Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT Automatic
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been searching a lot here and other places on the internet but can’t find the answer...

I have an 05 XT that I use as my work rig. I put a ton of highway miles on to get to project sites then do a lot of off road work once I’m there. Think two tracks, right of ways, road side, oil patch sites...

I have 170k on the foz and run 215/70R16 Cooper tires right now and the rear sags with no load. When I head out on the road I have anywhere from an additional 300-500lbs in he rear. I’m planning to change out the struts and strut mounts out but where my dilemma comes in is choosing between the following two options.

1- Going with standard king springs and a 2” lift / trailing arm spacer kit. Not sure if I’d need any addition hardware or saggy butt spacers. With new springs I’m not sure they would be needed.

2- Going with raised king springs and 1” lift / 2” trailing arm spacer kit. Again, not sure if I’d need additional kit.

The end result will be the same as far as lifted height goes but different suspension geometry.

Thoughts?

I’m looking to get things ordered and installed over the next couple weeks before my next project and I’m tired of bottoming out the rear suspension all the time on even mild dips in the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
17,350 Posts
For load carrying I went with raised Kings + 2" lift + trailing arm spacer.

In your case perhaps consider this for the rear coupled with standard Kings & 2" lift in the front.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How many miles have you put on since the lift? Raised springs is 1.4” then add the lift and you are at almost 3 1/2”... Have you had any CV problems? From what I’ve been able to find it hasn’t been recommended to go much over 2”? Does yours sit pretty level? My one concern is not wanting to go much higher in the rear because I don’t want to have a lot of rake when not loaded. I’m usually loaded on the road for around a week then back home unloaded for 3-4 weeks.

·
Administrator
17,350 Posts
Then stick with the same lift at either end; as the Kings are a progressive spring they should counter any sag. I've had one CV joint replaced.

The Kings and strut top blocks have been used for many many years along with custom struts and trailing arm blocks which were added in 2009; no idea of miles but the original setup handled some very challenging trips in the Australian outback. More on the current setup here:
https://offroadsubarus.com/showthread.php?t=953
https://offroadsubarus.com/showthread.php?t=1162

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just to update.... I ended up replacing the front axles with HD Cardone, new KYB struts all around, group n top hats in the front (reused the tears), standard height King springs in the rear and ADF 2” front / 2 3/8” rear lift.

I’ve had the lift in for a couple weeks now and let me say that I love it! The factory rear struts were shot and the new KYB’s have really brought new life to my ride. So glad I went with standard height kings as recommended by ADF and the quality of the lift is top notch. I ended up gaining 2 1/2” from the ground to the fender opening in the front and 4” in the rear.

Before/After

1 - 5 of 5 Posts