Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT Auto
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm just wondering if the auto gearbox out of any XT Forester from 2003-2008 can replace my auto one on my 2003 XT?

I was quoted $3500 to rebuild it but i may be able to get a low km second hand one cheap. I'm getting a thud every time the gearbox changes from 2nd to 3rd now & it's getting annoying lol. I know i'm risking it with a 2nd hand one, but it's a much cheaper option right now :)

Thanks!!

·
Registered
2004 Sube slushy
558 Posts
I just did this in my 04 fxt w/an 06 trans form a Legacy-worked great save for the rear diff ratio. So added an 06 diff form a Leg and now am having an axle problem-30mm in the FXT and 27 in the Leg. I would have sold the car as was before swapping(had a few interested takers) rather than spend months on this BS.

Find a new shop and pay about 1800 to R?R your old unit. BTW, our sube stealership wanted about $4k for their rebuilt.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT Auto
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just did this in my 04 fxt w/an 06 trans form a Legacy-worked great save for the rear diff ratio. So added an 06 diff form a Leg and now am having an axle problem-30mm in the FXT and 27 in the Leg. I would have sold the car as was before swapping(had a few interested takers) rather than spend months on this BS.

Find a new shop and pay about 1800 to R?R your old unit. BTW, our sube stealership wanted about $4k for their rebuilt.
Thanks, your comment just saved me a lot of stuffing around :)
Will just fix it i reckon.

Cheers,

·
Registered
00 00 00
6 Posts
give norwood automatics a try they are in Thebarton near the brewery talk to grant , it would be good to get a second opinion before spending $3500 on a rebuild. has the pan been taken off to have a look yet or was it just driven and quoted as a rebuild?

Cheers Paul

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT Auto
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
give norwood automatics a try they are in Thebarton near the brewery talk to grant , it would be good to get a second opinion before spending $3500 on a rebuild. has the pan been taken off to have a look yet or was it just driven and quoted as a rebuild?

Cheers Paul
Hey yeah the pan has been taken off and there were bits of copper in there the mechanic said. When the car warms up though it seems a lot better with the gears changing though...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts