Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With a little guy now in the family I bought a Chariot trailer so the rear seat and hatch are full, no more storing bikes inside with the seats folded down. I bought an OEM hitch from Subaru (think its 1.25) to put bikes on the rear. Neither my wife nor I are tall so I don't want a roof mount. I also want to mount the bikes on a wheel/frame based hitch so they don't sway back 'n forth while driving.

Forester has coilovers so the ride will be firm, not jaring.

Requirements:

- Uber secure on long trips. We may bring bikes on a long trip so it needs to stay secure for hours at a time.

- Needs to fit: 2 MTB & 1 hybrid (only 2 @ a time). None of the frames have extreme angles, the MTB's have a slope on the top tube but not TREK crazy like their older CF frames

- Must fold DOWNWARDS so I can get into the hatch with the rack mounted. Preferably folds down even with bikes mounted.

- Would be nice feature: Little guy will grow up so maybe 3 of us will bike @ one time. Possible add-on carrier feature.

And BTW, which do you think are better ? The racks that mount only by the wheels or the ones that also have the frame clamp ?

Here's what I've found from rackattack.com

Thule 917XT T2 Bike Hitch 1.25 Inch
$ 377.95

Thule 990XT Doubletrack
$269.95

Yakima StickUp
$ 251.99

Yakima HoldUp 1
$ 359.10

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT Sports 4EAT
545 Posts
I have had 2 Yakima Hold Up racks, they are nice but very heavy. I sell both brands and they are all decent, I don't love the ones that touch the top tube just because I'm anal and have a few Carbon Fiber bikes. I am looking at the new Kuat (you can get it with a work stand built in!) right now and they really want me to get them in my shop.

http://www.kuatinnovations.com/index.php?page=sherp_features

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What's your take on racks that hold onto the wheels vs the frame ? Myself, I don't care if it makes a little mark as I'm more concerned with a secure bike that isn't going to fall off.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT Sports 4EAT
545 Posts
I prefer to hold the wheels, but holding the frame will save you a bit of scratch. They are both equally secure I think.

·
Administrator
2016 & 2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,801 Posts
Allen rack is quite a bit cheaper than the 'name brands', well made, and available at Dick's Sporting Goods. At least it was a few years ago.

Mine got bikes from Maryland to New Hampshire at highway speed with no problems whatever.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,431 Posts
We use the Sport Rack 2EZ and love it... very secure and easy to mount/dismount the bikes. It also folds to provide access to the hatch door. Under $160 at amazon.com.

SportRack 2EZ

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Or support your local shop:chair:
Not a chance smarty pants. I really tried, went to see them and find out how their CDN pricing compares to US pricing. They would knock off $20, that's it.

US $210
CDN $400

Not even close. I'm a big supporter of "Buy Canadian" but I'm not going to support a business model that gouges the customer unessarily. The fact that I could buy one unit for 1/2 the price they sell theirs for retail tell me someone's making a hella profit. Not from me you don't.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X
7 Posts
Thanks for the tip on Swagman. Anyone have knowledge on whether to get a 2" or 1.25" hitch? Are the 2" models more stable?
Best access to rear hatch is with swing away (not just tilt back) racks such as Yakima Swing Daddy or Thule Revolver; both of those require 2" hitch. Other types of racks often made for both sizes. There are adapters from 1.25" to 2", but note that max. tongue weight is reduced by half with adapter. Plus adding adapter may put the rack even further out from vehicle. Also, check what the bike rack offers in way of anti-sway bolt. I'm happy with a Curt 2" hitch and a swing away rack that is predecessor of the current big name swing aways. (Just wish I could stand the Forester front seats, then all would be well.)

·
06 X Auto
2006 Auto Auto
976 Posts
Hmmm...

I like the swing out action...that's what I hate about the internet...so many choices. haha. Thanks for all the info everyone. =o)

-Speaking of local bike shops, the one i used to go to is now just a high pressure sales machine. I hate how you can pick any part or bike in the place and the salesman gives the 'I just bought one of those and I love it!' line. Right, this out-of-shape kid making $10 an hour has a $5300 bike. Just listen to the customer and make a smaller sale. Well, they lost my business lately when they kept hounding me to buy a new cruiser. I'm fixing up an old 1978 Schwinn Spitfire. Now, if they would have listened to me and sold me what I wanted, they would have made about $300 in sales of parts instead of pushing a cheap $175 'New' cruiser on me. I did find a good local shop to help me (15 miles further but great guys) and now they get my business.

--thanks for checking Silke

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If it makes you feel better I actually did support my LBS earlier this spring. I purchased a Chariot Cougar 2 bike trailer, freaking expensive but they work really well. CDN made product that is properly priced, I would only save $50 to buy it USA so I gladly purchased it from the shop where I've bought a lot of bikes over the years.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts