Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Forester auto
11 Posts
'06 is ATF-HP. If you don't want to get it from Subaru, just google ATF-HP and you should find all the information you need. You can get it from a number of sources, including Beck-Arnley, which stocks all Subaru spec fluids. Valvoline, Mobil 1, and Amsoil also all make multi-vehicle synthetic transmission fluids which claim to be compatible with it.
Not heard of the ATF_HP. Will check it out.
thecruiser

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,712 Posts
Mine IS an '06. But which Dex were you referring to? (Dex-3 or Dex-6)
thecruiser
Either would work on the Pre '06 I don't know if the III is still available. The VI is Backward compatible for the III But you need the Subaru HP anyway.

·
Registered
2005 Impreza RS 4EAT (sob)
431 Posts
This may be a stupid question, but my dad just changed the oil on my car and I was there to watch. Is there a way to take off the plug so that it doesn't spill everywhere? The oil hadn't been changed in forever so it was quite dark and black and kinda icky to watch it spill all over. Not that I mind getting a little dirty, but that's kinda gross.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,538 Posts
This may be a stupid question, but my dad just changed the oil on my car and I was there to watch. Is there a way to take off the plug so that it doesn't spill everywhere? The oil hadn't been changed in forever so it was quite dark and black and kinda icky to watch it spill all over. Not that I mind getting a little dirty, but that's kinda gross.
Do a search on Fumoto valve :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

G

·
How do I know what the equivalent is?
"For 2006 models and later, you need Subaru ATF-HP or equivalent fluid."
The dealership was NO help!

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Forester 2.5x Automatic 4 Cylinder AWD
55 Posts
Thanks for the great info! Is the ATF dipstick tube different from the ATF dipstick? When I remove the ATF dipstick, should I have an external tube handy to insert before inserting the funnel? Or can I just remove the dipstick and insert the funnel? Or is there a tube down in there that I can pull out?

-RollASubie

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts
I pray to god that people read this before doing anything on their car or changing the oil.

I have been hearing and reading of way too many first time wrenchers draining the wrong oil.
Yup on '14 - '18(may be other years) , the front diff has a plug on both driver and passenger side(US PERSPECTIVE FOLLOWS)
.....driver side fills the trans...
.....passenger side fills the diff.

It would be an easy chore to drain the front diff of 75-90 GL-5 and then put a quart+ of same into your CVT(thinking you just filled your diff)
...which is now EMPTY and will whine like an old bus.
Your CVT wont be happy either.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts