Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
06 XT Limited
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've tried searching google among other places and I such at forum navigation so if someone can point me to the right place I'll be happy to read up ur my question is I want to buy a motor to build for my 06 xt but I'm lost as to which I can use and can't. Are all ej blocks the same over the years other than being closed/opened deck and internals or do I need a specific turbo block to rebuild...thnx in advance appreciate all the info I can get.

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
3,141 Posts
Throw this into Google for results: site:https://www.subaruforester.org open deck vs closed deck

To get you started, the turbo blocks are different to the non turbo blocks.

The only Closed deck EJ engines I know of were from the 22B Impreza with oil squirters on the piston skirts (EJ22) and the old old Legacy with the 2.2 turbo (EJ22) engine that was sold in the US and Aus from memory. Not all of the EJ22 are closed deck

Turning an EJ20 into a 2.1 Litre engine isn't unheard of, nor is 2.6 Litre from a 2.5 block

How much power are you looking to make ? From memory IAG in Maryland, USA do a Closed deck conversion for EJ25 Turbo blocks...... Or they did in the past anyway.

Edit: The EJ255 (Turbo) in the Pre 06 engines are different to the 06+ engines in block, head and head gasket design - The 06+ heads have better cooling generally.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts