Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The poor brake pedal feel on my '06 5MT 2.5X has been a constant source of irritation to me. It seems there is a growing consensus that this can be corrected by replacing the brake booster and master cylinder with the units from the STI. Can anyone one tell me which year STI units will fit in my '06?

I plan to buy new parts and will report the results to this forum. Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
27 car gear
846 Posts
It will be cheaper, and may give you what you want, with a master cylinder brace.

Turn in Concepts has a great unit that beats hands down the others on the market. Although quite a few folks have Cusco's here.

The benefits are it's cheaper, installs faster, and frankly you'll want it regardless of the MC you have installed.

·
Official sf.org decal guy
2006 FXT
12,516 Posts
What brakes are you running? Do you have SS lines? Have you adjusted the brake pedal? I have an 07 STi MC on my 06. You can use the MC from an 02-05 WRX MT or the MC from an 04-07 STi (maybe 08+ but i'm not sure). You want one that is engraved with a 1 1/16 on the front/underside of the MC.

I am not sure about the boosters since I did not do one. I am very happy with the way my brakes feel but then again I am runing full Brembos with SS lines.

I also have a Perrin MC brace. You will notice ZERO improvement in feel in all situations EXCEPT hard fast emergency braking. But in that situation it is quite noticeable IMHO

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
What brakes are you running? Do you have SS lines? Have you adjusted the brake pedal? I have an 07 STi MC on my 06. You can use the MC from an 02-05 WRX MT or the MC from an 04-07 STi (maybe 08+ but i'm not sure). You want one that is engraved with a 1 1/16 on the front/underside of the MC.

I am not sure about the boosters since I did not do one. I am very happy with the way my brakes feel but then again I am runing full Brembos with SS lines.

I also have a Perrin MC brace. You will notice ZERO improvement in feel in all situations EXCEPT hard fast emergency braking. But in that situation it is quite noticeable IMHO
Thanks for the input! I am using the stock brakes. I have looked at the pedal adjustment and there is the appropriate amount of freeplay. I'm using ATE Blue fluid and have bled the brakes quite a few times.

My problem is with the initial pedal feel. It is soft. This makes it difficult to heel-and-toe using different levels of pedal force because the position of the brake pedal (with respect to the accelerator pedal) changes with braking force. The soft brake pedal also degrades the driving experience - not as much fun as it could be.

The brake pedal also seems to rise a little with pumping. This is a classic symptom of air in the brake hydraulic system, but I have bled the brakes multiple times since I bought it (new). Other Subaru people that I have spoken with (plus the techs from the dealership that I bought the car at) have said that the poor brake feel is typical and "something you have to live with".

My experience with steel braided teflon flexible brake lines on my other cars (Evo track car, S2000 summer car) is that they make minimal difference unless there is a problem with the OEM lines. My Forester has been doing this since day 1.

I agree 100% about the MC brace. Typically these are JDM bling unless there is a firewall design problem with the car. I don't think that is the problem with the Forester.

I can see that a larger diameter MC will reduce the amount pedal movement for a given amount of hydraulic line pressure at the calipers. Of course, that will mean that you have to push a bit harder on the pedal to get that line pressure. That will help, but I am really hoping that the booster is the real problem.

·
Registered
27 car gear
846 Posts
On my FXT, the MC brace from TIC is noticeable on normal driving... Pedal stiffness has increased by a couple of lbs.

SS lines, I feel are not noticeable.

The MC itself, I have an 04 STi one. The Brace was more dramatic to me, and installed in 15 minutes with a single 10mm ratcheting wrench ;)

On a side note, I think the Perrin is the worst of the MC braces IMO.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On my FXT, the MC brace from TIC is noticeable on normal driving... Pedal stiffness has increased by a couple of lbs.

SS lines, I feel are not noticeable.

The MC itself, I have an 04 STi one. The Brace was more dramatic to me, and installed in 15 minutes with a single 10mm ratcheting wrench ;)

On a side note, I think the Perrin is the worst of the MC braces IMO.
Thanks! I appreciate your comments. Maybe you have the better brake booster on your FXT (mine is a base X), so small changes make more of a difference.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts