Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not to compare with outback 3.6R, I like CVT.
Can not find a 14FXT to test drive because they are flying out of dealer's parking lot.

Has anybody have experience driving both at 30mph, 60 mph, and 80 mph?
Please I need your input.

I tested outback 2.5i limited at 80mph, really loud.
At low speed, I can hear CVT whining too although not that loud.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
801 Posts
Apart from the AC going full blast, they're pretty quiet when coasting MHO. Initial acceleration depending on how heavy your foot is can be loud, but that can be modulated with the rate of gas you give it.

Not to compare with outback 3.6R, I like CVT.
Can not find a 14FXT to test drive because they are flying out of dealer's parking lot.

Has anybody have experience driving both at 30mph, 60 mph, and 80 mph?
Please I need your input.

I tested outback 2.5i limited at 80mph, really loud.
At low speed, I can hear CVT whining too although not that loud.

·
Premium Member
2014 2.0 XT yes
2,752 Posts
I have only driven the XT, but I find it to be very quiet. All things being equal, the turbo engine with stock exhaust will be quieter (turbos reduce engine noise). I've seen a couple of YouTube videos comparing 2.5 vs 2.0XT Foresters that confirm this.

You can hear some intake-hiss under boost with the XT. It's not very loud, and I think it sounds cool.

CVT noise is non-existent except under heavy engine braking, where you can hear some chain-like noise. The engine does not have to work hard to cruise at any legal speed -- there's lots of extra power on tap at all times. Under acceleration and cruising, all you hear are the wind and the tires.

It's quite a serene cabin overall.

·
Premium Member
12,785 Posts
I have only driven the XT, but I find it to be very quiet. All things being equal, the turbo engine with stock exhaust will be quieter (turbos reduce engine noise). I've seen a couple of YouTube videos comparing 2.5 vs 2.0XT Foresters that confirm this.

You can hear some intake-hiss under boost with the XT. It's not very loud, and I think it sounds cool.

CVT noise is non-existent except under heavy engine braking, where you can hear some chain-like noise. The engine does not have to work hard to cruise at any legal speed -- there's lots of extra power on tap at all times. Under acceleration and cruising, all you hear are the wind and the tires.

I agree with all of the above.

The main noise I hear is from the tires, because these OEM Duelers are not the quietest by any means.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thank you for your information. I wish I can find a FXT to test somewhere.
They are too hot!!!!

·
Registered
2018 Forester Touring XT 6 speed
68 Posts
Thank you for your information. I wish I can find a FXT to test somewhere.
They are too hot!!!!
Call Heuberger Subaru they always have them in stock. I custom ordered mine and just got the actual VIN in today.

Best wishes,

-Nate

·
Registered
2014 XT Touring CVT
184 Posts
These OEM Duelers are not the quietest by any means.
Hey Josh, looking back would you have upgraded tires right off the bat? Or is it pretty minor annoyance? The tires on my Escape drive me crazy on long trips, but we're getting a new car soon... so I never replaced them.

·
Premium Member
12,785 Posts
Hey Josh, looking back would you have upgraded tires right off the bat? Or is it pretty minor annoyance? The tires on my Escape drive me crazy on long trips, but we're getting a new car soon... so I never replaced them.
It is not bad enough to be annoying... just the rest of the car is so quite, you hear mainly tire noise.

The poor performance of the tire in wet and snow would make me think more seriously about an upgrade though.

·
Registered
2014 XT Touring CVT
184 Posts
The poor performance of the tire in wet and snow would make me think more seriously about an upgrade though.
Yeah, looks like people aren't very happy about the OEM tires... looking at TireRack.com now... and I'm going to be driving a lot this winter in snow Illinois to Michigan and back...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts