Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2001 forester
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey which is the best oil for a 01 forester? Synthetic? Convensional? and what viscosity is best?

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
36,968 Posts
Let the next "oil war" begin.Wait..my bad didn't notice this was an Amsoil Thread. Sorry
Because of where the poster placed his question, the "brand" has been preselected. :smile:

Try every brand and type and get it tested by blackstone laboratories and you tell us what is best...lol.
Yes, must be tested! :wink:

Bobby...

·
Registered
2001 forester
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
haha i really was thinking of picking up some amsoil, but im not sure which one to get 5w30 etc...

·
Registered
2001 forester
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
can you also really run with amsoil (or synthetic altogether) for 1 oil change a year?

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
13,438 Posts
can you also really run with amsoil (or synthetic altogether) for 1 oil change a year?
I wouldn't go a year/12,000 miles without an oil analysis on any oil. 1 year/6000 miles no problem with even a dino oil (usually). And Amsoil being a 'true' syn should do fine.

·
Registered
2009 Forester
223 Posts

Yes, you can.

AMSOIL Signature Series 0W-30 100% Synthetic Motor Oil is what comes highest recommended. You can order from that link as well.

Service Life
AMSOIL Signature Series 0W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil is recommended for extended drain intervals in unmodified(1), mechanically sound(2) gasoline fueled vehicles as follows:

Normal Service(3) – Up to 35,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first.
Severe Service(4) – Up to 17,500 miles or one year, whichever comes first.
• Replace AMSOIL Ea oil filter at the time of oil change up to 25,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first (other brands at standard OEM* intervals).
• In all non-gasoline fueled vehicle applications, extend the oil change interval according to oil analysis or follow the OEM* drain interval.

*OEM - Original Equipment Manufacturer

(1) Engines operating under modified conditions are excluded from extended drain recommendations. Examples include the use of performance computer chips; non-OEM approved exhaust, fuel or air induction systems; and the use of fuels other than those recommended for normal operation by the manufacturer.

(2) Mechanically sound engines are in good working condition and do not, for example, leak oil or consume excessive amounts, are not worn out, do not overheat, do not leak anti-freeze and have properly working emission control systems. AMSOIL recommends repairing malfunctioning engines prior to the installation of AMSOIL synthetic oils.

(3) Personal vehicles frequently traveling greater than 10 miles (16km) at a time and not operating under severe service.

(4) Turbo or supercharged vehicles, commercial or fleet vehicles, extensive engine idling, first and subsequent use of AMSOIL in vehicles with over 100,000 miles, daily short trip driving less than 10 miles (16km), frequent towing, plowing, hauling or dusty condition driving.

AMSOIL Ea full-flow oil filters are designed for extended drain intervals. They stop smaller particles, flow more oil and last longer than regular filters. For best performance, use AMSOIL Ea full-flow oil filters.

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT
4 Posts
If the vehicle is still under warranty, that long of a change interval could cause a problem. Go to the AMSOIL site and fill in the vehicle info. The site will give you data for your vehicle. The signature series is really good but not if your going to follow Subaru change interval. Look at the SAE 5W-30 (ASLQT) or the XL 5W-30 (XLFQT). A little more cost effective.

·
Registered
2009 Forester
223 Posts
The XL series oils are not as good as the better AMSOIL ASL and SSO oils. The XL line uses some Group III technology and we developed to be comparable and price competitive with Mobil's products (which are Group III). AMSOIL ASL, SSO, and their whole line (other than XL oil and PCO) are Group IV and V oils.

-Chuck

·
Registered
15 FORESTER CVT
316 Posts
I've always wanted to try AMSOIL, but never had it readily available and guess that is why I haven't, poor excuse.

Just a personal note on oil change intervals which should start a WWW scuffle. :biggrin: I grew up around a family that owns and operates heavy equipment which includes trucks that see more miles in 5 years then most people will drive in a lifetime and oil analysis is a routine thing. Road truck oil change intervals are awe-inspiring when you see a routine 3K+ of driving in just one week. My personal vehicles get it's synthetic dumped at 15K with high quality filters & top off every 3K. The verdict on a few examples with over 100K from oil analysis is nominal wear. Odd how up front the oil change is expensive, but over the service life of each full change it's actually cheaper with just adding a filter & top-off at 3K.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts