Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search but didn't see much on tires. Am I looking in the wrong forum withing this Board?

Anyway, the Geomeanders are not very good at all and I'm trying to see which tires to buy next. I think some nice all-seasons will be good- no more winter tires or two sets of wheels for me- tired of all that for now.

What are you guys using that works well in most, if not all conditions? Thanks for the help.....Neil

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,681 Posts
The forum is still kind of young, so we haven't accumulated too many tire posts yet. We will.

You could get as many different answers as there are people here, and maybe more. There are even some people who love their Geos.

The best starting place is www.tirerack.com . They rate tires on a number of different factors. When you find some with ratings that appeal to you, your driving style, your pocketbook, then check the buyer comments to see if there are any from Forester owners that might be especially useful.

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,319 Posts
Neil, I bought Kuhmo Solus (Kuhmo replacements for Ecsta's I had on MY02 Forester). With 8K on them, and only 2 snow storms here in NJ, I can say they are every bit as good handling and traction as the Ecsta's were. Far better than the Geo's or the Yoko Avid H4's I had on that 02 Forester also. And when I bought them back in October from Tire rack, they were $52 each for 215/60/16.

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
What year is your X? If the stock wheel for your year X is 16" x 6.5", you will be good with 215/60/16 or 225/60/16s. There are many tires to choose from. Tirerack has pretty good test/survey results for each tire it sells...and as you know, any tire is better than the Geos.;)

·
Registered
2006 Forester
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is a 2006 model so it's good to know that I can go with a slightly larger tire. I may just do that when replacing these GeoMeanderers:p

·
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
Flyer said:
It is a 2006 model so it's good to know that I can go with a slightly larger tire. I may just do that when replacing these GeoMeanderers:p
Yeah, I went w/ 225/60/16s on my stock FXT rims and 60% of 225 is > 60% of 215 ;) ...so it rides pretty nice and fills the wheel well better...looks more beefy.

·
Registered
2006 Forester
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So with these wider tires, do you have any wheel rub at full turn when backing up or anything like that?

I went up to 245/75/16s on my Pathy and had slight rub when backing up and turning the wheel all the way. It went away as the tires wore down- no issues but it scared the heck out of me the first time.

·
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
Flyer said:
That's great to hear. Well, at least now I know what size to get:D
Also, note that I have an '04 FXT...not sure if they changed the wheel well dimensions for the '06...I wouldn't think they would.

Anybody w/ an '06 running 225/60/16s on the stock wheels?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts