfortunately, not long until a "rumble" and a little "crunchy" when first taking off and time for wheel bearings.

·
Registered
2008 Forester
44 Posts
Wheel bearings was the first thing that came to my mind, but it really could be any number of the things listed already.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rear Diff

So I just got my car checked out and the Dealer says the noise is coming from the rear diff and that a bearing and a few gears need to be replaced... grand total of $1,311. Now i have to fight with the non Subaru dealer I bought this from to get them to honor the warranty they gave me and pay for the repair. If they don't honor the warranty is it worth upgrading the rear diff?

Thoughts?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts