Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Throughout last fall and this winter I have had an increasingly louder (almost whirring) whining noise (still relatively faint) that is there from the transmission when driving along both in and out of gear, both when clutch is in or out, that does not change with rpm in any particular gear, but only with the final drive speed (mph). I did a lot of searching on this online and it seems most consistent with a Circ-clip failure on the center diff or bearing going out in the center diff.

I didn't address it right away because I thought it was just due to the cold South Dakota weather causing my fluid to be cold causing gear whine, but now I am thinking different.

Any other thoughts? It really sounds more like a bearing than gear whine, so I don't think it's the ring/pinion.

Thanks,

Paul

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump.. in a 04 FXT manual with 65K on the clock. I have been reading about center diff/transfer gear issues and transfer case bearing issues and I think that is what it is.. Any thoughts/advice?

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Limited 4EAT
386 Posts
whining

Hi,
I read your post and thought I would share a similar story.

on my 2009 fozzie X limited AT, after about 10k miles, I began hearing a whining noise coming from what I though might be the fuel pump. My "check engine" light did not come on and the engine seemed to be firing just fine. However, the whining got progressively worse over the course of a few months. I didn't hear any whining/whirring during hard acceleration or idling, only during steady acceleration or while cruising at any speed and/or maintaining steady RPMs.

Luckily, the car was under warranty. So, I took it in and took a ride with one of the service techs. He quickly noted that the problem (whining) seemed to be coming from the transmission. Later, he confirmed that the slip differential had shown signs of stress and it had to be replaced. This was causing the whining.

I realize the transmission on the AT and MT are vastly different. However, if your MT center differential was toast, you'd more likely get clunking and banging rather than a whining noise. And, if the center differential is toast, I believe you'll have to replace the whole transmission. There is a great post in this forum about phase 1 and phase 2 MT locking center differentials and what to do if you think it's slowly frying.

I'm not sure I'm helping, but I just thought I would let you know that my whining/whirring was coming from the transmission's slip differential.

I don't quite have 15 posts on this forum, else I would post the link telling all about the MT center differential. I'm sure if you look up "center diff" you'll find it right away.

Sorry to hear about your whining (on the car that is):tissue:

Best of luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts