Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to buy a 2010 forester 2.5x premium, but i'm not sure which transmission would be best manual or automatic.... i really want the manual transmission but don't know which is best... any opinions...??? which will be better when off roading?? does the AWD system work the same on both trans. or is there a difference??? This will b my first Subaru... so i don't know much...

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
3,121 Posts
Get what ever you want to drive for the next few years, there both really ok.. Some say the auto is better for off roading because it can crawl slowly better without slipping and burning the clutch. It's really just a matter of personal preference.

·
Registered
2010 Forester Prem. 5 spd
86 Posts
I have a 2010 with manual and short-throw shifter. It's a nice setup and I get about 28/30 mpg on the highway. I like manual because I like making my own decisions about when it's appropriate to shift. However, in a city setting with stop-and-go the manual is a BIG pain and the mileage has been abysmal.

Bruin - could be UCLA, or Berkeley Cal? I'd say if you are in LA go automatic and if you drive the hills of Berkeley*/Highway One in No. Cal go manual.

CapeAnn

* hill assist built into Subaru newer models?

·
Registered
2010 Forester
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey thanx for the info.... and yes bruins is for UCLA!!! #1 BABY!!! haha....lol so i do live in the LA area but luckily i dont deal with traffic 2 much.. but i do alot of outdoor activities so i want the tranny that will help me the most when im on my adventures... and keep in mind i don't have much experience driving off road... usually we take my friends Nissan Xterra and he drives so i'm not sure how driving stick would work out for me when going through mud, up hills with loose gravel and stuff like that...

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5X Manual
8 Posts
If you don't keep a car past it's warranty period, my thoughts won't matter. I haven't had any experience with a Subaru automatic (and hope that I never have), but in general, I think automatics suck. I've kept a lot of vehicles for long periods of time and of the few with automatics, too many of them (four of six) had to have the transmissions rebuilt.

AWD is controlled by a viscous coupling in my 2004 manual transmission Forester. It is electronically controlled in the automatic Forester.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
372 Posts
Get what ever you want to drive for the next few years, there both really ok.. Some say the auto is better for off roading because it can crawl slowly better without slipping and burning the clutch. It's really just a matter of personal preference.
+1 for planning down the road with personal preference in mind. I have READ ON THIS BOARD that the auto will be a little better for medium to heavy off-roading because of what TC2000 said. But I have also read that the auto (though I'm not sure if it has changed in the 09-10's) annoys people because it tends to shift at odd times. Again, just my experience being around this forum. I personally have a 5 speed and I wouldn't have it any other way, and that's my preference (only based on the fact I have never owned anything else).

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
30,106 Posts
i want to buy a 2010 forester 2.5x premium, but i'm not sure which transmission would be best manual or automatic.... i really want the manual transmission but don't know which is best... any opinions...??? which will be better when off roading?? does the AWD system work the same on both trans. or is there a difference??? This will b my first Subaru... so i don't know much...
Have a look at this sticky in the transmission forum: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f89/automatic-vs-manual-1883/

·
Registered
2010 Forester
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Awsome! alright thanks again peeps for all the intell... i also have only owned cars with manual tranny... and have always loved it... the only reason why i was thinking of mabey getting the auto was for the off roading but i was also afraid of the cost to fix the auto trans should it ever go..., but overall i also think i would b satisfied with the manual... thanks again, much appreciated...!!!
Hey (pleiad7), thanks alot for that... it was exactly what i was looking for..!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts