Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
2013 2.5x auto
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at getting a two rope to have in my forester. Any recommendations on lbs load? Also there is a kind of rope/strap that has an elastic tarter to it. Any one know what materiel that is? Nylon maybe?

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT 8 speed
113 Posts
My rule of thumb, get something that is rated for at least twice as much as your vehicle weight.

you can never have too much # rating, only to little. And bad things happen when it is to small.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
15,117 Posts
My rule of thumb, get something that is rated for at least twice as much as your vehicle weight.

you can never have too much # rating, only to little. And bad things happen when it is to small.
One other rule of thumb use the tow rope for being pulled out and not vice versa. :rock:

·
Registered
2015 Forester I-Premium 6MT
2,362 Posts
with tow straps make sure its the loop kind not the hook kind.
Something with a 4000lb+ or so "working load" is quite adequate
usually those will be advertised as 20000lb strap or similar.

you should also decide if you want a "tow strap" or a recovery strap.

one will stretch a few inches at most the other will stretch quite abit more for rubber band effect.

many listed as recovery strap are really not..

basic good tow strap
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/smt-cc220/overview/

keep in mind if you get a 3" or 4" wide one they are much harder to handle than a 2"
and if you need one that big you will be ripping off car parts.

premium model "recovery strap"
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rgg-1510402/overview/

nylon is usually the stretchier type. Poly web is not very stretchy.

Where would you be towing from a trailer hitch? get a couple "D" shackles also.

similar to
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Winches-...h.aspx?t_c=18&t_s=124&t_pt=6073&t_pn=S/B13046

The reason you dont want hook end straps are because if it comes off it just got launched by the world's largest rubber band with lethal force.

·
Registered
2000 Forester S AT
972 Posts

·
Registered
2008 X 5MT
459 Posts
A tow strap is, well, to tow.

A recovery strap/snatch strap is, well, to pull a car stuck somewhere.

Make sure you buy the right strap.

·
Registered
2013 forester 2.5X automatic
808 Posts
Better to use a recovery strap, they are made to stretch a bit, get one with loops at the ends not hooks, the hooks can become lethal projectiles if they break loose. I carry a 2" X 30ft. Polyester recovery strap rated at 18,000lbs capacity, use shackles with screw pins to attach the strap.

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i 6 spd
433 Posts
I've never been a fan of the 'snatch strap'. This is one of the stretchy straps. The theory being that the pulling vehicle starts in very slow motion with slack in the strap and the stretch allows the stress of the load to be gradually applied. The practice is generally the pulling vehicle floors it and hits the end of the strap with considerable force, 'snatching' the vehicle from where it's stuck. I've seen entirely too much stuff broken this way. BTW, the whipping loose end can also break stuff, including people. The stetch can be frustrating if you're trying to use a come along to exit your stuck situation. Just about the time you run out of stretch, you have all the come along cable reeled in.

I'd vote for a non stretch type of load sling with loops at the ends at least equal to the weight involved. You can always double it up. You'll also need one or two shackle/clevis items to fasten the sling to whatever you're attaching it to.

Besides a 6 foot strap I have a 30 foot poly rope I bought maybe 15 years ago with a 12,500 lb load rating. At the time I think it cost around $1.20/ft. Got it from a yachting supply (Defender). It has a bit of stretch, not excessive and has been used to pull a lot of cars, tractors and equipment out of stuff and/or onto trailers.

Besides the factory attachment point, you may be able to use the tie down anchor points at the front. Be sure you have shackles/whatever to fit these, they'll also work on the factory eyebolt.

·
Registered
2000 Forester S AT
972 Posts
^^ Yeah, I wouldn't snatch a Subaru or anything without a sturdy frame. There was one guy on here last year that pulled his rear strut tower apart and totaled his SF last year trying to yank his Forester out of a drift. :icon_sad:

Slow pull or get a tow truck.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
15,117 Posts
^^ Yeah, I wouldn't snatch a Subaru or anything without a sturdy frame. There was one guy on here last year that pulled his rear strut tower apart and totaled his SF last year trying to yank his Forester out of a drift. :icon_sad:

Slow pull or get a tow truck.
That's the main reason to be the "pullee" vs the "puller" except when you are only using a minimum amount of force pulling out a smaller vehicles. Its easy to get carried away proving how robust your Subaru is.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts