Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT automatic
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got 2 weeks off on this holiday break. I have 97K miles on my 06 XT. So, time for a timing belt.

My struts complain wildly creaking like crazy. I got beat - just barely - by a 335i the other day with my wife and child in the car, but that shouldn't happen should it?

So, while I'm in there with a timing belt change, what else should I do?

I have maybe $900 to spend (it's Christmas time remember) and the timing belt kit eats up most of that. But while I'm in there, is there something else I can do to prep for mods later on.

I'm a California car so Mods are extremely limited. I know to that I need to address the suspension wear and tear.

Happy Holidays :Banane29:

·
Registered
04 Forester XT
145 Posts
Just do the right stuff. Not just the timing belt, but the water pump, the tensioner, and pulley. Make sure you don't use the gates water pump gasket, get the OEM Subaru one.

Because you will half the front off, does 06 have a catted uppipe? if so, replace that turkey! It won't mean more power, but it will mean faster spool-up. Consider putting a SAI on it, again won't give you a huge jump in net HP but every bit helps. Past that, you would need to look into a downpipe and a tune (cobb ots) before you are going to see significant gains.

OH, does 06 have banjo bolt filters? if so, yank them.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,432 Posts
No catted uppipe on the '06. It does have the troublesome secondary air system, but if it's not throwing any codes yet I'd leave it alone.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Overbear. I'm a dummy here :icon_redface: what's a SAI?

Banjo bolt filters? What do I change them with? I mean, is there an actual filter inside the banjo bolt? Yikes.

I'm getting the kit from Subiegirl (I know I screwed the name) so everything OEM, and I've performed timing belt changes on many cars, Porsches and Audi's to Toyota's and Mitsu's so theoretically, I shouldn't botch this up. :icon_confused:

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,432 Posts
No banjo bolt screens on the '06 either, so no worries... and I'm sure he meant CAI (cold air intake) - which doesn't really do anything to enhance performance without being tuned for it. Keep the stock airbox, pull the resonator out of the fender if you want more intake noise - that way you'll get no hassles at smog time.

·
Registered
2001 Forester 4EAT
842 Posts
A bit nit picky, but "while you're in there".... :)
I'd probably do spark plugs as well. I guess they're not that much easier to get to during the T-belt, but a little.
I also like to replace radiator hoses if I'm pulling the radiator and they're original. All that wrenching on them when pulling the radiator can make them prone to cracking and possibly leaving you stranded, they're cheap insurance.

To add a smidge of performance, I'd do a K&N panel filter (remove the snorkel) & throw on a lightweight crank pulley (since you have to pull the old one anyways). But with an Automatic you'll probably either have to do the "starter trick" or buy the special tool to remove the old one.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2002 ES300
4,412 Posts
A bit nit picky, but "while you're in there".... :)
I'd probably do spark plugs as well. I guess they're not that much easier to get to during the T-belt, but a little.
I also like to replace radiator hoses if I'm pulling the radiator and they're original. All that wrenching on them when pulling the radiator can make them prone to cracking and possibly leaving you stranded, they're cheap insurance.

To add a smidge of performance, I'd do a K&N panel filter (remove the snorkel) & throw on a lightweight crank pulley (since you have to pull the old one anyways). But with an Automatic you'll probably either have to do the "starter trick" or buy the special tool to remove the old one.

Cheers!
This.

·
Registered
2011 SH S-Edition 5EAT
202 Posts
Do the plugs maybe; get a dry-panel filter like Cosworth instead of the K&N Oil ones, IMO; easier to maintain...

As for just getting beaten by a 335i; well, if you're basically stock, you should basically be hammered by a 335i. The FXT is about 225hp (crank) while the 335i is at least 275hp...so don't be worried by just getting beat by one

·
Registered
04 Forester XT
145 Posts
and I'm sure he meant CAI (cold air intake)
SAI = Short air intake or "short ram" such as the SPT, COBB, and the K&N. Of them the best is the AEM unit that uses a no oil filter and fits nicely in our foresters.

Someone else suggested the K&N panel filter. I can not stress this is a very bad idea. As of the current K&N line, they still use a oiled filter (last I checked) this is death for your MAF. Also the Perrin unit is crap, it falls apart after a year or so, personal experience, so I would stay away from it too.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Excellent idea's thanks all. I used to run K & N's but I was always cleaning my MAF's so I abandoned that product long ago.

Cold Air intake = yes
Plugs = Yes
Radiator hoses = Yes
Fan pulley = I need to buy a special tool?
Cosworth filter = Yes

I'm a bit worried about the refill of the radiator in these motors. I've heard stories...

·
Registered
04 Forester XT
145 Posts
Excellent idea's thanks all. I used to run K & N's but I was always cleaning my MAF's so I abandoned that product long ago.

Cold Air intake = yes
Plugs = Yes
Radiator hoses = Yes
Fan pulley = I need to buy a special tool?
Cosworth filter = Yes

I'm a bit worried about the refill of the radiator in these motors. I've heard stories...
Make sure you use OEM fluids, and

Buy Lisle Spill Free Funnel LIS24610 at Advance Auto Parts

is worth its weight in gold. Fill your tank up, then fill the funnel up about 1/4, start the car, let it run tell you don't see bubbles anymore, DONE, system is burped.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts