• 2008 XT for 23k

Votes: 8 29.6%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Limited
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 Forester XT, Charcoal on black leather (my second favorite), 67k miles, really good condition, asking $16k.
or
2008 Forester XT, White with tan leather (my personal favorite), 19k miles, perfect condition, asking $23k.
If I had tons of money, I wouldn't be asking this question as it would obviously be the 2008. I'm asking because getting the '08 would be difficult for me, and the '06 would not be.

·
Registered
2002 SG XT Auto
3,489 Posts
Think you've just answered your own question mate. Have fun with it.

·
Official sf.org decal guy
2006 FXT
12,367 Posts
I agree. No need to over extend yourself (especially since you know you would be).

White is a bad-donkey color for a Forester but so is the Charcoal. If they are both Limited models you're not losing anything. I think the only real differences are the 06 is OBDII (the 08 is CAN-BUS) and the 08 has the tire-pressure monitoring (a PITA if you plan on swapping wheels).

If the 08 is a Sport model I would STILL pick the 06 because with the extra left over cash you could easily by the 'STi' add-ons and be left with the Sport look and the Limited goodies (eg. heated wipers, heated mirrors, heated seats, etc)

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS
74 Posts
No question, get the one that leaves ya with some spare cash.

·
Registered
2018 XT Touring CVT
1,294 Posts
That 2008 is way overpriced, the Sport model was the cheaper version when new.
The 2006 is priced OK.

If they are 4EATs, don't worry, they are easy to find.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Limited
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I'm pretty sure I can get it for 15 otd. 13500 would be ideal, but we'll see. Sub dealers around here are pretty stiff.

·
Registered
2009 2.5X EJ253 Manual
2,802 Posts
Dealers or individual (private) sellers? Pre-owned vehicles are cash cows for dealers, as they usually have only current auction market wholesale in the car or less. If dealers, they probably have 17K in the '08 and 12 or 13 in the '06. I'm not trying to make them out as being predatory, its just the way it works. Usually a lot of markup in pre-owned...

I still say get the '06.

·
Registered
2009 2.5X EJ253 Manual
2,802 Posts
Go on intelliprice.com, it gives pretty close to auction wholesale usually. Use that as a baseline to work up from. Dont expect to buy for wholesale, they're not going to break-even or take a skinning but use it as a base for your initial offer which I would shoot about $1000 over wholesale. Most dealers aren't going to let anything go unless they can earn at least 2K off it, if its an in demand model in good cond. And that is not an unreasonable profit in my opinion, IF the car is nice and has good service/maintenance records. The only way to get under that is to know a dealer who will hook you up and go to the auction for you with your order in mind... but then you are taking a chance on a random vehicle maybe from who knows where and who knows what kind of service history.... but such is the risk of shopping at the auto auction. So then with this in mind there is really nothing wrong with allowing the dealer a reasonable profit on a car you like that fits your criteria.

·
Registered
2010 XT 4eat
604 Posts
if your paying $23k you might as well just buy a new one.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Limited
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The white one is a private seller in Mesa, it's on auto trader. The other one is at a dealership. And no offense to anyone here but I would never buy post 08. It seems to me that they are no longer unique, and with less power? Not quite sure what happened to the forester.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Limited
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
we just settled on $15,096 OTD for the silver '06. As long as it is as promised, I should be looking at a wonderful new vehicle. Thanks to everyone who's helped along the way. Couldn't have done it without you. Not as well anyways.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
1,142 Posts
The link is wrong. It's an auto. $16K is a little high for an 06.

It does look clean, does it come with any kind of warranty/history?

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Limited
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the salesman just drove it yesterday to check on some things i asked about and he wrote me saying, man, that car's a lot faster than i thought it would be. I said, yeah, I hear that a lot about these xt's.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Limited
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It is finally home. It has been well taken care of, fast,had more options than I thought, and I couldn't find a flaw. Pics to come later.I'm busy looking at it. If you want to see a pic of it, scroll all the way up and look at the car behind subaruforester.org.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts